Sign in to follow this  
yankeegolf3

asking for news of HL James

I have been wondering for some time too and the staff looked for him and sent him PM's several times and no response.  I believe I read somewhere where he was in his 80's.  Many people live long past 80 today but it does not look good.  Hopefully I am wrong and he is only recuperating from an operation or something like that.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 4

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

1 hour ago, Jim Young said:

I have been wondering for some time too and the staff looked for him and sent him PM's several times and no response.  I believe I read somewhere where he was in his 80's.  Many people live long past 80 today but it does not look good.  Hopefully I am wrong and he is only recuperating from an operation or something like that.

I did not realize he was in his 80's.  I guess one can reason he may be down with an illness, he was such a friend to us and always encouraged us to enjoy our sim....

John

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

We often pretty much act like our co-pilot's keepers around here.

I like that! :smile:

But unfortunately have no special knowledge about HL James these recent days. 

Kindest regards,

Spirit Flyer

(Stephen)

• Upvote 1

Sad to hear that no one has heard from him.  I too have been absent from the screen shot forum for a while but always enjoyed stopping in and seeing his work.  Will keep him in my prayers

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

KROSWYND    a.k.a KILO_WHISKEY
Majestic Software Development/Support
Banner_MJC8.png

Sys 1:  AMD 7950X3D, NOCTUA D15S, Gigabyte Elite B650, MSI 4090, 64Gb Ram, Corsair 850 Power Supply, 2x2TB M.2 Samsung 980s, 1x4TB WDD M.2, 6xNoctua 120mm case fans, LG C2 55" OLED running at 120Hz for the monitor, Win11. Sys 2:  i7 8700k, MSI GAMING MBoard, 32Gigs RAM, MSI 4070Ti & EVGA 1080Ti. Hardware:  Brunner CLS-E-NG Yoke, Fulcrum One yoke, TM TPR Rudder Pedals, Yoko TQ6+ NEO, StreamDeck, Tobii Eye Tracker, Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base with a TM grip
SIMULATORS: MSFS2020/XP12/P3D v5.4 & v6:  YouTube Videos

7 hours ago, Jim Young said:

I have been wondering for some time too and the staff looked for him and sent him PM's several times and no response.

Wishing the best for HL.  And hoping the Avsim staff continues trying to make contact with him.  He is an important part of this site.

Greg

Hello guys,

It does not look good at all. I am afraid we will never know how he is doing, unless he posts another great looking set of screenshots.  As for myself, when I kick the bucket, I don't think my wife will post a message here.

He was (hopefully is) such a nice chap, always kind with fellow simmers. That is why I asked for him. I too sent him a PM in october, but he did not reply.

If we knew his full name, we could browse internet.  

On 1/1/2019 at 2:46 PM, yankeegolf3 said:

If we knew his full name, we could browse internet. 

His profile says he's from Santa Ana, CA .  Homer is his first name. 

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I did a quick search and got a hit on Homer Lee James 77 years old from Santa Ana California. A few years younger then 80

Matthew Kane

4 hours ago, yankeegolf3 said:

I found him too in the white pages with a phone number and address. It could be our man. 

I hope it's him and he is OK.  Please let us know.

Spirit Flyer

I have decided that if we cannot contact him via the PM system, then it is an indication the member does not want to be contacted.  I do have access to his e-mail address and sent him another e-mail thinking that if the e-mail is no longer valid, it would be returned by the ISP.  It has been almost an hour and the e-mail was not returned as undeliverable.  We'll have to leave it at that as I want to respect his privacy.  I already stated his first name and feel bad about that but, if you do a search for HL James in Santa Ana, it shows a Homer.  If we cannot find a public record then I think we should just respect his privacy.  We tried.

• Like 2

Submit News to AVSIM

54 minutes ago, Jim Young said:

I have decided that if we cannot contact him via the PM system, then it is an indication the member does not want to be contacted.  I do have access to his e-mail address and sent him another e-mail thinking that if the e-mail is no longer valid, it would be returned by the ISP.  It has been almost an hour and the e-mail was not returned as undeliverable.  We'll have to leave it at that as I want to respect his privacy.  I already stated his first name and feel bad about that but, if you do a search for HL James in Santa Ana, it shows a Homer.  If we cannot find a public record then I think we should just respect his privacy.  We tried.

I suppose this could end up either way. I remember some time in I think 2007, I was trying to ask somebody a question regarding the font on a livery he had painted for me, so I sent him an e-mail. No response, and nothing indicating that the e-mail didn't go through. At that point in time, I had not been on any of the flight simulator forums in quite a while, so it wasn't until the end of 2008 when I returned to the forums and found out that he had passed away from a heart attack in 2006.

• Like 1

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

On a more positive note, also back in 2007 I moved from Toronto to Nova Scotia and didn't bring my computer with me intentionally, therefore I disappeared from the digital world for quite a while. Best thing I ever did.

We live in an even more crazy world today then we did 10 years ago therefore people giving it a break can be for many different reasons. 

Edited by Matthew Kane
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Matthew Kane

17 hours ago, Jim Young said:

Hello Jim

Thank you for trying to contact him. You don't have to feel bad about giving his name because the member chose a user name with his full name and he also indicated the place where he lives in his profile. A google search found him. No secrets revealed here.

• Like 1