Sign in to follow this  
Nevian

Attempt a landing multiple times with custom aircraft?

I like attempting approaches and landings multiple times - often with different types of weather. This is easily done with stock aircraft, but with custom ones like the Zibo 737 or Flight Factor A320 I'm having no luck with this. I can save the situation, but once it loads no settings on the CDU/FMC and such are saved - which just makes the whole thing pointless. Any idea why I'm experiencing this? And how it can be overcome?

Sletvik, Thomas

The short version: Yes, I know why that is. And that is just the way it is. No way to overcome it.

Cheers, Jan

Edited by Janov

Hi Thomas,

Use the map. Pause the sim, click on your aircraft, change altitude and move it back into the approach path. Don't forget to adjust speed and to retract the speed brakes.

Alex

4 hours ago, albar965 said:

Hi Thomas,

Use the map. Pause the sim, click on your aircraft, change altitude and move it back into the approach path. Don't forget to adjust speed and to retract the speed brakes.

Alex

Yes, this is one way - but you will still not get the aircraft back to the way it "was" at that point in the approach. Example: You have a few waypoints remaining on your LEGS page, like the intermediate fix, the outer marker and then the runway. You fly the approach, the FMS sequences the waypoints. After landing, you move your plane back to 10 miles final...but the FMS won´t show the waypoints it did at that point in time. Even more serious is the flight phase - especially on philosophically dubious aircraft like Airbus likes to build them. If the plane is in a non-appropriate flight phase, it will do all sorts of stupid stuff (trust me, I forget to activate the approach phase all the time and then surprise myself when I engage managed speed...).

The reason this is a problem in X-Plane is (I have a bit more time now) that custom aircraft use many datarefs and custom variables that X-Plane does not store. So when using the save/load function OR the replay OR the map to move the plane this data does not get saved and X-Plane has no way of knowing what value to set these to when reloading.

The only way around this is for the aircraft makers to code and implement a full custom system that saves manages these data points. Not an easy task

Cheers, Jan

On 12/29/2018 at 4:19 PM, Nevian said:

I like attempting approaches and landings multiple times - often with different types of weather. This is easily done with stock aircraft, but with custom ones like the Zibo 737 or Flight Factor A320 I'm having no luck with this. I can save the situation, but once it loads no settings on the CDU/FMC and such are saved - which just makes the whole thing pointless. Any idea why I'm experiencing this? And how it can be overcome?

You can save a custom scenario in the FF A320 at literally any point in flight. Just save it where you want and load it up after every landing. 

• Like 1