Sign in to follow this  
Rocky_53

Hyperthreading off works great!

For as long as I can remember, rightly or wrongly, I have been flying with HT on with an AM setting of 85. I had no reason to turn it off, because everyone says running with HT on will utilise all cores and be more efficient and that has always been my understanding. Since installing v4.4 client I have never been very happy with things, particularly in the area of smoothness. So I decided to do a complete reinstall of P3D and Win 10, but anyone who has upwards of 150+ addons knows the kind of headaches that I could be faced with going down this path. Prior to doing so,  I thought  I'd take one more close look at things as I had an inkling that AF=85 maybe the culprit, so I ended up doing some further research and after using the AF calculator on the Gatwick page, I discovered that the AM setting should be 84 (?) Anyway, I tried 84 which made things worse, then I tried other possible settings... no setting gave me an acceptable flying experience. FPS were jumping all over the place and smoothness just wasn't there. I decided to turn HT off in the BIOS and run with no AM setting at all....!!! Wow, what a difference... a massive improvement in smoothness, more stable frames, quicker loading textures and a slight increase in FPS. Could this be for real I thought, and yes after further testing, it is for real.

Now, I have to admit as to being a little naive with things like process lasso, playing around with AM settings and moving different workloads to different threads etc etc. I'm just an average simmer who wants to fly. I guess this post is just because I'd like to hear some feedback regarding my experience. BTW, I had been running my i7 6700 with an OC of 4.5 for some time, but after a few BSODs decided to return it to clock speed. I am now wondering if after turning off HT whether I could return the overclock and see some more stability. I do notice that the CPU is running at about 75% now, as opposed to previously where it would be about 50%. Cheers fellas.

Edited by Rockliffe
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Hi, i am in the boat with HT off and have being with that setting as long as I can remember. I have the I7-4770K@4,6 and it gets to hot running HT ON which strangly seems yours is the other way around?. 

I have good results with both but also choose off mainly because of heat. 

with 4.4 and latest the GTX1080TI the temps has rised a bit. 

I actually saw some texture loading advances with HT ON (4.3)but i just need the smooth flights and I am very happy with FFTF from FSPS. 

Lately i might placebo myself but i think the texture are more crisp at 60 cm than at 1m when i arrive after a 5hour flight. (No blur) 

Thats another story. 

Thanks Michael Moe 

Edited by Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

37 minutes ago, Michael Moe said:

Hi, i am in the boat with HT off and have being with that setting as long as I can remember. I have the I7-4770K@4,6 and it gets to hot running HT off which strangly seems yours is the other way around?. 

I have good results with both but also choose off mainly because of heat. 

with 4.4 and latest the GTX1080TI the temps has rised a bit. 

I actually saw some texture loading advances with HT ON (4.3)but i just need the smooth flights and I am very happy with FFTF from FSPS. 

Lately i might placebo myself but i think the texture are more crisp at 60 cm than at 1m when i arrive after a 5hour flight. (No blur) 

Thats another story. 

Thanks Michael Moe 

Interesting about the temps Michael. Perhaps it's something to do with in-sim settings?

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke

I also switched HT off on my temporary PC (till i purchase my 9900K machine).  

Actually it is a i7 4660 with 3,8 Ghz , 32 GB DDR3 and a 1070 GTX and a SSD with 250 GB. 

I don`t know what changed maybee it`s 4.4 but i can achieve steady 23 FPS with internal limiter, as long as i´m not flying in and out of EGLL (10-12 FPS). Nearly no blurries, autogen is there everything ok. 

And that with a 4 year old Computer without OC ?! 

My old Machine was a 7900X@5 Ghz with 32 GB DDR4, 1080 TI and a m2 ssd.   I don`t know what was wrong with that one but i always had blurries and frames jumping arround.  

I know steve said disabling HT is waste of recources but i have the same effect : HT On = worse performance even with AM, HT off everything nice.

• Like 1

sfo_a320.png

C. W. ,Ryzen 9 5950X @H2O , 32 GB RAM DDR4 3600 Mhz CL15 , Corsair MP600 Pro Watercooled 2 TB for P3D, Samsung SSD980 1 TB for Addons and Crucial MMX500,  Red Devil Ultimate 6900 XT

I'm with you Howard. With my 8700K I had HT on and messed around forever trying to get smooth. So, finally turned HT off and that got me a much better experience, panning load time significantly reduced and even got rid of most of the micro-stutters as well.

Still not totally happy with some heavy area load times though.The final piece yesterday was going unlimited with vsync and triple buffering on. I've read everyone's comments on multiple threads about limiting frames but for my system this has been the ticket.

Edited by gsand

Gerald

EAA #: 1317747

i7 8700K 6-Core 3.7GHz (4.5GHz); ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-I Gaming ; RTX 2070 Super Turbo 8GB; 32GB G.Skill TridentZ 3000MHz; 250GB Samsung 960 Evo PCIe NVMe M.2; 2x 500GB Samsung 850 Evo Series SSD; 1TB WD Black HDD; Win10 Pro 64; P3D 4.5

16 minutes ago, gsand said:

I'm with you Howard. With my 8700K I had HT on and messed around forever trying to get smooth. So, finally turned HT off and that got me a much better experience, panning load time significantly reduced and even got rid of most of the micro-stutters as well. The final piece yesterday was going unlimited with vsync and triple buffering on. I've read everyone's comments on multiple threads about limiting frames but for my system this has been the ticket.

Nice to hear that I'm not the only one Gerald! Interesting, as I have a hunch it might be related to v4.4 (?)

Edited by Rockliffe

Howard

1 hour ago, Rockliffe said:

Interesting about the temps Michael. Perhaps it's something to do with in-sim settings?

Whoops. It should have HT ON equal more HEAT. Sorry. 

Thanks Michael Moe 

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

33 minutes ago, Michael Moe said:

Whoops. It should have HT ON equal more HEAT. Sorry. 

Thanks Michael Moe 

I've just returned my Asus OC to 4.5 and I see CPU usage to 75-80% GPU around 35-40% with temps very stable no higher than 65c, FPS up about 10%. The sim is the smoothest I have experienced with no blurries! I am just about to go on my first flight in the NGX  from ENBR across to ESSA so I will see how things pan out 😊

Howard

Yep, brand new 9900k with 5.0@1.300 voltage, HT =off. Stable 60C with spikes not higher than 74C. With HT=ON everything is 10 degrees hotter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rockliffe said:

I have a hunch it might be related to v4.4 (?)

I have noticed similiar results to u as well.  HT in 4.3 improved texture loading but in 4.4 works better without.

• Like 1

Matt Wilson

I have tried both, two times, over the course of months, just to be positive, and HT OFF is where I stay...

..unless by chance P3D 5 and/or beyond has some way, that is specifically documented by Lockheed Martin, of efficiently utilizing HT. This is not likely at all. 

I think that HT's age (from 2002) is catching up to,... or rather has caught up to it.🙂

• Like 1

Same story here with an 8700K. Late last winter I built this setup, started with HT on and had high temps and stuttery performance. Shutting it off, VSYNCH/TB on and unlimited has been the best combination with P3D4.3 and 4.4.

Nice to hear about your good results Howard! 

Cheers,

Greg

• Upvote 1

i7-9700K, MSI Z370, PNY 4070 Super, GTX 750Ti, 32GB GSkill, 43" curved Samsung, 32" BenQ, 11" LED, RealSImGear GTN750, Win10,

P3DV5.4/P3DV6 and MSFS, several GoFlight modules, Saitek radio, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Virtual Fly TQ6.

3 minutes ago, Chocorua said:

Same story here with an 8700K. Late last winter I built this setup, started with HT on and had high temps and stuttery performance. Shutting it off, VSYNCH/TB on and unlimited has been the best combination with P3D4.3 and 4.4.

Nice to hear about your good results Howard! 

Cheers,

Greg

Thanks Greg, yes, I am an extremely happy simmer. 😊

Howard

12 minutes ago, Chocorua said:

+1 here as well.  "HT Off" lowers my average temps between 5-9C.

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

I guess I am the odd man out here, I get better and smoother performance with HT on and AM in the config.

i7 8700K with a Noctua DH-15 cooler, and not overclocked.

High frame rates, even in very demanding scenery environments, stutter free, and smooth as silk.

CPU doesn't get very hot either, temps never get above 55C or so, even during extended flying sessions. I monitor this in real time while I'm flying with AIDA 64, which is very accurate, but CPUID HW Monitor will work fine as well.

I did try out HT "off" about a year or so ago, it caused an unrecoverable BSOD system crash which necessitated a complete OS re-installation. I'm not going to chance that again with this setup, but when the time comes for a new MOBO and CPU I may give it another shot.