Sign in to follow this  
Scotteve79

A few thoughts.

Hi all,

i was just doing a long haul in the 747-8 and when in the air was thinking of a couple of little features that would be handy. 

On the ground in cold and dark in the middle of the night it would be cool to have a little simulated torch to see the overhead buttons and switches to start the start process.

Also during long cruises it would be nice if there was auto sync feature for keep the heading bug aligned during cruise whilst you are away doing life things 🙂

Just some late night thoughts.

Cheers Scott.

Edited by Scotteve79
spelling

Scott Everingham

Australian Flight Sim Enthusiast since 2000

The torch is a good one....... a small spotlight.... 👍

Raphael Chacón

158745.png

FLYSIMWARE-SM#1378797 RXP750-#1533812 RXP530-#1526291 RXP430-#1543520 

FS2C #43560 #52175 #68068 #68152 #69299 #71201 #72243 #105040 SM#1325481

PMDG #60260 #73469 #144746 #194702 #196953 #230831 #236231 #251801 #266742 #336381  #397556

I used to be able to see the flight deck at night just fine while cold and dark but not anymore.  Even while flying, I can barely see the flood lights now.  I can't be sure if it was the P3D 4.4 update or Nvidia driver update that did it as I updated both at about the same time.

*Edit*

Just launched a flight tonight.  All seems back to normal for the first time in a few weeks.  🤐

Edited by Ep3man

I also think the torch would be great - often I’ve had to fumble in the darkness for the battery switch to start the APU. I’d have thought that the real aircraft has some kind of boarding light so that you can get some light in the flight deck before turning the battery on, doesn’t it? If not, a little torch would be great. Xplane has this feature already, I believe.

I had this problem for years then along comes LINDA and now I have a rocker switch programmed LEFT to turn on battery and RIGHT to turn on dome. Problem solved! 

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK

Don't need LINDA.  Just assign the dome light in the PMDG Options Key Commands menu to a key.  I use Shift+L for dome light, Ctrl+Shift+L for Taxi and Ctrl+L for landing lights.  I don't know what the default key commands assigned to the L key are, I blow off most all default assignments and make my own using PMDG Options and FSUIPC if I want a button/switch mapped to that binding.

• Like 2

Dan Downs KCRP

It's true an expert simmer or tech person does not NEED Linda. But seeing as the battery on command is not available to my memory in FSUIPC then the list of offsets is required, easy to us maybe but not to the less tech savvy simmer. LINDA provides the easyish user infeface to the nuts and bolts of FSUIPC. Obviously OTT to get it just for lighting the cockpit preflight. 

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK

That's something that I always thought was nice about X-Plane.  It has a flashlight.

Programming a button for the dome light is a great idea.  I might do that.

P3D has that time sample feature. So if I can't find the dome light, I'll just preview daylight for a minute.

17 hours ago, Ep3man said:

Just launched a flight tonight.  All seems back to normal for the first time in a few weeks.  🤐

P3D 4.4 introduced ambient light from the moon.  You are likely seeing moon light.  Wait till next week when the moon is new, it's will be pitch black again!  🙂

• Like 1

Devin Pollock
CYOW

BetaTeamB.png

4 hours ago, sloppysmusic said:

It's true an expert simmer or tech person does not NEED Linda. But seeing as the battery on command is not available to my memory in FSUIPC then the list of offsets is required, easy to us maybe but not to the less tech savvy simmer. LINDA provides the easyish user infeface to the nuts and bolts of FSUIPC. Obviously OTT to get it just for lighting the cockpit preflight. 

Russell,

isn't the battery switch included in the PMDG CDU menu in the key assignments?

9 minutes ago, Ephedrin said:

Russell,

isn't the battery switch included in the PMDG CDU menu in the key assignments?

Marc,

no it isn't! There are lots of switches and dials on the overhead and MCP that would require too many options in the PMDG CDU key mapping section. Here is a previous similar topic with details 😄

• Like 1

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK

Flashlight could be interesting. I was actually talking with a friend on Friday that I did like how XPL has that, but I'd argue that this is a better idea pitched to the sim designer, rather than (any) plane dev.

Not sure why someone would want the heading bug thing. If you feel like walking off, then just sync it when you get back.

Kyle Rodgers

3 minutes ago, scandinavian13 said:

this is a better idea pitched to the sim designer

Agreed it would be useful to have in all planes not just one, it's just as hard starting a Cherokee as a 737 at midnight!

Ctrl-F = Flashlight (Hold shift to pan with joystick hat)

Ctrl-C = ARM Candle

M (Whilst holding Ctrl-C) = Strike match (when fire is achieved this would automatically light the candle)

Ambient conditions would determine match usefulness. High humidity would take a few strikes, high altitude the same.

Depending on ones GPU, candle would flicker and throw shadows around the cockpit (especially if window open). An external walk around would be very atmospheric and photogenic with a candle, especially after a fresh refuel.

• Upvote 1

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK

4 hours ago, netshadoe said:

P3D 4.4 introduced ambient light from the moon.  You are likely seeing moon light.  Wait till next week when the moon is new, it's will be pitch black again!  🙂

Yeah, I considered that.  Now, with little/no moonlight, it's nearly pitch black inside during flight.  While in the VC, I would like enough ambient light to at least see the other seats when I look over there.

Not complaining.  I guess enhanced realism has it's drawbacks.  😞

Yeah, this new ambient lighting is a bit troublesome, and yet, at the same time absolutely GLORIOUS!!! I had to fumble around a bit until I stumbled upon the thunderstorm light switch. And when I got in the air at cruise altitude, I couldn't see anything outside except my marker lights and strobes. Inside only my back lighting and instruments. Just how it is! It's great!!!