Sign in to follow this  
malct

Runway views on Stream

3 years ago, I got a developer to do me a program that allowed me to view airports from the end of a runway and at a high altitude and he was able to do the airports that i requested. It was a matter of taking his program file and placing camera CFG in  C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX (Removing the original one first and it worked great and able to zoom in or out and move the camera to any angle, up or down, left to right, it was great. 

I have recently changed over to FSX Stream and i am having issues when trying to run the program and i just cant get the program to work.

.To explain what i am doing.

1. I cut the old file from C:\Users\XXX\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX and placed that on the desktop in case i needed to use it again.
  2. i have a downloded copy of the new CFG File and place it into C:\Users\XXXX\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX
  3. When i have done that, the file name comes up Cameras.CFG,CFG  , So i delete ,CFG  from the file name.
  4. start up FSX and check the cameras at one of the named airports and nothing.
  5. Close down FSX and check, Now its showing a extra camera file, A CFG file and a file.

I would include 2 screen shots of the AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX folder to show you what i mean, but dont seen to be able to upload files on here 

I am not sure if there is anything else about at the moment.

Any help would be great

Malc 

Now fixed. Just deleted everything out of the original file and replaced it with the new text  

Edited by malct

By default, Windows hides known file extensions.

This is not helpful and can lead to some users renaming a file to conform to what they think should be there when in fact it already is.

If .cfg is set as a known file extension, ie there is a program set to open .cfg files, then it will show as just the file name, in your case Cameras

Renaming it to .cfg will result in the name actually being Cameras.cfg.cfg, the second .cfg being hidden, from you but not from Windows or FSX, which I think is what you did.

the file name comes up Cameras.CFG,CFG

FSX is then unable to see the Cameras.cfg file that it expects, because it is now named Cameras.cfg.cfg and it only knows to look for Cameras.cfg, so it creates a new one, as indeed you say did happen.

If you would prefer to avoid this in future and save yourself unnecessary trouble, visit the Windows File Explorer view settings and

untick "Hide extensions for known file types".

Edited by nolonger