Sign in to follow this  
wrap23

What about i9-9900X family?

I know this is a long post but I could sure use the advise of the experts out there!

Everyone is talking about the 9900k but very little about the 9900x, 9920x, 9940x. I’m needing to upgrade my 5820k build and don’t know which way to go, 9900K or X. I mostly fly the PMDG 777 in P3Dv4.4. I’m moving to a two monitor setup with a 55” Samsung 4K for outside view and a Dell U3818DW to display only the virtual cockpit. That’s a lot of pixels so I’ll also install a second 1080ti SC2. From what I can understand SLI can help push pixels and improve detail even if not improving frame rate. (An RTX 2080ti is not out of the question down the road)

Also, from my Avsim readings, it sounds like PMDG aircraft are processor intensive. When running cpu-z while flying the 777, all six cores spike frequently giving me the impression if I had more cores they would get used. My X99 system also has 64 gigs of memory (8gbX8-2400 Corsair Dominator.) It was fast memory when I built my system but not so much anymore. It does represent quite an investment however. I’d lose half of it with the Z390 build. Also PCIe lanes. Since Rob A. is building his “beast” on a Z390 board with NVLink, it sounds like 2x8 sli (nvlink) doesn’t steal performance compared to 2x16 sli(?)

I know there are many of you out there with years of experience and technical knowledge. If you’ve read this far your input would be greatly appreciated.

Respectfully,

Don

Don Spence

ASUS Prime Z390-A, i9-9900K @ 5.0GHz, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 3600MHz, EVGA 1080 Ti SC2, Corsair H100i RGB Platinum cooler, Samsung 950 Pro M.2 512GB, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 1TB, Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 2TB, 2 x Intel 730 480GB SSD, CORSAIR RMX White RM850X  PSU, CORSAIR Crystal Series 680X RGB Case, Dell U3818DW

3 hours ago, wrap23 said:

I know this is a long post but I could sure use the advise of the experts out there!

Everyone is talking about the 9900k but very little about the 9900x, 9920x, 9940x. I’m needing to upgrade my 5820k build and don’t know which way to go, 9900K or X. I mostly fly the PMDG 777 in P3Dv4.4. I’m moving to a two monitor setup with a 55” Samsung 4K for outside view and a Dell U3818DW to display only the virtual cockpit. That’s a lot of pixels so I’ll also install a second 1080ti SC2. From what I can understand SLI can help push pixels and improve detail even if not improving frame rate. (An RTX 2080ti is not out of the question down the road)

Also, from my Avsim readings, it sounds like PMDG aircraft are processor intensive. When running cpu-z while flying the 777, all six cores spike frequently giving me the impression if I had more cores they would get used. My X99 system also has 64 gigs of memory (8gbX8-2400 Corsair Dominator.) It was fast memory when I built my system but not so much anymore. It does represent quite an investment however. I’d lose half of it with the Z390 build. Also PCIe lanes. Since Rob A. is building his “beast” on a Z390 board with NVLink, it sounds like 2x8 sli (nvlink) doesn’t steal performance compared to 2x16 sli(?)

I know there are many of you out there with years of experience and technical knowledge. If you’ve read this far your input would be greatly appreciated.

Respectfully,

Don

I strongly recommend against 1080ti SLI.  Been there done that.  If want specific issues I’ve encountered with SLI feel free to ask.

Matt Wilson

I would really appreciate your experience with SLI. Thanks for responding.

Don Spence

ASUS Prime Z390-A, i9-9900K @ 5.0GHz, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 3600MHz, EVGA 1080 Ti SC2, Corsair H100i RGB Platinum cooler, Samsung 950 Pro M.2 512GB, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 1TB, Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 2TB, 2 x Intel 730 480GB SSD, CORSAIR RMX White RM850X  PSU, CORSAIR Crystal Series 680X RGB Case, Dell U3818DW

1 hour ago, wrap23 said:

I would really appreciate your experience with SLI. Thanks for responding.

Sure,

1. Heat issues with upper card.  I have a large case with plenty of airflow.  Upper card could easily reach 90 degrees if u were not careful.

2. If u have any aircraft with Realight u will have flickering issues at night.  Many others have verified this as well.

3. If u undock any window and move it to another monitor SLI mode disables.  Only fix is to restart the simulator.

4. Sound issues.  Popping, static, and random clicking noise.  Disable SLI and all is well again.

5. Drivers that worked without issue were few and far between.

6. Performance was not smooth or consistent.  Hard to explain.

2080ti runs P3D like a boss.

Matt Wilson

1 hour ago, mpw8679 said:

2080ti runs P3D like a boss.

I don’t have experience with the 9900X, but completely agree with this statement.  For me, at least, and coming from a 1060, P3D is a completely delightful experience.

Never had much luck with SLI... just too unstable for me. I know others have had success, but results aren’t as consistent as I’d like to try it again. 

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

Thank you for the sli info. Sounds like a 2080ti in my future.

Anyone with ideas about i9900k vs x? Are more cores good for complex aircraft like PMDG?

Don Spence