Sign in to follow this  
Rocky_53

Hyperthreading off works great!

25 minutes ago, dmiannay said:

+1 here as well.  "HT Off" lowers my average temps between 5-9C.

Which is only logical, since you're turning off half of the processor.

i7-7700K @ 4.9 GHz, 32GB DDR4, GTX1080, 2 x Samsung 1TB NVMe, 1 x 3TB HDD, Windows 10 Prof

2 minutes ago, willy647 said:

Which is only logical, since you're turning off half of the processor.

And yet I have the same FPS regardless at 5.0GHz.  If you give me a choice of stable, high FPS with high temperatures vs. stable, high FPS with lower temperatures, I'll take the lower temps... every time.  There is no downside for me in P3D with HT off, just upside.

• Like 2

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

Hello! Can someone tell me if I even have the option to turn of HT? I've looked in the BIOS and don't see anything related to HT on or off. But it's an 8 core Ryzen 7 1800X.

Thanks,

Mike 

TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI)MOTHERBOARD 
AMD Ryzen 5 5900X CPU-LIQUID COOLED
AMD RADEON RX 6900 XT
32GB RAM G-SKILL TRIDENT Z
SAMSUNG SSD 980 PRO 2TB

9 minutes ago, simaddict said:

Hello! Can someone tell me if I even have the option to turn of HT? I've looked in the BIOS and don't see anything related to HT on or off. But it's an 8 core Ryzen 7 1800X.

AMD don't support Intel's Hyperhreading, but they do use something called “Simultaneous Multi-Threading”.  See if you have a BIOS setting for that.

Edited by dmiannay

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

Thanks, Doug. That's interesting, I'll check the BIOS.

Thanks,

Mike

TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI)MOTHERBOARD 
AMD Ryzen 5 5900X CPU-LIQUID COOLED
AMD RADEON RX 6900 XT
32GB RAM G-SKILL TRIDENT Z
SAMSUNG SSD 980 PRO 2TB

6 hours ago, Rockliffe said:

For as long as I can remember, rightly or wrongly, I have been flying with HT on with an AM setting of 85. I had no reason to turn it off, because everyone says running with HT on will utilise all cores and be more efficient and that has always been my understanding. 

Wrongly, had you asked me.

No matter what anyone would have told me about settings, tweakings, over clockings etc. my own eyes and ears would always be my ultimate guides.

Rockliffe may well be the only one who says, that running with HT on would utilise all cores and be more efficient, as reasoning for using HT.

Intel says HTT is a feature, that allows more work to be done by the processor during each clock cycle.

SteveW (the code legend)) ) says, that using proper and unique AM with P3D for your system is the key for the most efficient utilisation of your specific CPU potential and offers you scientific tools and methods for your private search in this non-linear quest.

I says, that it's your call to thoroughly search and find the most efficient settings for your specific system using all the powerful design features (talk about HT) of your hardware. This may become a very boring and time consuming task however you are unlikely to draw any sensible or credible conclusions regarding usage of HT with your P3D version by just flipping HT on/off several times and trying a couple of AMs.

For what it matters in my case initial engagement of HT had always been counterproductive for my system performance in my simulators, but has always eventually proved to become benefitial after a lot of shuffling and picking. Perhaps I took Intel's "HTT... allows more work to be done by the processor during each clock cycle" too seriously, but so far my practical experience has proved the opposite. In a hard way though.

Edited by Dirk98
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Rockliffe said:

For as long as I can remember, rightly or wrongly, I have been flying with HT on with an AM setting of 85. I had no reason to turn it off, because everyone says running with HT on will utilise all cores and be more efficient and that has always been my understanding. Since installing v4.4 client I have never been very happy with things, particularly in the area of smoothness. So I decided to do a complete reinstall of P3D and Win 10, but anyone who has upwards of 150+ addons knows the kind of headaches that I could be faced with going down this path. Prior to doing so,  I thought  I'd take one more close look at things as I had an inkling that AF=85 maybe the culprit, so I ended up doing some further research and after using the AF calculator on the Gatwick page, I discovered that the AM setting should be 84 (?) Anyway, I tried 84 which made things worse, then I tried other possible settings... no setting gave me an acceptable flying experience. FPS were jumping all over the place and smoothness just wasn't there. I decided to turn HT off in the BIOS and run with no AM setting at all....!!! Wow, what a difference... a massive improvement in smoothness, more stable frames, quicker loading textures and a slight increase in FPS. Could this be for real I thought, and yes after further testing, it is for real.

Now, I have to admit as to being a little naive with things like process lasso, playing around with AM settings and moving different workloads to different threads etc etc. I'm just an average simmer who wants to fly. I guess this post is just because I'd like to hear some feedback regarding my experience. BTW, I had been running my i7 6700 with an OC of 4.5 for some time, but after a few BSODs decided to return it to clock speed. I am now wondering if after turning off HT whether I could return the overclock and see some more stability. I do notice that the CPU is running at about 75% now, as opposed to previously where it would be about 50%. Cheers fellas.

Why don't you have the HT on without overclocking.

Mo45

17 minutes ago, Dirk98 said:

SteveW (the code legend)) ) says, that using proper and unique AM with P3D for your system is the key for the most efficient utilisation of your specific CPU potential and offers you scientific tools and methods for your private search in this non-linear quest.

Well, I have to concur with Steve W, at least for my system and my experience with P3D.

It took me a long time to find an AM that gave me the best overall performance, and believe me, I tried many different "magic numbers" posted at various simming forums across the net.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Jon123 said:

Why don't you have the HT on without overclocking.

Hi Mo, I have  been using it without any OC. It's only today I decided to try out an OC.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

I feel like something changed since P3D 4.3.  Ran into the same issue as you when 4.3 came out and got rid of HT, but still use process lasso.  I also run a 6700k @4.6G with a 1080ti. 

• Like 1

Dylan Charles

"The aircraft G-limits are only there in case there is another flight by that particular airplane. If subsequent flights do not appear likely, there are no G-limits."

Im reliably told by a code legend that the second thread now does more work in 4.4, so I have  my 8700K on an AM of 00 01 11 11 01 01 to make sure it isnt impeded by scenery loading.

• Like 1

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

9 hours ago, Rockliffe said:

I decided to turn HT off in the BIOS and run with no AM setting at all....!!! Wow, what a difference... a massive improvement in smoothness, more stable frames, quicker loading textures and a slight increase in FPS. Could this be for real I thought, and yes after further testing, it is for real.

Been there, done that years ago - been a happy camper ever since. Sometimes things that work fine in test suites just don't cut it in real application.

Vic

• Like 1

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I’m sure my experiments with HT would be dismissed as insufficient by some of the very particular gurus in this area, but I’d summarize my results as:

1) significantly fewer stutters with HT off

2) very slightly slower terrain/autogen loading with HT off (no free lunch after all)

3) much lower temps with HT off (up to 15 degrees C different at the same overclock) allowing for a higher overclock without HT

Bottom line, on my system with HT off there’s a slight (but undoubtedly real) disadvantage to texture/autogen loading but a massive advantage in smoothness and especially temps. What that temp difference means in real terms for me is the difference between running 4.6 GHz with temps spiking to 85 (eg probably safe but doesn’t feel great) and running at 4.7 GHz with temps never breaking 77. I’m never going back to HT on!

James

7 minutes ago, hqmurphy said:

A naive question - where does one turn off HT? NVIDIA control panel?

In your motherboard's BIOS.  It is typically entered during he early boot process by hitting either F2 or the DEL key.

Edited by dmiannay
  • Like 1

Doug Miannay