Sign in to follow this  
Rocky_53

Hyperthreading off works great!

21 hours ago, lownslo said:

Do you use add-ons running beside the sim?  If so, which ones?

Greg

Add-ons, as4,gex2,radar contact 

thank you,Jim

Asus Prime Z270-P| I7700k@4.6| 16gDDR4 3000 VengLpx|

Corsair H115aio Cooler| Evga GeForce 1080gpu|Corsair Rm750

21 hours ago, bean_sprout said:

Don't use an AM - let the OS and P3D duke it out.

Cheers
bs

You don't have to use an AM for P3D, but it makes sense to assign specific cores for your running addons or other background processes.

Try to get the load away from core 0, which is your main rendering thread. Any interference on this core may induce stutters and long frames.

Marc Weber

In no way am I trying to [word not allowed] on your "no-HT" complacent parade here (lol) or persuade somebody in something, but just sharing some further food for thought on the subject for those who might be curious to learn more about HT:    

Thanks.

Edited by Dirk98

On 12/30/2018 at 4:17 AM, Rockliffe said:

For as long as I can remember, rightly or wrongly, I have been flying with HT on with an AM setting of 85. I had no reason to turn it off, because everyone says running with HT on will utilise all cores and be more efficient and that has always been my understanding. Since installing v4.4 client I have never been very happy with things, particularly in the area of smoothness. So I decided to do a complete reinstall of P3D and Win 10, but anyone who has upwards of 150+ addons knows the kind of headaches that I could be faced with going down this path. Prior to doing so,  I thought  I'd take one more close look at things as I had an inkling that AF=85 maybe the culprit, so I ended up doing some further research and after using the AF calculator on the Gatwick page, I discovered that the AM setting should be 84 (?) Anyway, I tried 84 which made things worse, then I tried other possible settings... no setting gave me an acceptable flying experience. FPS were jumping all over the place and smoothness just wasn't there. I decided to turn HT off in the BIOS and run with no AM setting at all....!!! Wow, what a difference... a massive improvement in smoothness, more stable frames, quicker loading textures and a slight increase in FPS. Could this be for real I thought, and yes after further testing, it is for real.

Now, I have to admit as to being a little naive with things like process lasso, playing around with AM settings and moving different workloads to different threads etc etc. I'm just an average simmer who wants to fly. I guess this post is just because I'd like to hear some feedback regarding my experience. BTW, I had been running my i7 6700 with an OC of 4.5 for some time, but after a few BSODs decided to return it to clock speed. I am now wondering if after turning off HT whether I could return the overclock and see some more stability. I do notice that the CPU is running at about 75% now, as opposed to previously where it would be about 50%. Cheers fellas.

Thank you Rockliffe for posting this finding. I have had noticeable and at times frustrating fps stutters and fluctuations in Prepar3D v4 for awhile now and could never figure out why with my system specs (i7-7700k and GTX 1080Ti). This was with HT turned on and no AM applied. I read your post and decided to try HT off to see if it made any difference for me. Turning off HT has made my simming experience much smoother and I can more easily maintain 30 fps in locations where I could not before. Thank you again. 🙂

2 hours ago, blackbird7 said:

Thank you Rockliffe for posting this finding. I have had noticeable and at times frustrating fps stutters and fluctuations in Prepar3D v4 for awhile now and could never figure out why with my system specs (i7-7700k and GTX 1080Ti). This was with HT turned on and no AM applied. I read your post and decided to try HT off to see if it made any difference for me. Turning off HT has made my simming experience much smoother and I can more easily maintain 30 fps in locations where I could not before. Thank you again. 🙂

Pleased it has helped 😊

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Can someone give me a tl;dr of HT off or on for p3d v4? I have a coffee lake non-k cpu with gtx 1080. With payware addons I'm getting 20-40fps on high/very high settings.

Wanted to give you another +1 Howard.

I was skeptical, but disabling hyperthreading definitely helped with the "smoothness" of frames in v4.4. I no longer have the "hurry-up and catch-up" frame delay that seemed to happen in v4 before.

• Upvote 1

Philip Manhart  :American Flag:

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato

On 1/21/2019 at 3:27 AM, pmanhart said:

Wanted to give you another +1 Howard.

I was skeptical, but disabling hyperthreading definitely helped with the "smoothness" of frames in v4.4. I no longer have the "hurry-up and catch-up" frame delay that seemed to happen in v4 before.

Great Phil... it does seem that the whole HT option could well change from one version of P3D to another (?) I must admit at being somewhat confused (nicely though) I had tested numerous HT and AM settings with other versions and found HT off gave me some stuttering or issues with terrain blurring. I came across this purely by chance. At first I thought it was my imagination, but after doing numerous changes back and fort, I really do see a very real benefit of flying with HT off. 😃

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke

Unless you use your PC for P3D only, turning off HT is a bad idea. It makes a HUGE performance difference on some applications, especially rendering, video, music production etc.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Rockliffe said:

Great Phil... it does seem that the whole HT option could well change from one version of P3D to another (?) I must admit at being somewhat confused (nicely though) I had tested numerous HT and AM settings with other versions and found HT off gave me some stuttering or issues with terrain blurring. I came across this purely by chance. At first I thought it was my imagination, but after doing numerous changes back and fort, I really do see a very real benefit of flying with HT off. 😃

Aye, it all seems like a crapshoot one version to the next.

• Like 1

Philip Manhart  :American Flag:

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato

7 hours ago, GHarrall said:

Unless you use your PC for P3D only, turning off HT is a bad idea. It makes a HUGE performance difference on some applications, especially rendering, video, music production etc.

Indeed Glenn, I use the PC for P3D only 😊

Howard

HT is useful for encoding and crypto-mining perhaps.  It's a no-go for P3d IMO.

Regards
bs

• Like 1

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

35 minutes ago, bean_sprout said:

HT is useful for encoding and crypto-mining perhaps.  It's a no-go for P3d IMO.

Regards
bs

As stated earlier, that depends on how many CPU cores you have..

For a quad core CPU, HT is actually quite useful when combined with an affinity mask.

For a hex core or more... you are likely right.  :cool:

• Upvote 3

Bert