Sign in to follow this  
eslader

Leonardo Maddog ground deice - what am I missing?

I've been through every manual file, and searched "deice" and "icing," but can't find a detailed procedure for enabling ground deice beyond the cold weather operation checklist.

I've followed every item on that checklist (air cond supply off, cabin press lever manual/full fwd, flaps up/ret, parking brake set, apu air switch off, and idle thrust)

After setting that, I call ground, choose ground deicing, and they tell me to set the brake and configure the airplane for deicing, and since I've done that I would assume it should deice, but never does.

Is something missing from the checklist?

Edited by eslader

I haven't used the deicing from the ground menu yet.  Sounds like you have the procedure correct though, and I'm not sure that it looks for all those details anyway. Does the ice not disappear?  I've been using the GSX deice which works fine. 

Brian W

KPAE

There is a very good discussion and steps in the Official Maddog Support Forum.  The Leonardo Maddog team is (rightfully so) not permitted to provide any type of support anywhere except the official support forum.  Of course that does not stop other knowledgeable MD-80 simmers from answering here, but all things being equal I recommend going directly to the source.

Best wishes!

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Yeah, I'm working on doing that, but the forum requires email verification and then human approval, and thus far, no human has approved me, so I can't see the discussions. 😉

The ice isn't disappearing, but it's not appearing either. But I was in icing conditions and as the plane's new to me, I'm unsure of how, if at all, ice is graphically represented in the first place.

On 12/29/2018 at 3:18 AM, DaveCT2003 said:

There is a very good discussion and steps in the Official Maddog Support Forum.  The Leonardo Maddog team is (rightfully so) not permitted to provide any type of support anywhere except the official support forum.  Of course that does not stop other knowledgeable MD-80 simmers from answering here, but all things being equal I recommend going directly to the source.

Best wishes!

Have you got a link to that post Dave. Just had a search of the forums and can’t find anything. 

Probably me just being blind!

beta.gif

Having now gotten access, I've looked for it as well and must be similarly blind. 😉

Well, it's certainly there guys.  Let me be your seeing eye doggy.... I found the post just a second ago by searching the Maddog forums for the term of "ice".  A Google search works equally as well, but you'll have to include the term "Maddog" or "Maddogx".

https://www.flythemaddog.com/forum/index.php?/topic/9601-air-foil-anti-ice-switch/&tab=comments#comment-51763

Now, there are other conversations in the forums where this topic was covered but the subject line doens't indicate it (I can't control how topics are named or when someone hijacks topics... just search for "ice" and you'll find them).

Hope this helps.  If nothing else, the subject is also covered in the documentation.

Best wishes!

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Thanks Dave,

Lots of useful info there about the airfoil icing system.

I think what the OP was referring to, was a way to get the ground de-icing to work.  This doesn't seem to be covered anywhere.  I did ask the question in the Beta forum, but got no response.

Selecting it from the Ground Comms menu tells you to configure the aircraft, but then nothing seems to happen.

I'll do some more digging.

Neil

beta.gif

Do me a favor, and open up a new thread in our forums, and then provide a link here (for whomever wants/needs it) and we can answer any specific questions there.

I believe' the problem he's having is that his EPR is not high enough... anyway, I can provide all the info needed in a post in our forums.... but I can't get to it today... getting ready for the College National Football Championship tonight... Roll Tide!

EDIT:  We have plenty of Real World Type Rated Pilots on our team who well might answer before I can get to the post.

Edited by DaveCT2003

Dave Hodges

1 hour ago, NeilC said:

Selecting it from the Ground Comms menu tells you to configure the aircraft, but then nothing seems to happen.

Yup, that's my issue, is that ground deice doesn't seem to happen even when the plane's configured correctly.

To close out the question for anyone who might stumble on this thread while looking for the same answer, Leonardo hasn't implemented ground de-ice yet, so the nothing that happens is intentional.

1 hour ago, eslader said:

Leonardo hasn't implemented ground de-ice yet, so the nothing that happens is intentional.

What do you mean? I've visually seen icing on the ground several times, and using GSX, or the built in ground deicing always clears it. At least on P3D 4.4.   The built in ground deicing doesn't have any interaction after the configure for deicing phrase.  It does visually remove the ice though.

Brian W

KPAE

1 hour ago, BrianW said:

The built in ground deicing doesn't have any interaction after the configure for deicing phrase.

That's what I mean. There's no spraying, and no further communications. So if, like me, you were just testing to see what happened when there wasn't visual ice on your plane, you'd see nothing.