Sign in to follow this  
yankeegolf3

asking for news of HL James

10 minutes ago, John_Cillis said:

I believe this is what happened, some simmers use their nicknamw on forums.  The Obit shows that he was an air force alumni, so he knew of aviation.  And thr time of his passing is very close to his leaving the forums

https://www.newcomertitusville.com/Obituary/161985/Randall-James/Titusville-Florida

Lets just hope you're wrong, john.

I’m not an American but Orlando FL is the opposite side of your Country to Santa Ana CA, which is where HL James own profile on the forum says he lives.

I don’t think the Obit is for our much thought of Screen Shot contributor, however respects to Mr Randall James.

That obituary states that the named person passed away on August 29, but the latest post of our HL James was made on September 1.

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I think it's wonderful that members think so much of Mr. James. I do too as I've enjoyed his screenshots for years.  However, I think his privacy should be protected and the unsolicited searches for him across media is reaching a point that is almost inappropriate.  We now have an obit posted that obviously has nothing to do with Homer.

My advice is to voice your concern and wishes that he is ok and let this go. If Homer is still well and wishes to contact Avsim, then he will surely do so. Other than that, if he is not well, then if his family or close friends will respond to us if they wish to do so.

Thank you for respecting his privacy as I'm sure you would like the same if you were in this situation.

• Upvote 3

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

This privacy thing tends to get on my nerves. Are we in a world now where nobody is allowed to try and find a friend if they are concerned about them (or simply want to make contact)?

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

2 hours ago, 188AHC said:

I think it's wonderful that members think so much of Mr. James. I do too as I've enjoyed his screenshots for years.  However, I think his privacy should be protected and the unsolicited searches for him across media is reaching a point that is almost inappropriate.  We now have an obit posted that obviously has nothing to do with Homer.

My advice is to voice your concern and wishes that he is ok and let this go. If Homer is still well and wishes to contact Avsim, then he will surely do so. Other than that, if he is not well, then if his family or close friends will respond to us if they wish to do so.

Thank you for respecting his privacy as I'm sure you would like the same if you were in this situation.

I would be glad to see him come back, but sometimes simmers use nicknames, and it is not inappropriate to care about and research a long time friend of these forums.  I REALLY REALLY WANT TO BE WRONG,  As for the dates, maybe someone posted on his behalf.  As for the location, I did not want to pursue anything further. I am not someone's private detective, I am in the present tense concerned about him.  But these days, lest you be concerned, about someone--they will shoot you to be a good Samaritan

I would rather be annoyed someone was asking about me than depressed that nobody was. The randomness of choosing which member of the forum deserves this treatment is the problem here. It only takes one caring person to notice someone is missing, I don't see a problem with that person attempting a wellness check on a member themselves. The issue would be the forum itself or a mod doing it 'officially'. I get enough spam and junk mail it is from major corporations I deal with without an email bot asking me after 3 months 'are you OK Russell we haven't heard from you for a while'? God forbid! 

I think public information is fair to share but private info should stay that way. 

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK

BTW, what about Larry Adamson ?

It's been quite a long time since I last read a post by Larry ?

• Upvote 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

7 hours ago, John_Cillis said:

I believe this is what happened, some simmers use their nicknamw on forums.  The Obit shows that he was an air force alumni, so he knew of aviation.  And thr time of his passing is very close to his leaving the forums

https://www.newcomertitusville.com/Obituary/161985/Randall-James/Titusville-Florida

This is definitely not HLJames.  His first name is definitely Homer.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

2 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

This privacy thing tends to get on my nerves. Are we in a world now where nobody is allowed to try and find a friend if they are concerned about them (or simply want to make contact)?

AVSIM really does not have any privacy information on members other than what members want to divulged.  A display name cannot be tied to one individual unless they use their real name like me (and maybe you).  What you post in the forums is the intellectual property of AVSIM.  Many members come to me and request they be deleted as members in accordance with some EU privacy law.  I'll delete the account but the forum content remains.  It's just that their name will now be shown as a guest.  Members can easily privatize their own account by removing all personal data from their profile and changing their Display Name and Avatar to something that will not identify them.  I could see if we maintained credit card information, names and addresses, but we do not. Donations are made by PayPal and they maintain the CC info.  There's nothing on AVSIM that can be used by others to steal your identity and that's the most important thing.

I personally like the fact that my forum posts and information will last long after my life and until AVSIM no longer exists. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

12 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

I agree because this is a human response and I too care about people, but the difference is conversations on here are documented digitally compared to you and I have a conversation at a cafe about someone we are worried about.  This would be the reason why the Mods have requested some privacy on this forum as it is digitally documented, I can understand that logic as well. 

EDIT: I didn't see Jim's post above when I posted this, I agree I don't mind my posts being digitally preserved as well

Edited by Matthew Kane
  • Like 1

Matthew Kane

16 hours ago, Matthew Kane said:

I agree because this is a human response and I too care about people, but the difference is conversations on here are documented digitally compared to you and I have a conversation at a cafe about someone we are worried about.  This would be the reason why the Mods have requested some privacy on this forum as it is digitally documented, I can understand that logic as well. 

EDIT: I didn't see Jim's post above when I posted this, I agree I don't mind my posts being digitally preserved as well

I have not minded that my posts have been digitally preserved, that way when I have been a jerk I can remind myself of that before being one again.  Facebook is another site where even if you delete your account, your history is preserved not just thru them, but thru Google as well.  The owner of Facebook was evading this fact when he testified before Congress.  I find it still a valuable site for staying in touch with family or former colleagues, or making new friends.  This site serves the same purpose, although I miss some of the old attendees of the site who have moved on either because of wanting to try something new or just staying idle for a while.  Sometimes I drop out for a couple of months or more, I think my longest spell was six months until someone finally asked where I had gone.  Sometimes being online just takes up too much time and keeps me from my other computer hobbies, especially programming.  I am studying the old language Fortran right now, and some COBOL to add to the three languages I know, Visual Basic, C(all flavors) and Java.

John

AVSIM has received word that HL James has had some medical issues and has not been on his computer for several months.  He is doing better and we will wait for his return to the forums, health permitting! :dry:

• Like 11
  • Upvote 2

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

God bless and protect him.

José Luís

| Flightsimulator: MSFS | Add-Ons: | PMDG Douglas DC-6 | PMDG 737-700 | Fenix A320 | Maddog X MD82| FSW CESSNA 414AW CHANCELLOR |