Sign in to follow this  
zap51

Is is better to switch to FSX SE from FSX Gold Edition

Just purchased FSX Steam (came with Piper Aztec).  This will take a looonnnnggg time to download.  Thanks for the input guys!

Edited by zap51

I have FSX Steam now.  How do I get my old FSX apps to work with it.  For example, trying to get Active Sky 16 to work with it.

Have you set the app paths to point to the FSX:SE directory so that AS16 knows where to connect? I recall that FSX and FSX:SE don’t necessarily use the same installation paths. 

Best regards

Rupert

48 minutes ago, CB_Pilot said:

Have you set the app paths to point to the FSX:SE directory so that AS16 knows where to connect? I recall that FSX and FSX:SE don’t necessarily use the same installation paths. 

The default path is x/Steam/steamapps/common/FSX.  The "x" depends on where you have your Steam games installed.  In my case it is C:/ but I believe the Steam default is one of the Program Files folders.

• Like 1

Sim: Prepar3D 5.2 (main) and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020), CH Eclipse Yoke, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA Side Stick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Cessna trim wheel, TrackIR 5, SPAD.neXt running 3 Saitek Logitech panels, ButtKicker Gamer 2, Razer Naga Chroma gaming mouse

System: Intel i5-10600K CPU @ 4.10 GHz, Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, 64GB DDR4 RAM @ 4200 MHz, ASRock Z490M Pro4, 2TB Intel NVMe SSD 660p, 3 monitors

Just a side note... Dovetail corrected the old FSX issue of installing to the Program Files (X86) location, so it shouldn't be a problem to install to the default location.  In fact, it never really was a problem for FSX:MS either, so long as one edited the folder security/permissions.  Anyway, it should be fine to install FSX:SE to the default location, if that's what you're interested in doing.

Best wishes!

• Like 1

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Even though I got rid of FSX, I still have the FSX folder at C:/Program Files(x86) > Microsoft Games > Microsoft Flight Simulator X.  All my old downloads are still there.

20 minutes ago, zap51 said:

Even though I got rid of FSX, I still have the FSX folder at C:/Program Files(x86) > Microsoft Games > Microsoft Flight Simulator X.  All my old downloads are still there.

I would delete any of the non-addon files and folders... and just keep the ones with the addons, at least until you move them (if you plan on doing that). 

Happy New Year my friend!

• Like 1

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Well you can go to fs2004, you can get better grafics with a lot more of framerates, it depends on what aircraft you are going to fly, a320 there are not very good ones, 737 you got PMDG and iFly, the best is the 777 from PSS(the 737 is also very good)

FS9 would definitely get better framerates.  I'll stick with FSX-SE.  Questions though.  How do you get FSX Steam to work with AES?  I can't get the jetways to work.

22 minutes ago, zap51 said:

How do you get FSX Steam to work with AES?  I can't get the jetways to work.

Please see the developer's thread (below).

Best wishes!

https://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/89974-aes-with-fsxse/

Dave Hodges