Sign in to follow this  
ideoplastic

Short freezes & FSUIPC autosave

I started experiencing short 5 to 10 sec freezes since full install of P3Dv4.4 and then noticed that the freezes ocurred at 5 minute intervals that coincided with the Autosave setting of 300 seconds. I appreciate that disabling autosave is recommended when experiencing such events, but cannot understand why it has never been a problem for me until version 4.4. Is this related to some of the changes to the sim in this new version, or perhaps is something to do with FSUIPC. Are many other users experiencing this with autosave? Be a shame to disable it as it has proved a life saver during unexpected crashes. Feedback appreciated.

It has been a problem also for FSX, P3D V1, V2, V3 and V4.x.

Simply disable it.

System: i7-10700K, 32GB RAM, RTX2070S 8GB, 1TB SSD, 2 TB HDD, Win10 64bit Home

Actually, many state, including myself, that FSUIPC has nothing to do with the pauses. They are caused by other factors such as default AI, ORBX region loading and so on.

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090

2 hours ago, Wothan said:

It has been a problem also for FSX, P3D V1, V2, V3 and V4.x.

Simply disable it.

What a sweeping statement! I’ve had all those versions and auto save has not been a problem for the aircraft I fly. Maybe some are sensitive to auto save so the OP should list the aircraft he has a problem with.

I fly FS Labs Concorde, Carenado PC-12 and Xtreme Prototypes Lear 25 and none have the autosave problem. Try a default aircraft and see how that responds.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

What anti-virus are you using? I have Windows Defender for Windows 10 and had the same autosave issues at first - I excluded the ACARS and P3D processes from the anti-virus scanner and everything has been smooth since.

Cheers!

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

2 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

What a sweeping statement! I’ve had all those versions and auto save has not been a problem for the aircraft I fly. Maybe some are sensitive to auto save so the OP should list the aircraft he has a problem with.

I fly FS Labs Concorde, Carenado PC-12 and Xtreme Prototypes Lear 25 and none have the autosave problem. Try a default aircraft and see how that responds.

I don´t know the computer system You run, or the ones You had before, but I have been around flightsims for many years - also as a developer, and the freezes from FSUIPC Autosave have been reported by many users with all kind of FS versions and addons.

So - maybe Your one of the lucky ones, who never have seen this, but depending on Your system, whenever FSUIPC Autosave saves something to disk, it will take resources away from running the sim, and might cause a stutter or even freeze for a moment.

Antivirus can exaggerate this, as well as the type and speed of Your disk, and the utilisation of Your CPU.

System: i7-10700K, 32GB RAM, RTX2070S 8GB, 1TB SSD, 2 TB HDD, Win10 64bit Home

17 minutes ago, Wothan said:

I don´t know the computer system You run, or the ones You had before, but I have been around flightsims for many years - also as a developer, and the freezes from FSUIPC Autosave have been reported by many users with all kind of FS versions and addons.

So - maybe Your one of the lucky ones, who never have seen this, but depending on Your system, whenever FSUIPC Autosave saves something to disk, it will take resources away from running the sim, and might cause a stutter or even freeze for a moment.

Antivirus can exaggerate this, as well as the type and speed of Your disk, and the utilisation of Your CPU.

My computer system is shown in my signature. I have been using flight sim products since 1993. Hopefully that’s long enough for me to have a valid opinion.

This place is not where problems with FSUIPC should be reported. Pete Dowson has a dedicated forum. Have you posted your problems there?

People with the problem could start by disabling anti-virus. If that cures it then FSUIPC is not the problem. If it doesn’t then post on Pete’s forum with full system and flight sim details and a FSUIPC5.log.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Thanks for the feedback, just to expand on some questions above. I have no antivirus and Windows Defender Firewall is disabled on the P3D PC. Never had any issues with autosave through all the FSX & P3D versions. I fly online and initially I thought it could be the AI when materialising in the scenario, but after removing AI still had the pauses.Only when I did a test with the PMDG 747 on a default airport scenery and it kept ocurring after 5 minutes that I disabled autosave and problem disappeared even while ilater flying in a busy online environment with Orbx, photoscenery and payware airports, Orbx, etc.

Yes there is a FSUIPC forum where support can be requested, but this post is just to get an idea if this is being experienced in v4.4 by many, or not, as the case may be, I've checked the forum and Pete replied to a post from user with similar issue, but after a brief search didn't find many users posting on this issue. See last entry in the post. https://forum.simflight.com/topic/85954-fauipc-autosave-in-pd3v4-stuttering/?tab=comments#comment-520774

It could also be that P3D reacts badly when autosave goes into action. - Thinking of setting autosave at much longer intervals to avoid such regular pauses that can come in the least wanted situation. Hopefully this will be solved or disappear on next P3D version.

A Prosperous and Happy new year to you all

Very easy for you to check. You state that the pauses occur at 300 seconds which coincides with autosave. Change autosave to 120 seconds and see what happens.

Unfortunately, over the years, autosave has gotten a bad rap. I'm sure on some systems it can cause an issue but I've seen many reports where, after testing, it has been determined that as was not the cause.

I never had an issue with it personally.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

@ideoplastic, you didn’t mention if you tested with a default aircraft. If it is a bug introduced in v4.4 L-M won’t look at it unless it can be reproduced with a default aircraft.

And just to reiterate, all AutoSave is doing is calling the default save function in P3D. If you saved the flight manually you’d see the same thing.

Maybe post on the PMDG forum if the problem lies solely with their aircraft.

Edited by Ray Proudfoot

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I'd also check ASP4. I've noticed that with 4.4 I get a nasty stutter when weather loads. 5, 10 and 15 minutes are the common weather update intervals and like FSUIPC5 autosave, ASP4 is easy to check.

FYI, After installation of - everything, due to some issues at first I thought usual suspect would be FSUIPC but it turned out to be my airline ACARS since I had turned on 5 minutes auto save after re-installation. So check if you have something like this....ASP4 and 3D REX are fine, at least on my PC....

Virtual Air Canada - Alex Luzajic

16 hours ago, vgbaron said:

snip

Unfortunately, over the years, autosave has gotten a bad rap. I'm sure on some systems it can cause an issue but I've seen many reports where, after testing, it has been determined that as was not the cause.

I never had an issue with it personally.

Vic

Neither have I until now, used it on all flights with payware aircraft, PMDG, Qualitywings etc. After reading Pete's response on his forum (my link above) I don't think autosave has something to do with it, or PMDG and others, for autosave worked flawlessly with them all before. These pauses may have something to do with graphics settings and will check them out tomorrow after the New Year festivities.

On 12/30/2018 at 4:44 PM, Wothan said:

and the freezes from FSUIPC Autosave have been reported by many users with all kind of FS versions and addons.

I can verify this!  See CTD Forum.  They disable autosave and no more pauses/freezes.  I have also had this with an incompatible version of FSUIPC installed.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Jim thank you for the post. For me this seems to me the only cure at present.

regards