Jump to content

Ray Proudfoot

Interested in the difference 3rd party mesh makes to P3D?

Recommended Posts

15 hours ago, SunDevil56 said:

Actually Toposim isn't free Ray, but no worries.

What are your thoughts about these multiple mesh folders in the P3D scenery library..?? Is there any advantage to disabling in the scenery library any of those that aren't actually in use at the time you are flying in a given area..?? BTW, the Toposim scenery files are all BGL's, so based on your comment to Neal, i'm guessing there won't be any penalty for just keeping them all enabled.

Thanks,

Scott

Scott, my mistake. You'll certainly get quicker load times if you disable areas you won't be flying in. So disable Europe, Asia etc when flying in Nth America and vice versa.


Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v4.5, Intel i7-8086K o/c to 4.6Ghz, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, Asus Prime Z370-A mobo, 32Gb G.Skill DDR4 3000Mhz RAM, Win 10 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Scott, my mistake. You'll certainly get quicker load times if you disable areas you won't be flying in. So disable Europe, Asia etc when flying in Nth America and vice versa.

OK, thanks for the tip Ray.

By "load times" I assume you mean the time it takes for P3D to start up, versus scenery loading time..??


Scott

Share this post


Link to post
20 minutes ago, SunDevil56 said:

OK, thanks for the tip Ray.

By "load times" I assume you mean the time it takes for P3D to start up, versus scenery loading time..??

I think both are affected but the main extra delay is after you select an airport from the Scenario screen and Press OK.


Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v4.5, Intel i7-8086K o/c to 4.6Ghz, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, Asus Prime Z370-A mobo, 32Gb G.Skill DDR4 3000Mhz RAM, Win 10 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Share this post


Link to post

Here's Devil's Tower in Wyoming with FS Global enabled and then without. Surprised? I am.

N44. 34. 68. W104 42.98 Alt 4745ft Heading 357.

Devils%20Tower.jpg?dl=0

Devils%20Tower_NoFSG.jpg?dl=0

Surprisingly very little difference. Looks like L-M have a higher LOD for North America than Europe and the rest of the world.

Edited by Ray Proudfoot

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v4.5, Intel i7-8086K o/c to 4.6Ghz, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, Asus Prime Z370-A mobo, 32Gb G.Skill DDR4 3000Mhz RAM, Win 10 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks for the scenery load time info Ray.

Here's a shot of devils tower, same location etc as your's. This is with Toposim mesh installed......

 

K3F1X00.jpg

 

 


Scott

Share this post


Link to post

I use toposim myself and have no complaints. I am quite happy with 45 odd zip files as they're based on continent/region/county, etc. and I download what I want when I need it.
on top of that, I have read comments from the developer in forums and he seems a genuinely nice person. 

Edited by jpf

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Here's Devil's Tower in Wyoming with FS Global enabled and then without. Surprised? I am.

N44. 34. 68. W104 42.98 Alt 4745ft Heading 357.Surprisingly very little difference.

Looks like L-M have a higher LOD for North America than Europe and the rest of the world.

Hello Ray,

here is why, from the Freemesh X site.

Quote

FreeMeshX is a global terrain mesh replacement for the stock terrain mesh and features LOD10 (38-m) coverage for almost the entire world.

LOD10 is equal to the same terrain level of detail used for the USA in the stock scenery.

What is seen in P3D is what came with FSX.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, SunDevil56 said:

Here's a shot of devils tower, same location etc as your's. This is with Toposim mesh installed......

Not much different to mine or the default. Thanks.


Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v4.5, Intel i7-8086K o/c to 4.6Ghz, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, Asus Prime Z370-A mobo, 32Gb G.Skill DDR4 3000Mhz RAM, Win 10 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, nolonger said:

Hello Ray,

here is why, from the Freemesh X site.

What is seen in P3D is what came with FSX.

Thanks @nolonger. Pity they couldn’t treat the rest of the world the same.


Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v4.5, Intel i7-8086K o/c to 4.6Ghz, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, Asus Prime Z370-A mobo, 32Gb G.Skill DDR4 3000Mhz RAM, Win 10 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Not much different to mine or the default. Thanks.

Not much difference in the general shape of the tower, i'll grant you that, but those ground textures, and the textures on the rock sure look a lot different in your pics...

I know it has nothing to do with mesh, but are those stock ground textures..?? I'm guessing they must be.

I'm using ORBX FTX Global Base textures, so that's probably the difference. It's no big deal either way, I was just curious.


Scott

Share this post


Link to post
20 minutes ago, SunDevil56 said:

Not much difference in the general shape of the tower, i'll grant you that, but those ground textures, and the textures on the rock sure look a lot different in your pics...

I know it has nothing to do with mesh, but are those stock ground textures..?? I'm guessing they must be.

I'm using ORBX FTX Global Base textures, so that's probably the difference. It's no big deal either way, I was just curious.

Nope. I’m also running FTX Global. I also have Ultimate Terrain USA which may explain the difference.


Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v4.5, Intel i7-8086K o/c to 4.6Ghz, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, Asus Prime Z370-A mobo, 32Gb G.Skill DDR4 3000Mhz RAM, Win 10 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Share this post


Link to post
17 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Nope. I’m also running FTX Global. I also have Ultimate Terrain USA which may explain the difference.

Huh, ok, well I also have Vector, all the ORBX landclass, and HD trees as well, so maybe that's the difference we are seeing.


Scott

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, SunDevil56 said:

Huh, ok, well I also have Vector, all the ORBX landclass, and HD trees as well, so maybe that's the difference we are seeing.

Probably. If there were no differences then we could claim our money back.


Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v4.5, Intel i7-8086K o/c to 4.6Ghz, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, Asus Prime Z370-A mobo, 32Gb G.Skill DDR4 3000Mhz RAM, Win 10 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Share this post


Link to post

I use FS Global 2018 FTX. As FlightSim Store closes we get offered a transfer to

Simmarket. Did someone here already transfered the product to Simmarket successfully?

I am following the given procedure exactly, got already 4 certificates, but it never works.

Peter


Peter

Win7/64/16,0GB, i7-4790K@4.40GHz, Gigabyte 1080ti, P3Dv4.4

Share this post


Link to post

For those using Toposim Mesh, Flytampa Amsterdam and Orbx Global, Vector and LC, where have you placed your mesh layers in relation to other installations?

 

 


Erich BernerFSBetaTesters.png

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...