Evening,

I have just taken the plunge and purchased an oculus rift (on offer) to get into VR as I have been seeing a lot of positive comments around it recently. 

I only tend to fly X-Plane 11 - IFR and predominantly with the Zibo 737 / Flight Factor A320. I use vsync and set FPS to 30fps and have really smooth sim with no stutters, am certainly not a FPS chaser and more than happy with 30fps.

My system is;

i7-6700k OC 4.6GHz stable, Asus ROG Max VIII Ranger Z170 , 8GB RAM, Win10, GTX 980Ti, 32'' monitor 1080p - 1920-1080 at 60hz.

Following the move to VR, I understand my 980Ti may not be good enough, so I am looking to upgrade my GPU. The million-dollar question is, should I go for the RTX 2070 or RTX 2080. GTX 1080Ti is out of the question, because I can only find them for around £900 in the UK, and both the RTX's mentioned are cheaper than that plus have an element of futureproofing (for a while, anyway).

I really don’t mind paying the more for the 2080, but if the 2070 would be sufficient, then I am happy with that.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks

Adam

Edited by Adam Reed

Adam

2 minutes ago, mulgrave said:

There are GTX 1080Ti starting at around 500 pounds.

Hi, where is that? Also, I can get a 2070 for £459, and from what I read the 2070 offers a slight increase over 1080ti?

Adam

20 hours ago, Adam Reed said:

I use vsync and set FPS to 30fps and have really smooth sim with no stutters, am certainly not a FPS chaser and more than happy with 30fps.

30 FPS does not suffice in VR - my 980 does fine using VR in XP11 even with quite high settings; I don't limit the frame rate and I keep Vsync off.

If you have not tried unlimiting FPS and Vsync off, try that first; you may more happy with your 980ti than you think.