Sign in to follow this  
Rocky_53

Hyperthreading off works great!

🤔 

i have a i7 4790k 

ht on no affinity mask 

p3d v.4.4 off the core 1 using process lasso.

but my addons such as asp4 asca etc etc running on all cores 

shouldn’t I kick them off the core 1 as with P3d?

or keep all cores  checked ?

thanks

mike

1 hour ago, newtie said:

Even in 4.4 I'm running HT 11,11,10,10 unlimited with external lock via Rivatuner @ 30fps

While eventually coming to this solution above, I noticed something very interesting. Someone way back in this thread (or a different one) said that by unchecking/checking affinity mask frame rates went up. I'm currently flying the excellent Falcon 50. I started at KLAX with an external framerate of ~20fps and an internal VC FR of ~18-19fps. Checked and unchecked the first core and external went to 28 and internal went to 26.

Hmmmm..this might be worth looking at.. 😯

Fired up Process Explorer and took a look at what was happening at the CPU level. Checking/unchecking core 1 essentially shifted its work to the other cores at varying levels. However, with the mask I was using at that time, 01110101 after the checking/unchecking process, frame rates were higher but the smoothness suffered with stutters. While I was in PE, I noticed that the red portion of the graph ("Red in the CPU usage graph indicates CPU usage in kernel-mode whereas green is the sum of kernel-mode and user-mode execution.") was represented at ~40% with the other at half or less whether checked or unchecked. So I decided to try something.

I went to 11111010 to move P3D off that very first 40% core. Interestingly, even though masked, P3D still uses that primary core at the kernel level at about the same level but with no green. Results for me mimic the check/uncheck frame rate increase but with exceptional smoothness. Haven't touched this setting for about a week now with no problems at all. I'm running a 4770 @ 4.4 w/1080i. AS on the last two cores.

There's something for ya to chaw on in the New Year!

Cheers,

Mark

Yes you got me chawing in the new year thanks.

I used to do that trick with kicking the threads around while P3D is running. Problem is it is unpredictable and dodgy.

But in your second experiment you seem to show that P3D user mode can run on logical core 1 and P3D kernel mode on logical core 0 with good results.

The only debate then is whether the affinity is best at xxxx0101 or xxxx1010 on the first two physical cores.

xxxxxx01 means that user mode and kernel mode are working on the same logical core.

xxxxxx10 means that user mode and kernel modes are working on different logical cores but on the same physical core.

Which is best? I was a 0101 kinda guy but might shift to become a 1010 kinda guy.

It is possible that in HT-on mode, since both logical cores are running on the same physical core, it can help with performance if user mode and kernel mode are separated into different logical cores on the same physical core.

For HT off, it doesn't matter because kernel mode and user mode will always run on the same physical core, but since the physical core is not divided up into logical cores, performance is not affected.

If this reasoning is true, then it is possible that {xxxx1010} in HT-on is a close equivalent to {xx11} in HT-off as much as is possible.

Happy new year.

1010 aka AM=250 works quite nicely.. just tried it.. :cool:

Bert

1 hour ago, mikeymike said:

🤔

i have a i7 4790k 

ht on no affinity mask 

p3d v.4.4 off the core 1 using process lasso.

but my addons such as asp4 asca etc etc running on all cores 

shouldn’t I kick them off the core 1 as with P3d?

or keep all cores  checked ?

I did the opposite for my 4770k: everything on core 0-1 (I am using HT btw, works better for my old CPU), and P3D as the sole process using cores 2-7. 

Formally screen name was Alex_YSSY until the forum software ate my account  ^_^

Is there a way you can dynamically switch HT on and off in windows? So when I run other apps I can HT on and P3D off?

Also can you leave HT on but AM it to just physical cores? I.e AM a HT enabled CPU to a non HT CPU spoofed

11 hours ago, SunDevil56 said:

Thanks glider... 😎

Yes, MOBO = motherboard.

BIOS = Basic Input/Output System, just acronyms to simplify things as glider noted.

When your system starts to boot up you hit a key (usually "delete" but it might be "mobo" specific) to enter the BIOS screen... That's where you'll be able to make changes like turning HT on or off..

Ron, what's the make and model of your MOtherBOard..??

It says on the front of my computer 'Antec' and I have an Acer monitor. But I can't see BIOS anywhere. :sad:

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

14 minutes ago, Ron Attwood said:

It says on the front of my computer 'Antec' and I have an Acer monitor. But I can't see BIOS anywhere. :sad:

What CPU has it got..?? 

How old is this PC..?? What's the model number..?? it's likely on the back or side of the case.

Is this an off the shelf PC or on that was custom built..??

8 hours ago, alepro21 said:

I did the opposite for my 4770k: everything on core 0-1 (I am using HT btw, works better for my old CPU), and P3D as the sole process using cores 2-7. 

What about your addons?

asp4 ?if you have ?

would it be on 0 and 1? 

Thanks 

6 hours ago, 9GTurn said:

Is there a way you can dynamically switch HT on and off in windows? So when I run other apps I can HT on and P3D off?

Also can you leave HT on but AM it to just physical cores? I.e AM a HT enabled CPU to a non HT CPU spoofed

You can spoof HT off for P3D by setting an affinity mask that is

01 01 01 01

For a quad core CPU

Add the following to your Prepar3d.cfg file:

[JOBSCHEDULER]
AffinityMask=85

However, based on the above you should try

11 11 10 10

instead :wink:

[JOBSCHEDULER]
AffinityMask=250

That is spoofing the first two cores only and leaving the scenery loading cores with HT on.

A bit like having your cake and eating it too :smile:

For a six core CPU (8700K)

you would need to set

01 01 01 01 01 01

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

23 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

For a six core CPU (8700K)

you would need to set

01 01 01 01 01 01

Bert, what would the AM entry in the P3D cfg file for that be..??

5 hours ago, SunDevil56 said:

What CPU has it got..?? 

How old is this PC..?? What's the model number..?? it's likely on the back or side of the case.

Is this an off the shelf PC or on that was custom built..??

I built it myself. This is the 5th one.

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

1 minute ago, Ron Attwood said:

I built it myself. This is the 5th one.

If you could give me the make and model number of the MOBO I might be able to help you get in to the BIOS screen...

This really shouldn't be that hard Ron... If you built it, don't you have the users guide that came with the MOBO...??

Honestly, i'm not trying be hard on you, I've personally built my last 8 or 10 PC's from the ground up, and I always keep the users manual from the current one as a reference if needed.

If worse comes to worse, you can open up the case and read the MOBO make and model number from the board.... Don't know what else to tell you...