Sign in to follow this  
rictus

Clarification of VR support

Hi Guys,

I love my GTN 🙂 I use it for VFR support and for my recent challenge of embracing IFR properly (not just airliner FMC stuff!) 

I have also started using VR and the GTN is indispensible for assisting with position awareness, particularly when distance visibility is not quite as good. 

One thing I'd like to clarify - I can operate the knobs and buttons of the GTN bezel in the virtual cockpit, in VR, using my touch controllers no problem. However I cannot press on the touchscreen. If I pop the screen out as a floating window then I can operate the touchscreen with the touch controller. 

Is this correct? Or should I be able to press on the touchscreen while it's in the virtual cockpit bezel?

I updated the GTN and the trainer yesterday to the latest version (re-ran the installer again to make sure, no further updates). 

Thanks

Rich

Hi Rich and thank you for your kind words!

This is a known limitation of X-Plane their developers have already commented about when introducing VR. There is already a discussion about this and I've said we'll look whether to implement a 'known' hack or not to help workaround this limitation.

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

Fantastic - thank you for the prompt and knowledgeable reply as always 🙂

i don’t know how you did it but the GTN is a peach. The fact it uses the real GTN software just makes it the best!

one curiosity - I’ve got Garmin Pilot on my iPhone which can get position information from X-Plane. It saves files in the new .gplt format - any way to get those into the GTN?

thanks again,

Rich 

Thank you for your kind words!

Is this gnuplot file format? https://people.duke.edu/~hpgavin/gnuplot.html

I'm not sure there is anything pre-designed for this tasks, but there might be another option for you:

Like the real GTN, we do support 'Mark On Target'. It is a feature which when enabled, and when connected with an input switch, gives the pilot a command to add user waypoints at the current location!

This requires you enable the function in the device AFMS settings, then use the discrete input command either via keyboard shortcut (both simulators), or in X-Plane via our 'mark on target' command, or in FltSim via our 'mark on target' GPS command (see User's Manual for details).

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

It's the Garmin Pilot format: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/115856

Sorry - I should have clarified - this is the flightplan format that the application exports as.

Ironically Skydemon, which is another excellent application (both can receive position info from X-Plane or P3D) does have the ability to export into GFP format. But Garmin Pilot now exports to .GPLT (garmin pilot) format, with no option to export to GFP. I guess because in the real world they want you to purchase CONEXT to allow you to wirelessly transfer plans between your in-panel device and your mobile/watch whatever else supports it. Of course that's not going to work! but it would save me a lot of time to be able to sit with my phone and plan a flight, then export the plan to email and drop it into my GTN flightplans folder ready 😉