Sign in to follow this  
jahn

Need to educate myself with GPU technology

13 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Well I never had a 2080Ti to do the comparison. 

After all your criticism of the 2080ti you’ve never even used one to have a valid comparison?  Hmmm.

Matt Wilson

1 minute ago, mpw8679 said:

After all your criticism of the 2080ti you’ve never even used one to have a valid comparison?  Hmmm.

Still making valuable contributions I see. 🤨

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

26 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Glad I did as they’re now virtually unobtainable here. In fairness, I never said the 1080Ti was cutting edge. Just far better value than the 2080Ti.

40% higher cost for 30-40% better performance doesn't strike me as unreasonable.  In fact the 2080Ti was about 40% cheaper than a 2x1080Ti config that was somewhat slower. 

Cost effectiveness is always in the eye of the beholder.  For those seeking high-end performance, the value is certainly there. 

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

3 minutes ago, w6kd said:

40% higher cost for 30-40% better performance doesn't strike me as unreasonable.  In fact the 2080Ti was about 40% cheaper than a 2x1080Ti config that was somewhat slower. 

Cost effectiveness is always in the eye of the beholder.  For those seeking high-end performance, the value is certainly there. 

Can you point me to a review showing the difference in P3D? At the time I was ordering my PC the 2080Ti was simply too expensive at 1250UKP. The 1080Ti was 400UKP cheaper. Maybe things are less expensive in the US.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

5 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Can you point me to a review showing the difference in P3D? At the time I was ordering my PC the 2080Ti was simply too expensive at 1250UKP. The 1080Ti was 400UKP cheaper. Maybe things are less expensive in the US.

Ray,  Three avsim members myself included have stated that the 2080ti has outperformed 1080ti’s in SLI.  

Edited by mpw8679

Matt Wilson

Just now, mpw8679 said:

Ray,  Three avsim members myself included have stated that the 2080ti has outperformed 1080ti’s in SLI.  

Where are the results of that test? What about non-SLI 1080Ti?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

13 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Still making valuable contributions I see. 🤨

Well let’s see here.  Contributing valid claims based from real world experience vs someone making false claims with no real world experience. Hmmm

Matt Wilson

I’m done in this topic.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

34 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

A review?  No, I'm writing here from my own personal experience.  The price differential was about the same here in the US if you just swap dollars for pounds.  So both cards were--proportionally--less expensive here.

My 2x SLI config was two $850 1080Ti cards plus a $50 high-bandwidth SLI bridge ($1750 total)...the 2080Ti was $1250.

You seem to be defensive Ray, as if I were criticizing your choice of video card.  I'm certainly not...but I am taking exception to your statements here that seem to suggest that the 2080Ti offers little in the way of performance gain over a 1080Ti (it performs better than a pair of 1080Tis), and/or is a poor value (the price is commensurate with the performance gain).  Sure it's expensive, but high-end always is.  But the fact that it's pricey doesn't mean those who are willing/able to pay the high price aren't getting real value for their money.

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

1 minute ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I’m done in this topic.

Ray,  No need to go.  I’m sure you have a lot to contribute to this post.  I just don’t understand some of your arguments.  You seem heavily biased based on what you own and find it very hard to accept other people’s opinions.  Then you become defensive and resort to petty insults.

Matt Wilson

9 minutes ago, w6kd said:

A review?  No, I'm writing here from my own personal experience.  The price differential was about the same here in the US if you just swap dollars for pounds.  So both cards were--proportionally--less expensive here.

My 2x SLI config was two $850 1080Ti cards plus a $50 high-bandwidth SLI bridge ($1750 total)...the 2080Ti was $1250.

You seem to be defensive Ray, as if I were criticizing your choice of video card.  I'm certainly not...but I am taking exception to your statements here that seem to suggest that the 2080Ti offers little in the way of performance gain over a 1080Ti, and/or is a poor value.  Sure it's expensive, but high-end always is.  But the fact that it's pricey doesn't mean those who are willing/able to pay the high price aren't getting real value for their money.

With my personal experience I would say a 2080ti gave me a 10-15% increase over my dual 1080ti’s.

Matt Wilson

Bob / Matt,

If I was going to test a new card against my old one I'd setup a scenario in a complex location and use that as the basis for the test. Fixed weather and no Ai. Do the test 3 or 4 times. Write down the highest / lowest fps you see. FSUIPC is ideal for this as you can view the log afterwards and note its high / low fps.

Then change the card and load the same scenario. Repeat the test with nothing changed from the first one. The differences will be clear.

Bob, if the 2080Ti is 10-15% faster than two 1080Ti cards in SLI mode how fast is it against one 1080Ti? Few people have two expensive cards to run SLI. More typical is a single card user. Testing like with like would be more helpful.

As I said earlier back in October the reviews of the 2080Ti for general gaming showed the 2080Ti to be faster and I accept that but the cost was outrageous. I did consider it but several people here on AvSim asked if it was really worth it when P3D couldn't take advantage of Ray tracing. I decided the extra cost was not justified and felt Nvidia were taking the p*ss.

I do get sceptical when I don't see numbers to back up claims. It's not personal against either of you. I prefer to see proof card x is faster than card y and how the test was conducted.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

And just to add a bit more. If the average fps of the first test was 30 and the average of the second was 35 then that is a 16.6% improvement which can even be proved with data from FSUIPC logs.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

8 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Bob / Matt,

If I was going to test a new card against my old one I'd setup a scenario in a complex location and use that as the basis for the test. Fixed weather and no Ai. Do the test 3 or 4 times. Write down the highest / lowest fps you see. FSUIPC is ideal for this as you can view the log afterwards and note its high / low fps.

Then change the card and load the same scenario. Repeat the test with nothing changed from the first one. The differences will be clear.

Bob, if the 2080Ti is 10-15% faster than two 1080Ti cards in SLI mode how fast is it against one 1080Ti? Few people have two expensive cards to run SLI. More typical is a single card user. Testing like with like would be more helpful.

As I said earlier back in October the reviews of the 2080Ti for general gaming showed the 2080Ti to be faster and I accept that but the cost was outrageous. I did consider it but several people here on AvSim asked if it was really worth it when P3D couldn't take advantage of Ray tracing. I decided the extra cost was not justified and felt Nvidia were taking the p*ss.

I do get sceptical when I don't see numbers to back up claims. It's not personal against either of you. I prefer to see proof card x is faster than card y and how the test was conducted.

Ray,  I appreciate your need to see facts to back up claims.  But how many people actually go thru all the trouble?  Basically my “testing” consisted of:

1.  Setting the sim up in a very demanding situation yet still able to maintain 30 FPS.

2.  My go to spot is KSEA with the full ORBX treatment.

3.  With Active Sky I find a day in historical weather with full heavy overcast.

4.  I set the time to night and turn off all AI traffic.

5.  With the Maddog X parked at the same gate at T2G KSEA I turn on all the dynamic lighting.

6.  Then I basically just ramp up the AA, shadows, and cloud resolutions till I get a good feel of what the card can take by watching the GPU usage %.

7.  By no means scientific it does give me a pretty accurate opinion that I am able to pass on to others.

8.  I have posted a few times in other topics giving a basic idea of what settings I was able to change depending on card used.

9.  I did not do any in depth testing between the single 1080ti vs 1080ti’s in SLI because the boost in performance was so obvious.  

10.  I’m sure u will find my method not up to your standards but I really don’t care.  At least I have some first hand knowledge.  When confronted with any sort of information that you don’t agree with you become hostile.  Then you make it personal by making immature comments on my use of the English language.  I guess that helps you deal with the realization that some of your statements have no leg to stand on.  

Matt Wilson

Matt,

Your post started off fine but then you felt the need to have a dig at me when you could have just kept it objective.

I learned to test that way from Pete Dowson. It removes as much of the subjectivity as possible from the test.

But if your methos works for you then that's fine.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather