Sign in to follow this  
BillCusick

P3d displays - & 2080 Ti systems noise

Ray...
I've been following your posts re your Benq. I like your system. Thanks for your postings.

I intend to replace my 6 year old system shortly, with a view to future proofing (whether that is at all possible with the rapid rate of advances in Flight sims).

My current setup has my 3770K/970 feeding three monitors for GA flying. The 970 struggles with the FSL 'bus 😢

I'm looking at three monitors with a vertical resolution of 1600:

Acer XR382CQKbmijqphuzx 21:9 Curved 3840 x 1600.
Dell U3818DW 37.5" Curved IPS 21:9 3840 x 1600.
LG 38WK95C-W Curved 3840 x 1600

I am very interested in how P3d interacts with all these differing resolutions - since my system is intended mainly for P3d. I'd love to have some detail of what resolutions P3d can run at - is it adaptable to all those lower pixel counts that appear below your cards list of resolutions - if so - what happens with, say, 3840 x 1600 ? Will all those virtual cockpits have round gauges ? Will P3d fill such a display ?

Anyway, you get my drift.

Postings regarding 21:9 monitors and P3d are rather rare. Do I stay with 16:9 (or 16:10) with a 'Very large' display. rather than a stretched display to replace two of my three screens ?

Questions, questions.

I have become used to displaying two full Explorer listings side by side. (Ok, not Explorer, but A43 file manager), and several jpg's or .avi files simultaneously, on my Dell 3011 at 2560 x 1600. From what I've read, the 21:9 format is ideal for video/films etc. However, it is data re P3d I'm keen to see. Black bands on each side viewing video etc will not bother me. I suspect that the 21:9 format will become 'normal' in the future ?

Most frustrating. The data are rarer than hen's teeth....

...and a most important question is - at what viewing distance is a 38" curved 21:9 display most comfortable at ? (especially for longish flights).

I'm also VERY keen to get info re the noise produced where the 9900K/2080 TI are used. Again - no info.

If anyone can assist - this is a possible type of system I'm thinking of:

https://www.scan.co.uk/3xs/configurator/watercooled-overclocked-custom-gaming-pc-uk-nvidia-carbon-fluid-extreme

Do these custom chillers offer a 'quiet' solution ? or is it hype ? I'm really not bothered re system/GCU noise with P3d, but when editing video/word processing...noise, or lack of it, is rather important, especially in a quiet room. OK, the system will 'adapt' when not using graphics intensive tasks, but will such a system be quiet under those circumstances ?

any info would be very welcome.

Regards
Bill

1 hour ago, BillCusick said:

I'm also VERY keen to get info re the noise produced where the 9900K/2080 TI are used. Again - no info.

If anyone can assist - this is a possible type of system I'm thinking of:

https://www.scan.co.uk/3xs/configurator/watercooled-overclocked-custom-gaming-pc-uk-nvidia-carbon-fluid-extreme

Do these custom chillers offer a 'quiet' solution ? or is it hype ? I'm really not bothered re system/GCU noise with P3d, but when editing video/word processing...noise, or lack of it, is rather important, especially in a quiet room. OK, the system will 'adapt' when not using graphics intensive tasks, but will such a system be quiet under those circumstances ?

any info would be very welcome.

Hi Bill - Only comment on the linked system - yes, it will give you great (likely quiet) performance, but you might consider aiming at a much higher OC, to the 5.0GHz plus range, to give yourself the best possible P3D performance.  Many of the folks here that are going for new systems are shooting for the highest CPU OC they can get.  My system (spec in sig) is super quiet with even the most demanding P3D scenarios and I'm running an OC of 5.0GHz with a heavy duty AIO cooler.  My temps average at 70C throughout all P3D scenarios with the CPU loaded at an average 85%.  I couldn't be happier.

You'll get lot of opinions, but you can never go wrong shooting for the highest CPU OC you can afford, all things considered.

Edited by dmiannay

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

@BillCusick, hello Bill. Hope you're keeping well. You should get yourself to Cosford next October so we can catch up. I drag Pete Dowson there too. Just like old times.

Onto your questions. Windows and therefore P3D will accept any resolution. It's driven by what the monitor can provide. So no problems with P3D being able to run at 3840*1600. What I cannot advise you on is the following:-

Curved 21:9 display. That is a personal choice only you can make. There is no right or wrong answer. What I'm uncertain of is whether round gauges will stay round. Maybe another ultra-wide monitor user can help there.

Deciding between 16:9 or 21:9 is again, a personal thing. More pixels to update with the wider displays but less work than running multiple monitors so performance will be better.

A vertical resolution of 1600 is known as QHD+. The 16:9 equivalent is 2560*1440. It's higher than QHD as the + suggests but falls short of UHD which is 2160. But I don't know of any ultra-wide UHD monitors as the pixel count would probably be close to 10,000,000 so updating those at 40-50 times a second would be beyond all but the most powerful graphics cards. You're looking at a 2080Ti although a 1080Ti would do a reasonable job assuming you can find one.

I know Pete Dowson runs a 21:9 Dell monitor for general deskwork and he loves the space it gives him.

Regarding viewing distance stick with what you have now. Around 2-3ft is fine even at UHD as I run because the fine detail is there. Sit too far away and you don't see it.

I wouldn't worry about system noise. My Chillblast i7-8086K / 1080Ti is whisper quiet even with the fans running. When you have the engines running in P3D any extra noise will be drowned out. Scan make good systems. My previous one was from them and it was 50/50 between them and Chillblast. Both good companies.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Ray Proudfoot
Typos

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I use an ultra-wide curved asus rog swift pg348q which is lower resolution. personal preferences:
I don't use wide aspect within P3D and I don't use the whole screen width for the flight sim (about 66%). fully zoomed out in-cockpit (centred detente) with a 737 I can see and operate AP altitude but not the right hand CMDs. for the rest of the real estate I have littlenavmap running. I do have trackir but tend not to use it.
with wide aspect there's too much of that 'fish eye' effect for me. normal/standard aspect ratio works for me; others would certainly have no issues with wide. no black bands.
outside of the sim, the DPI is a bit too high for my old eyes and I have an old(er) dell 24" 1920*1200 on the side for that.

23 hours ago, dmiannay said:

Hi Bill -

You'll get lot of opinions, but you can never go wrong shooting for the highest CPU OC you can afford, all things considered. 

Hi Doug..

Yes...I intend to go for a 5GHz system. That system I linked to may not be my final choice - I'm just curious why that system is maxed at 4.4 GHz, with such a polished chiller. I suspected that running that system at 5GHz might be noisy - else why limit it to 4.4GHz - a cheaper system was advertised at 5 GHz - with more or less the same components - except it did not have a coolant reservoir. Hence my question re fan noise.

22 hours ago, jpf said:

I use an ultra-wide curved asus rog swift pg348q which is lower resolution. personal preferences:
I don't use wide aspect within P3D and I don't use the whole screen width for the flight sim (about 66%). fully zoomed out in-cockpit (centred detente) with a 737 I can see and operate AP altitude but not the right hand CMDs. for the rest of the real estate I have littlenavmap running. I do have trackir but tend not to use it.
with wide aspect there's too much of that 'fish eye' effect for me. normal/standard aspect ratio works for me; others would certainly have no issues with wide. no black bands.
outside of the sim, the DPI is a bit too high for my old eyes and I have an old(er) dell 24" 1920*1200 on the side for that.

Hi jpf..

Thanks for your reply. That's the sort of info I need. I'm presuming that P3D will assume the native resolution of the display - I hope. That is why I asked re 'round gauges'.

Regards
Bill

23 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

@BillCusick, hello Bill. Hope you're keeping well. You should get yourself to Cosford next October so we can catch up. I drag Pete Dowson there too. Just like old times.

Onto your questions. Windows and therefore P3D will accept any resolution. It's driven by what the monitor can provide. So no problems with P3D being able to run at 3840*1600. What I cannot advise you on is the following:-

Curved 21:9 display. That is a personal choice only you can make. There is no right or wrong answer. What I'm uncertain of is whether round gauges will stay round. Maybe another ultra-wide monitor user can help there.

Deciding between 16:9 or 21:9 is again, a personal thing. More pixels to update with the wider displays but less work than running multiple monitors so performance will be better.

A vertical resolution of 1600 is known as QHD+. The 16:9 equivalent is 2560*1440. It's higher than QHD as the + suggests but falls short of UHD which is 2160. But I don't know of any ultra-wide UHD monitors as the pixel count would probably be close to 10,000,000 so updating those at 40-50 times a second would be beyond all but the most powerful graphics cards. You're looking at a 2080Ti although a 1080Ti would do a reasonable job assuming you can find one.

I know Pete Dowson runs a 21:9 Dell monitor for general deskwork and he loves the space it gives him. 

Regarding viewing distance stick with what you have now. Around 2-3ft is fine even at UHD as I run because the fine detail is there. Sit too far away and you don't see it.

I wouldn't worry about system noise. My Chillblast i7-8086K / 1080Ti is whisper quiet even with the fans running. When you have the engines running in P3D any extra noise will be drowned out. Scan make good systems. My previous one was from them and it was 50/50 between them and Chillblast. Both good companies.

Hope that helps.

Ray..

My last two systems were from Chillblast. I agree thay are an excellent company. When I'm ready, I'll probably go for one of their customised systems. I'm really not interested in bright lights or flashing colours - gives one migraine 🙂

I'm roughly 50cm from my current monitor. I can, if the new choice of display has a Vesa mount -  move it back a few cms, with a wall mounting.

If I can use it as a 'wider' display, and retain one of my current monitors for FS Commander, then I'll be happy. The wider display will be handy - I'm still dabbling in XML for scenery editing, and occasionally using assembler on my old system, using two displays for programming. I like having several docs open simultaneously - and I'm thinking that the curved screen will help with my 79 yr old eyes when viewing away from the centre of the screen....

I recall my successful assembler programming 3d clouds for FS5 - and Peter trying the code. Memories...

Regards
Bill

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BillCusick said:

I'm presuming that P3D will assume the native resolution of the display - I hope. That is why I asked re 'round gauges'.

P3D will use the native resolution. I tried a couple of things. normal aspect ratio will cover the same cockpit real estate whether windowed or 'full screen'. this should make the gauges look awful but it doesn't... perhaps that's attributable to the curved screen. as it is; I use the equivalent screen real estate of a 'normal' wide monitor and the rest for ancillaries.
If I switch to wide aspect ratio/full screen in P3D then on a GA aircraft that fish eye effect is dramatic. central focus is fine but edges are blown out of proportion. switching to windowed alleviates that and a satisfactory view is achievable by changing the window but seems a bit pointless when there's already a standard view.
many of the tube liner add-ons come with standard/wide configuration options and I would expect those to increase the width view to ultra-wide in standard mode without distortion. assuming you're interested in GA and 'round' gauges.. standard, non-wide aspect view is excellent (for me).
I certainly don't think you would be disappointed. panning around in a GA aircraft full screen/standard looks fantastic. gauges and labels are the correct shape         

all this not withstanding that screen ratios and whatnot can probably be adjusted in config files also. I don't bother with that myself.

Edited by jpf
  • Upvote 1

Dear Bill & All,

do you have already Chosen the monitor you want to buy?

I have just order my new PC setup and i´m trying to find anybody who has experience with the Dell U3818DW 37.5" Curved IPS 21:9 3840 x 1600 in P3D V4

Here is my new setup

Intel® Core™ i7-8700K, Prozessor (i9-990K is an i7-8700 with only 2 more cores AND is getting quite HOT = need custom water cooling +++ $$) 

Noctua NH-D15, 

ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO, Mainboard

ASUS GeForce RTX 2080 ROG STRIX OC GAMING

G.Skill DIMM 32 GB DDR4-3200 Kit

Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB, Solid State Drive (Boot) 

Samsung 860 PRO Nano SSD 1TB

Fractal Design Define R6 Blackout TG, Tower

7 x Noctua NF-A14 PWM

be quiet! Dark Power Pro P11 750W,

WD WD30EFRX 3 TB

If anybody has experience with the Dell while using it in P3d v4, every comment is very welcome!

I have seen so many information of this monitor but less near too 0 using it in P3D V4

Ok the Gsync is missing BUT with the new RTX 2080 Invidia Update:

Nvidia has announced at CES 2019 that it will bring G-Sync support to several FreeSync monitors, removing the need to buy a monitor specifically certified and branded by the leading GPU maker. 12 FreeSync displays have been confirmed to get G-Sync compatibility through a driver that will be released on January 15th.

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2019/1/7/18171631/nvidia-g-sync-support-freesync-monitors

unquote 

is this helpful? I have seen a lot of people saying this sync is only important when you have high frame rates?!

Also i have found some people who say OC this monitor to 75 Hz is not the problem

My way will be more to limit the FPS to 30 or 40 when possible in the Nvidia Inspector = sharper pictures.

In only use the PC for P3d V4 and for scenery design work and some other programs

Scenery i use:

Nearly 50 % of ORBX products + Aerosoft + PMDG + REX + .. 

Main question:

Is this setup good enough to handle P3d V4 with all the add on scenery + the Dell U38 with resolution 3440*1440 or better 3840 x 1600 maybe not with max settings but with constant 30 - 40 FPS or will this be a pit and the FPS will be less then 10 FPS?

In the near future i plan also to buy a second RTX 2080 for SLI use …= more power (wait for summer when prices are lower) 

Feel free to comment this! 

cheers 

Gerry 

On 1/22/2019 at 2:05 PM, CaptainXG said:

Here is my new setup

Intel® Core™ i7-8700K, Prozessor (i9-990K is an i7-8700 with only 2 more cores AND is getting quite HOT = need custom water cooling +++ $$) 

Noctua NH-D15, 

The Noctua NH-D15 is one of the best air coolers made, I use one in my system with one 140mm fan and one 120mm fan (for RAM clearance) along with AS5 thermal paste.

Just for reference, I run an i7 9700K @ 4.9ghz and it never gets above the upper 60's C, even during extended flying sessions, so i'm not at all certain you'd need custom water cooling with a 9900K.

Edited by SunDevil56