Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

Interested in the difference 3rd party mesh makes to P3D?

15 hours ago, SunDevil56 said:

Actually Toposim isn't free Ray, but no worries.

What are your thoughts about these multiple mesh folders in the P3D scenery library..?? Is there any advantage to disabling in the scenery library any of those that aren't actually in use at the time you are flying in a given area..?? BTW, the Toposim scenery files are all BGL's, so based on your comment to Neal, i'm guessing there won't be any penalty for just keeping them all enabled.

Thanks,

Scott

Scott, my mistake. You'll certainly get quicker load times if you disable areas you won't be flying in. So disable Europe, Asia etc when flying in Nth America and vice versa.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Scott, my mistake. You'll certainly get quicker load times if you disable areas you won't be flying in. So disable Europe, Asia etc when flying in Nth America and vice versa.

OK, thanks for the tip Ray.

By "load times" I assume you mean the time it takes for P3D to start up, versus scenery loading time..??

20 minutes ago, SunDevil56 said:

OK, thanks for the tip Ray.

By "load times" I assume you mean the time it takes for P3D to start up, versus scenery loading time..??

I think both are affected but the main extra delay is after you select an airport from the Scenario screen and Press OK.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Here's Devil's Tower in Wyoming with FS Global enabled and then without. Surprised? I am.

N44. 34. 68. W104 42.98 Alt 4745ft Heading 357.

Devils%20Tower.jpg?dl=0

Devils%20Tower_NoFSG.jpg?dl=0

Surprisingly very little difference. Looks like L-M have a higher LOD for North America than Europe and the rest of the world.

Edited by Ray Proudfoot

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Thanks for the scenery load time info Ray.

Here's a shot of devils tower, same location etc as your's. This is with Toposim mesh installed......

K3F1X00.jpg

I use toposim myself and have no complaints. I am quite happy with 45 odd zip files as they're based on continent/region/county, etc. and I download what I want when I need it.
on top of that, I have read comments from the developer in forums and he seems a genuinely nice person. 

Edited by jpf

3 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Here's Devil's Tower in Wyoming with FS Global enabled and then without. Surprised? I am.

N44. 34. 68. W104 42.98 Alt 4745ft Heading 357.Surprisingly very little difference.

Looks like L-M have a higher LOD for North America than Europe and the rest of the world.

Hello Ray,

here is why, from the Freemesh X site.

FreeMeshX is a global terrain mesh replacement for the stock terrain mesh and features LOD10 (38-m) coverage for almost the entire world.

LOD10 is equal to the same terrain level of detail used for the USA in the stock scenery.

What is seen in P3D is what came with FSX.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SunDevil56 said:

Here's a shot of devils tower, same location etc as your's. This is with Toposim mesh installed......

Not much different to mine or the default. Thanks.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 hour ago, nolonger said:

Hello Ray,

here is why, from the Freemesh X site.

What is seen in P3D is what came with FSX.

Thanks @nolonger. Pity they couldn’t treat the rest of the world the same.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

10 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Not much different to mine or the default. Thanks.

Not much difference in the general shape of the tower, i'll grant you that, but those ground textures, and the textures on the rock sure look a lot different in your pics...

I know it has nothing to do with mesh, but are those stock ground textures..?? I'm guessing they must be.

I'm using ORBX FTX Global Base textures, so that's probably the difference. It's no big deal either way, I was just curious.

20 minutes ago, SunDevil56 said:

Not much difference in the general shape of the tower, i'll grant you that, but those ground textures, and the textures on the rock sure look a lot different in your pics...

I know it has nothing to do with mesh, but are those stock ground textures..?? I'm guessing they must be.

I'm using ORBX FTX Global Base textures, so that's probably the difference. It's no big deal either way, I was just curious.

Nope. I’m also running FTX Global. I also have Ultimate Terrain USA which may explain the difference.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

17 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Nope. I’m also running FTX Global. I also have Ultimate Terrain USA which may explain the difference.

Huh, ok, well I also have Vector, all the ORBX landclass, and HD trees as well, so maybe that's the difference we are seeing.

1 minute ago, SunDevil56 said:

Huh, ok, well I also have Vector, all the ORBX landclass, and HD trees as well, so maybe that's the difference we are seeing.

Probably. If there were no differences then we could claim our money back.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I use FS Global 2018 FTX. As FlightSim Store closes we get offered a transfer to

Simmarket. Did someone here already transfered the product to Simmarket successfully?

I am following the given procedure exactly, got already 4 certificates, but it never works.

Peter

Peter

Win10/64/32,0GB, i9-9900KS@4.00GHz, Gigabyte 1080ti, P3Dv5.1

For those using Toposim Mesh, Flytampa Amsterdam and Orbx Global, Vector and LC, where have you placed your mesh layers in relation to other installations?