Sign in to follow this  
MDFlier

Heads up on disabling / re-enabling addons for each flight

I seemed like a good idea to disable KIAD, KCLT, KDEN, KMSP and KMCO when flying between KBOS and KBWI. It was easy to do, and the "Add-Ons" button is in conspicuously close proximity to the other option buttons on the save scenario screen, so why not? I thought that maybe the add-on selections were saved with the scenario, which would be nice. Maybe they are. I haven't read the manual.

Well... I didn't notice a darn bit of difference in load times or performance. What I DID notice was that activating the sceneries I was using and deactivating the ones I wasn't on a per fight basis was making a mess of things after a few flights. Every time you start a flight, the scenery indexes rebuild. Every time GSX loads, it has to regenerate its cache. So much for saving load times. Then, I have one of my best flight simulation flights EVER end with an absolutely perfect RNAV approach dropping out of a 300' ceiling on final to.... the bloody default KCLT. Grrrrr! Okay... That won't happen again. Reactivate all the add-ons, Second darn near perfect flight. RNAV approach calls for overfly of KBOS at about 7000' with a flight path circling back for landing. As I get close enough, its another default airport!

I had to follow some additional steps from the FlyTampa manual for KBOS to get it working again. Then, I had to run Vector AEC, then delete the scenery indexes, and then rebuild the GSX cache. You get the point.

Hoping to save some of my fellow flight simulation enthusiasts some valuable flight time. If you were thinking about trying this at home. STOP. Step away from the keyboard. Then come back and just fly. Save yourself the heartache. There's probably software out there to do this without causing problems like this. Using the built in facility to do so was more trouble than it was worth.

• Upvote 1

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

I don't think you really need to do this with v4... 

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Lorby-SI's P3D Addon Manager is the way to go here.  It facilitates scenery groupings for easy mass (e.g. regional) enable/disable operations.

GSX cache regeneration shouldn't take more than a few seconds, so it's pretty much a non-factor unless you have some other issue significantly slowing it down.

If you have a large number of add-on sceneries (I have over 250 installed, plus thousands of enhanced ADE airport files included in the various Orbx regions) disabling the unneeded stuff saves minutes off of load times, which more than makes up for a few seconds spent rebuilding P3D's scenery indices or the GSX cache.

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

46 minutes ago, w6kd said:

Lorby-SI's P3D Addon Manager is the way to go here.  It facilitates scenery groupings for easy mass (e.g. regional) enable/disable operations.

GSX cache regeneration shouldn't take more than a few seconds, so it's pretty much a non-factor unless you have some other issue significantly slowing it down.

If you have a large number of add-on sceneries (I have over 250 installed, plus thousands of enhanced ADE airport files included in the various Orbx regions) disabling the unneeded stuff saves minutes off of load times, which more than makes up for a few seconds spent rebuilding P3D's scenery indices or the GSX cache.

Regards

I've saw the GSX cache regeneration take up to about 2 minutes during this time. It only ran once since I got things back to normal and I think it ran in 2 seconds. Very fast.

Maybe I'm just not a Lorby's kinda guy. Not yet.  I like to learn to make the changes by hand and do it that way for a while until I learn it. It could possibly be the former UNIX geek in me that just makes me do things that way. I'm sure it's a fine tool for the masses but using it allows a lot of the little details and intricacies to go unseen. I want to play in the weeds. After I've got that down I would be likely to use Lorby's. At that point it would be just a shortcut. So... maybe later. I've got a sim to break. And then fix. Rinse and repeat until I know it inside and out.

I did deactivate Europe, S. America, etc. in the scenery library since I'm flying domestic routes these days and that seems to have sped up the load times a good bit.

One final note. I wasn't worried about the time spent rebuilding the indexes and cache. My comment meant that I hadn't considered that behavior when I made the decision to deactivate stuff. I was noticing that the two somehow seemed to get out of sync with each other and were causing issues. My customized jetways weren't showing with the proper logos sometimes. I experienced some bizarre vehicle behavior in GSX as well.

Edited by MDFlier

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

1 hour ago, WarpD said:

I don't think you really need to do this with v4... 

After playing with it, I tend to agree. Maybe with a huge number of add-ons like w6kd has... but not for a common install like mine. I've only got 7 airports and 3 Orbx regions.

1 hour ago, MDFlier said:

Maybe I'm just not a Lorby's kinda guy. Not yet.  I like to learn to make the changes by hand and do it that way for a while until I learn it. It could possibly be the former UNIX geek in me that just makes me do things that way. I'm sure it's a fine tool for the masses but using it allows a lot of the little details and intricacies to go unseen. I want to play in the weeds. After I've got that down I would be likely to use Lorby's. At that point it would be just a shortcut. So... maybe later. I've got a sim to break. And then fix. Rinse and repeat until I know it inside and out.

Errrr...well, OK...but then why use the P3D scenery dialog, which gives you far less control and visibility than either P3D Addon Manager or manual manipulation of the config files?

The kinds of bizarre behavior you describe sounds like improper layering of active sceneries, something very difficult to manage across multiple (at least three) config files (all located in different directories) without proper tools.

Anyway, to each his own.  Lots of ways to skin a critter...some are efficient and quick and leave you with a nice pelt, some take way too much effort and then when you're done you have a hacked-up mess of bloody fur to show for it.

Regards

• Upvote 2

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Airport scenery loads whenever you get within 18nm of the airport. There are two loads for most payware scenery, the other load occurs after you're lower than 18,000ft.  Disabling scenery isn't really necessary anymore UNLESS you're system is already challenged by running P3Dv4 or you have limited RAM and/or VRAM, so on those types of systems it's still a good idea to disable everything except the Origin and Destination scenery.  Also, for those with Laptops, doing this can also reduce heat.  But for everyone else, it's really not necessary.  As an afterthought.. those who make highly detailed scenery videos will often disable other sceneries... but that's not most of us.

The best way to disable a scenery addon that was added by the XML method (most all native P3Dv4 installers) is to use Lorby's Addon Organizer (SceneryConfig Editor is another option) - both of these are freeware.  Lorby's allows you to group airports, so you can activate specific groups if you wish but for reducing the scenery memory footprint this really isn't a viable option.

One other things that disabling scenery can do is get rid of some PhotoReal scenery, which is usually loaded regardless of where the aircraft and scenery is.  Example:  Aircraft is sitting in New York City and the photoreal scenery is in Europe... well, the photoreal scenery is still doing to be loaded unless it's disabled.  Again, most people today don't have to worry about this, but those with older systems and/or laptops may wish to consider this.

The tools mentioned above allow you to do all sorts of terrific things, and make disabling and enabling scenery way too easy.

I hope this has been helpful to you!

My very best wishes for Happy Flights!

• Upvote 1

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

4 hours ago, w6kd said:

Errrr...well, OK...but then why use the P3D scenery dialog, which gives you far less control and visibility than either P3D Addon Manager or manual manipulation of the config files?

The kinds of bizarre behavior you describe sounds like improper layering of active sceneries, something very difficult to manage across multiple (at least three) config files (all located in different directories) without proper tools.

Anyway, to each his own.  Lots of ways to skin a critter...some are efficient and quick and leave you with a nice pelt, some take way too much effort and then when you're done you have a hacked-up mess of bloody fur to show for it.

Regards

All of the issues encountered were resolved. The entire point of my post was that the obvious, readily available, built in, "safe", easy, fool proof method can cause problems if you use it as it was apparently intended. I was telling people who didn't know any better not to do that. I am fortunate that I had the wherewithal to undo it.

I wasn't expecting the you're a dipstick because you haven't used Lorby's routine.

Frankly your post came off as the little boy who cried wolf. There are many many experienced simmers in the community who routinely turn off and on their addons to tune their experience. To post a big warning about  how "dangerous" and "bad" it can be (instead of asking for advice on how to make it work) seems a bit presumptuous of others' abilities. Especially in these forurms where there are some of the most experienced and knowledgeable folks around. 

I have been using SimStarter to modify my addon environment with 4 versions of the ESP simulator with no problems like befuddled you. 

Next time, simply ask if anyone else had the same experience as you. 

Edited by Henry Street

If you don't like the post you can simply chose not to read it. No need to be rude.

Not everyone is as well versed in all things P3D like the experienced folks who hang out in here. They were not my intended audience. Some "regular" people may see that button and contemplate using it expecting smooth sailing. If one of those people sees my post and decides against doing it and it saves them from messing things up, then it did some good. Crikey. And it's only crying wolf if no one gets bitten by the wolf. It bit me square in the bum.

Good luck in your quest for knowledge.

2 hours ago, MDFlier said:

I wasn't expecting the you're a dipstick because you haven't used Lorby's routine.

I certainly hope you didn't think I meant to say anything even remotely similar to this. For my part, I was simply trying to help you have a better experience and reading my post over a few times I just can't see anyone could come away thinking anything different. 

Anyway, point taken, I won't risk offending you by offering future help or information.  But I will certainly wish you the very best and a Happy New Year.

• Like 1

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

6 hours ago, Henry Street said:

4 versions of the ESP simulator

Impossible.  There has only been a single version of ESP, ever.

• Upvote 1

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

7 hours ago, MDFlier said:

If you don't like the post you can simply chose not to read it. No need to be rude.

No-one's was being 'rude' to you.

@Henry Street, simply expressed the opinion, that he felt the title of your topic, was a little presumptuous and misleading - which I personally tend to agree with. He even offered an explanation, with his view.

Just because you don't agree with an opinion, doesn't mean, that said opinion or view, is an insult. 🙂

Edited by Anders Bermann

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

7 hours ago, WarpD said:

Impossible.  There has only been a single version of ESP, ever.

Love all the knowledge and geeks of this forum (even the wingflex ones). I should have said "...Microsoft simulators..."