Sign in to follow this  
alex123456789

X Plane Screen-Resolution

25 minutes ago, Paraffin said:

Their video cards may not suck forever, but in recent years they've had far more driver stability and performance issues in both AAA games and flight sims than Nvidia cards.

AMD GPU's may be competitive at the entry level, but the OP is talking about spending for a 2080ti, the most expensive "gaming" card you can get right now. Just my opinion, but if you're spending that kind of money on a GPU, you should be looking at what has the best driver support and stability in your application. 

I think a lot of the performance issues in AAA titles was because of Nvidia shady business tactics! I never recommended an AMD GPU. My suggestion was to not pull the trigger so quickly. Competition usually means lower prices! And like I said before, their CPUs are great! I can run Xplane on my 4K monitor 30FPS+ with most settings at hight/max! I am keeping my fingers crossed for the Ryzen 5ghz rumor! 

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

I have always used an AMD GPU , the only Nvidia i had was the 64MB version which iirc had T&L that i had purchased for COD or was it Vietnam don't remember.

AMD Gpu issues were always the drivers and even with the RX 550 which i currently have OpenGL performance is just terrible both under windows and linux  AMD cards have always been tough except the drivers.  And they are nicely priced too. 

The RX 580 along with the Vega 56 is on par with the 1080s with the drivers update. Have watched a few youtube videos which suggested that. 

With DX11 like DCS / il2 it can shoot up to 50-60 fps on medium settings , but when i use XP11 well nothing above 19-20. I had used the open source linux drivers and the difference in performance compared to Windows and Linux Proprietary drivers was day and night. I was seeing a dip by 40% with the official drivers. 

From what i am reading on the internet the RTX series are not yet upto the mark and a of couple friends who bought it had the cards die. Only time will tell how the RTX will perform. But i am now betting on AMD Navi and Ryzen 3000 if what all the rumors say are true then we have tough competition. 

Since Ryzen AMD has pushed up the game and with the Ryzen 3000 and the Navi GPU it may even get better or maybe not. 

I think the OP can go for the 1080ti which are very good.

But all play together , CPU / GPU 

Edited by HumptyDumpty

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

Slightly off topic, but I read somewhere the other day that when using the standard 1920x1080 resolution and you have tearing of the screen while flying X-Plane, you can go into the standard nVidia control panel and change your resolution to 1920x1082 and the screen tearing will stop and there is no noticeable change in your picture.  I tried it and it worked - with no other video settings changes!  Be sure to "Apply" the change or the control panel will show it but not apply it.

John 

Edited by Old_As_Dirt

John Wingold

One other thing to keep in mind regarding GPU's is that we're about to go through a major graphics API change from Open GL to Vulkan/Metal, some time next year in X-Plane. I don't know how AMD and Nvidia cards rate for supporting that, but I would expect most of the testing to be done with Nvidia cards, both internally and with public betas, due to the higher number of those cards being used.

FYI, here's the survey from June 2018 on what video cards we're all using, from the automated, anonymous Usage Data Survey Laminar does ever year on our computers. GPU manufacturer is roughly 68% Nvidia, 18% AMD, 14% Intel:

X-Plane_11_GPU_manufacturer.png

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

In a comment on the dev blog, Ben said they hope that Vulkan will get AMD back on par with nVidia, with regard to XP performance. I think I've also read that in dx12/Vulkan games, AMD performs better than nVidia. If rumors are true, the upcoming Radeon 3000 series will offer a better price/perf ratio than nVidia (1070 perf at less than 1060 price). Same goes for the upcoming ryzen 3000 compared to Intel. It's all unknowns though at the moment. For this reason I'm waiting a few months before getting a new pc.

Edited by Murmur

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Ryzen 3000 and Navi launch i think is scheduled for the 8th of Jan. Looking forward to it , the 3000 series CPU are supposed to cost less with high end cores and a good TDP . being on 7nm lot of power is saved.  Both are supposed to be priced very well at least according to all the rumours.

Today i think the IPC/ IPS thing might slowly start fading with the application / games starting to use full multi threading.  

But if the OP can get a used 1080Ti he/she would be fine with 4k ?  CPU would also need to scale. The 2xxx RTX series just does not seem to be that great. 

I have a Vulkan ready GPU sitting idle. Would have loved to test it, but XP Vulkan porting might take the whole of 2019. 

1 hour ago, HumptyDumpty said:

Ryzen 3000 and Navi launch i think is scheduled for the 8th of Jan. Looking forward to it , the 3000 series CPU are supposed to cost less with high end cores and a good TDP . being on 7nm lot of power is saved.  Both are supposed to be priced very well at least according to all the rumours.

Today i think the IPC/ IPS thing might slowly start fading with the application / games starting to use full multi threading.  

But if the OP can get a used 1080Ti he/she would be fine with 4k ?  CPU would also need to scale. The 2xxx RTX series just does not seem to be that great. 

I have a Vulkan ready GPU sitting idle. Would have loved to test it, but XP Vulkan porting might take the whole of 2019. 

But the RTX2080ti can give you 20 to 30 % more Performance 

9 minutes ago, alex123456789 said:

But the RTX2080ti can give you 20 to 30 % more Performance 

Performance in XP 11 ? are there any reviews ?

27 minutes ago, HumptyDumpty said:

Performance in XP 11 ? are there any reviews ?

Lots of people say that the RTX2080ti gives you in benchmarks and other  games 20 to 30 % more performance . I have seen some videos  where you can see the increase. 

6 minutes ago, alex123456789 said:

Lots of people say that the RTX2080ti gives you in benchmarks and other  games 20 to 30 % more performance . I have seen some videos  where you can see the increase. 

Hmm ok. 

49 minutes ago, alex123456789 said:

For Example.  You can see the increase very good

Yes it does show better performance but for XP i can't say.  Is the 1080Ti DX12 ? 

Maybe it's fine to get the 2080.

Edited by HumptyDumpty

1 hour ago, HumptyDumpty said:

Yes it does show better performance but for XP i can't say.  Is the 1080Ti DX12 ? 

Maybe it's fine to get the 2080.

For X-Plane it is difficult to predict, because with current hardware, the CPU is the bottle neck. Yes you would have overhead for 8xAA, 4K, shadows etc, but LOD and reflections are still CPU limited. Bets are still off for Vulcan. But currently, I don't believe it is worth the extra money, it is better spent on a top of line CPU. Things can change over the course of 2019, if you have the money, go for it.

15 minutes ago, soaring_penguin said:

For X-Plane it is difficult to predict, because with current hardware, the CPU is the bottle neck. Yes you would have overhead for 8xAA, 4K, shadows etc, but LOD and reflections are still CPU limited. Bets are still off for Vulcan. But currently, I don't believe it is worth the extra money, it is better spent on a top of line CPU. Things can change over the course of 2019, if you have the money, go for it.

Agree .

A wee bit OT but is there any real resolution advantage with the 'NVidia Control Panel' feature that allows a resolution increase from native or is it merely wishful thinking?