Sign in to follow this  
threebears

HUD inoperative?

I'm using FSX-SE.  I have not been able to get anything displayed on the captain's HUD and can't find anything in  the manuals.  I've recently installed FS2Crew, and Active Sky Next, but this issue (if it is an issue) was evident before that.  Advice please?

Andrew

PS Happy New Year everyone 😁

Edited by threebears
corrected typo

14 hours ago, threebears said:

I'm using FSX-SE.  I have not been able to get anything displayed on the captain's HUD and can't find anything in  the manuals.  I've recently installed FS2Crew, and Active Sky Next, but this issue (if it is an issue) was evident before that.  Advice please?

Andrew

PS Happy New Year everyone 😁

Sounds like a corrupted dll.xml. Open a  ticket and sent over the dll.xml and will look at it.

Chris Makris

PLEASE NOTE PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at http://forum.pmdg.com

29 minutes ago, threebears said:

Hi Olympic260.  I'd be delighted - if I knew where to look for it!

support.precisionmanuals.com. If you have not opened a ticket in the past you will be needing to create a new account. Store and support accounts are different.

Chris Makris

PLEASE NOTE PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at http://forum.pmdg.com

user/app data/roaming/Microsoft or  what ever  your  flight  sim is?/ fsx   again whatever  your  flight  sim is  and  its  about  3/4  down

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

On 12/31/2018 at 3:12 PM, Olympic260 said:

support.precisionmanuals.com. If you have not opened a ticket in the past you will be needing to create a new account. Store and support accounts are different.

Hi.  I'm losing the will to live.  I found the dll.xml file.  I tried to open a ticket (as advised a new account required) but kept getting 'errored out' because my e-mail address is already in use.

2 minutes ago, threebears said:

Hi.  I'm losing the will to live.  I found the dll.xml file.  I tried to open a ticket (as advised a new account required) but kept getting 'errored out' because my e-mail address is already in use.

Please, don‘t jump out of the basement window 😄 

If your email is already in use either you have created a ticket before or the system needs a slap on the back of the head.

no need to despair, you can easily use any free provider to create a new email address and use that one. But first it might be wise to delete your browser cache, maybe this alteady helps.. anyway, you can use whatever address you want, your name is more important in the ticket than your mail address. 

Thank you Marc; I created an account using another email, as suggested, and that worked.  Just another email/password combination to remember...🤔

I just ran across this issue as I do not fly the NGX much anymore. Mine was caused by missing a <Launch.Addon> for the PMDG HUD Interface. I believe this to be a bug in the most recent installer. Mine was this.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="windows-1252"?>
<SimBase.Document Type="Launch" version="1,0">
 <Descr>Launch</Descr>
 <Filename>dll.xml</Filename>
 <Disabled>False</Disabled>
 <Launch.ManualLoad>False</Launch.ManualLoad>
</SimBase.Document>
<Launch.Addon>
  <Name>PMDG Interface</Name>
  <Path>PMDG\DLLs\PMDG_interface.dll</Path>
  <DllStartName>module_init</DllStartName>
  <DllStopName>module_deinit</DllStopName>
</Launch.Addon>
<Launch.Addon> <---------This was missing!!!!!
  <Name>PMDG HUD Interface</Name>
  <Path>PMDG\DLLs\PMDG_HUD_interface.dll</Path>
  <DllStartName>module_init</DllStartName>
  <DllStopName>module_deinit</DllStopName>
</Launch.Addon>

This was causing the rest of my entries to not be started due to this error. I added the <Launch.Addon> entry after the </Launch.Addon and it loaded correctly.

Tim,

Thanks for the feedback, but I'm going to push back on the "must be the installer" conclusion.

If you consider this in terms of scale, if we make so much as a spelling error in our installer related to the DLL.XML, this would cause users to pile up in our support system so fast it would make your head spin.  (A quick check of activation history shows that we see multiple thousands of installs/reinstalls per week across all of our product lines, which use the same script file as the NGX for dll.xml editing.  Imagine a moment that it was broken...  you can see how quickly we would find out about it!) 

This tells me that you should probably be considering what else you have done and/or installed onto your machine that might cause such a thing to happen.

The dll.xml was a flawed design on the part of Microsoft- and more than once we have seen our support team swamped with complaints when some enterprising, but poorly quality controlled product comes on the market and makes a hash out of people's dll.xml.  (Last big offender was FeelThere adding corrupt characters all over the bloody file, but that was about five years ago...)

So- we are glad to hear you resolved the issue- but the source most likely lies with the person responsible for installing/maintaining your machine.  🤣

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Robert,

That is understandable. I can agree with your conclusion. I wasn't saying it "must be" in the installer. I said "may be". I can agree to your animosity that most users on here have. I wasn't intending to throw blame or anything like that. I can agree that something did mess it up but I cannot tell you with 100% what did. I am a PMDG Fan.

Hopefully, all is well.

Just to add to this:  If you find that RAAS is not loading for you (not visible in the ADDONS menu), 99.9 percent of the time it's because of that missing line in the DLL.xml shown above.

In the good old days we could just drop DLL's into the Module's folder.

Life was simple then...

With help from a number of posts I managed to sort my HUD: I was sent a 'corrected' dll.xml file.  Unfortunately my copy of Active Sky Next (also recently installed) now throws an error message about the dll.xml being invalid / not recognisable.  It seems to load, nevertheless, but I don't know if it does correctly.