Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

Interested in the difference 3rd party mesh makes to P3D?

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Here are the coordinates. Just go into skew mode and head towards them.

45° 58′ 35″ N, 7° 39′ 31″ E

This is the best I could do based on the coordinates you gave Ray...

Certainly, it doesn't look as "needle like" as your's, but for a free mesh product I honestly can't complain.

oYnAtym.jpg

As for load times, and by that I mean "in sim" scenery rendering time, I think a lot of that depends on your hardware, namely the CPU and GPU, and your P3D config settings, which we all know can take a lot of fiddling around with to get just right for your particular setup.

For my setup I haven't found FreeMesh X to have much if any impact on performance, but on marginal systems that could be an entirely different story.

If you are going to spend a lot of time flying around mountain peaks and valleys, then a top notch payware mesh add on might be the way to go. For the rest of us I think FreeMesh X v2 is more than adequate.

4 minutes ago, ckyliu said:

I expect loading times would be the same, since your loading the same resolution of BGL. I don't think you can really do anything to optimise it, it's just a grid of data points. It's almost entirely dependent on how fast your storage is.

Good point.

I run P3D on an M2 NVMA SSD, it works great, load times for both the program and in sim scenery/aircraft loading are quite speedy, so no complaints here. I have pretty fast RAM as well if that makes a difference.

Edited by SunDevil56

@SunDevil56, thanks for making the effort. Yes, not as detailed as commercial mesh but certainly a lot better than no Matterhorn at all which ships with P3D.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 minute ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Yes, not as detailed as commercial mesh but certainly a lot better than no Matterhorn at all which ships with P3D.

Agreed.

Can't wait to see how some of this looks on my new BenQ UHD monitor... 😎

4 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Vic, I bought direct from Pilots. The name Stefan rings a bell. Certainly not from anyone called Justin. I’ve flown from Zurich to Milan this afternoon and the view was stunning. I know there are later versions but in all honesty how much will the Matterhorn change between versions? 😉

My bad Ray -  you said FSG and I *assumed* you were talking about FSGenesis not FSGlobal. Justin Thyme was the founder of FSGenesis and currently runs Toposim.

Sorry for the confusion - 

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

58 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

My bad Ray -  you said FSG and I *assumed* you were talking about FSGenesis not FSGlobal. Justin Thyme was the founder of FSGenesis and currently runs Toposim.

Sorry for the confusion - 

Vic

No worries Vic. Just glad I’m not losing my marbles. 😁

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

You've been coming here since 2002 and you STILL have marbles?!  :ohmy:

• Like 2

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Interested in better mesh, but I have been holding off due to the stories I've read about elevation problems at airports. Is this still the case ? Or are there easy solutions to it ?

i7-7700K @ 4.9 GHz, 32GB DDR4, GTX1080, 2 x Samsung 1TB NVMe, 1 x 3TB HDD, Windows 10 Prof

7 minutes ago, willy647 said:

Interested in better mesh, but I have been holding off due to the stories I've read about elevation problems at airports. Is this still the case ? Or are there easy solutions to it ?

Depends on what airports you have in mind. If it's Lukla - the feeder airport for Everest expeditions - I haven't a clue as that isn't the type of airport I fly into. But why limit yourself to relatively poor mesh for the sake of a few airports when your views will be transformed with either FS Global or FreeMesh?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

22 minutes ago, willy647 said:

I've not noted any airport elevation problems with Free Mesh X (even at Lukla..lol)

However, I have seen some elevation problems associated with ORBX vector, generally with non payware add on airports, but these are usually easily remedied with the Airport Elevation Correction tool in the settings at FTX Central.

• Like 1

I have used FSGenesis (now Toposim) for years.   I have tried others but rate Toposim above all others.

@ErichB, care to upload a shot of the Matterhorn for comparison purposes?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

2 hours ago, ErichB said:

I have used FSGenesis (now Toposim) for years.   I have tried others but rate Toposim above all others.

Several people seem to like this mesh, I'm thinking of giving it a try.

I was looking at the "planet earth bundle" for $40, but it says at the website "45 seperate downloads totaling 50 gb" which is kind of confusing to me... 50 gb isn't that huge of a download, not for me anyway, I could probably download that in 20 minutes or so, but why the 45 seperate downloads, that makes no sense...??

Do you guys think this whole earth bundle would offer an improvement over Free Mesh X..??

BTW Ray, if I get this i'll do a shot of the Matterhorn for you....😎

Edited by SunDevil56
  • Like 1

Just an additional note on this Toposim topic... If this "whole planet bundle" means I have to install 45 separate mesh scenery files in the scenery library, forget it... That's not going to happen, it's just too much work...😫

I have all my Free Mesh X regions BGL's combined in one folder simply called "Free Mesh X 2.0", it's installed just above Bathymetry in the P3D scenery library and it works perfectly.

If I could do something similar with the Toposim whole planet bundle I would probably go for it, but not if I have to install 45 individual mesh folders...

21 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

thanks for that but I was hoping for a shot of the Matterhorn so a comparison could be made.

https://goo.gl/images/zSQr8e         <--       The real thing

https://imgur.com/a/KwFCRQg       <--       with FreemeshX

not bad for a free addon if you ask me especially compared to the default mesh. The summit is still a bit round but unless you make the mesh manually you'll never get the true shape of it.

My only reserve is that there is kind of a second lower summit on the Hornly ridge wich does not exist irl

• Like 1