Sign in to follow this  
mikethe6th

Current vs potential new system

Hello,

I’m running an i7-6700K o/c, Asus Z170, 32GB Memory, GTX 980Ti, SSDs... 

It’s running well at the majority of times but can still have issues in the obvious areas, London etc. Sliders aren’t maxed either.

If I was to update to the latest and greatest... 9900, 2080 etc, am I going to be pleased with the investment?

p3d user with the obvious addons. PMDG, FSLabs, Orbx...... etc.

Many thanks,

Mike

2 hours ago, mikethe6th said:

Hello,

I’m running an i7-6700K o/c, Asus Z170, 32GB Memory, GTX 980Ti, SSDs... 

It’s running well at the majority of times but can still have issues in the obvious areas, London etc. Sliders aren’t maxed either.

If I was to update to the latest and greatest... 9900, 2080 etc, am I going to be pleased with the investment?

p3d user with the obvious addons. PMDG, FSLabs, Orbx...... etc.

Many thanks,

Mike

If u are realistic with your expectations yes u will be pleased.  I went from a 5.0ghz 7700K to a 5.1ghz 9700K and was pleased.  Not a drastic difference but definitely noticeable.  IMO P3D v4 needs a cpu with at least 6 physical cores to run smooth.  

Matt Wilson

It also depends on what FPS you desire.

I run a smooth 20 FPS at AS EGLL pro or any Flightbeam, Fly Tampa, PMDG -8, ASP4, GSXv2, Full Orbx Global- all vector settings on, UTL 85%, ect. with most P3Dv4.4 settings very high - several at max. I only keep DR and ST off.

I know I could get the latest 9900K ect. or lower sliders and get 30+ FPS but 20 FPS suits me fine.

I thought for sure I was going to need a new system when V4 came out, but my Jetline PC is very well oiled. LM has been doing a wonderful job improving performance as well.

Edited by pracines

Thank you both. 

Considering doing the graphics card for now and upgrading the rest of the system in a year. 

I also have an i7-6700K with a GTX980 (no ti) and would like to know the improvement of a new card. Please post your results here after your GPU upgrade.

Mike

Have you seen the der8auer YouTube vid were he shows that there was no need to replace the MB for 8 or the 9 CPUs they could have worked on the Z270 they fitted some more pins to stop users doing just that, Ripped off again.

• Like 1

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

13 hours ago, rjfry said:

Have you seen the der8auer YouTube vid were he shows that there was no need to replace the MB for 8 or the 9 CPUs they could have worked on the Z270 they fitted some more pins to stop users doing just that, Ripped off again.

Yep, I saw that. If true, not good at all. Suggests tacit collusion between motherboard manufactures and Intel to force us to buy motherboards unnecessarily.

Unless der8auer missed something of course. Someone in the comments suggested it might relate to  reducing overall impedance...

"adding more pins in parallel might reduce the overall impedance between the motherboard's decoupling caps and the massively unstable load that is the CPU". Remember, intel has to care about things like EMI that are totally off your radar as an extreme overclocker."

No idea if the above is valid or not. 

Edited by martin-w