Sign in to follow this  
Rocky_53

Ideas on 15fps!

Hmm, I know we all experience these kind of oddities, but regardless of research, I have failed to discover what is causing a sudden, severe decline in frames. Earlier today I decided on a short flight from KBOS across to CYUL, just a hop and a skip to test some new settings. Sat at gate 4, with 28% AI and all settings at medium, I was enjoying a decent 26-28fps and considering the Flytampa airport and surrounding autogen I was more than happy with this. I kicked off with GSX services, which all ran quite well, although frames dipped a little, but after about 10 minutes, frames dropped to a rediculous 15! They never returned to more than 18. The experience was very stuttery and I was a sad boy 😞  I closed down GSX, ran AI at 0, neither changes made any difference. I opened up task manager to try and discover what was the culprit, without success. My first thought was that Windows was updating, but that was not the case as I disable it prior to any flying. I couldn't see anything obvious running in the background. I was perplexed. Does anyone have any ideas?

Edited by Rockliffe

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Hello Howard - I noticed that you said in another thread that you set your overclock back to 4.5.  Since I upped mine to 5.1 (turned HT off) my FPS has been through the roof sometime > 200.

The benefit from turning off HT is that you can increase your core clock.

You might want to try that as it could help in heavy scenery areas with a lot of traffic.

Regards
bs

Edited by bean_sprout

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

1 hour ago, Rockliffe said:

Hmm, I know we all experience these kind of oddities, but regardless of research, I have failed to discover what is causing a sudden, severe decline in frames. Earlier today I decided on a short flight from KBOS across to CYUL, just a hop and a skip to test some new settings. Sat at gate 4, with 28% AI and all settings at medium, I was enjoying a decent 26-28fps and considering the Flytampa airport and surrounding autogen I was more than happy with this. I kicked off with GSX services, which all ran quite well, although frames dipped a little, but after about 10 minutes, frames dropped to a rediculous 15! They never returned to more than 18. The experience was very stuttery and I was a sad boy 😞  I closed down GSX, ran AI at 0, neither changes made any difference. I opened up task manager to try and discover what was the culprit, without success. My first thought was that Windows was updating, but that was not the case as I disable it prior to any flying. I couldn't see anything obvious running in the background. I was perplexed. Does anyone have any ideas?

What is your gpu usage % in that situation?

Matt Wilson

I noticed that something similar is happening with my system, which is almost three years old.  I have UT Live and countless airports from the most popular developers and limit my planes to PMDG.  I know a clean install can fix things, but I've invested a lot of time.  For example, I recently made this landing video of DFW and got about 15 FPS.  When my system was newer, it was in the low to mid 20s with the same settings:

https://youtu.be/uOebJk3GBro 

Edited by Luis_KMIA
  • Like 1

LUIS LINARES

Processor: Intel Core i9 6700K 9900K (5.0 GHz Turbo) Eight Core; CPU Cooling: NXXT Kraken X62 280mm CPU Liquid Cooler; System Memory: 64GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM @ 3200 MHz, RGB; Graphics Processor: 11GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, GDDR6, Primary Drive: 2TB Samsung 850 Pro Solid State Drive (SSD)

1 hour ago, sparkie66 said:

Maybe try ht on? 😎

sorry, i had to make this one 😁

😒😊

1 hour ago, bean_sprout said:

Hello Howard - I noticed that you said in another thread that you set your overclock back to 4.5.  Since I upped mine to 5.1 (turned HT off) my FPS has been through the roof sometime > 200.

The benefit from turning off HT is that you can increase your core clock.

You might want to try that as it could help in heavy scenery areas with a lot of traffic.

Regards
bs

Sure, the performance is not an issue, it's the drop in performance for no apparent reason. Performance across the board is very good.

29 minutes ago, mpw8679 said:

What is your gpu usage % in that situation?

Hmm, I opted out there, I foolishly didn't take a look.

As I say, the issue is not performance overall... I'm curious as to why there was an instant drop in fps, that didn't return to normal,  for no apparent reason.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke

I had the same problem my FPS declined all the way down to 8 fps and my problem was that my USB selective suspend setting was tuned off and went up to 45 fps once I turned it back on. Hope it helps

Cheers, Manny Ortiz

4 minutes ago, Manny Ortiz said:

I had the same problem my FPS declined all the way down to 8 fps and my problem was that my USB selective suspend setting was tuned off and went up to 45 fps once I turned it back on. Hope it helps

Man that is esoteric!

Regards
bs

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

10 minutes ago, Rockliffe said:

😒😊

Sure, the performance is not an issue, it's the drop in performance for no apparent reason. Performance across the board is very good.

Hmm, I opted out there, I foolishly didn't take a look.

As I say, the issue is not performance overall... I'm curious as to why there was an instant drop in fps, that didn't return to normal,  for no apparent reason.

Lots of times if u have a sudden GPU load that spikes the GPU % to 100% it will cause that issue.  Often it will not recover till a sim restart.

Matt Wilson

2 minutes ago, bean_sprout said:

Man that is esoteric!

Regards
bs

It's great info, i've entered it into my WTH do I now notebook...😎

27 minutes ago, Manny Ortiz said:

USB selective suspend setting was tuned off and went up to 45 fps once I turned it back on. Hope it helps

Is this a wind up? 😊 

Howard

I wouldn't be so quick to discount something out of hand until you've checked it or tried it.

It's a simple process anyway, if it worked for him, what's the harm in checking..

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SunDevil56 said:

I wouldn't be so quick to discount something out of hand until you've checked it or tried it.

It's a simple process anyway, if it worked for him, what's the harm in checking..

You never know it worked for me, I tried everything from reinstalling to deleting files and nothing worked. weird but it worked

Edited by Manny Ortiz

Cheers, Manny Ortiz

1 hour ago, Manny Ortiz said:

Meh!!!  Enable USB Selective Suspend???  Nothing kills immersion like the flight control system taking a dirt nap while on approach because Windows decides that it's time to power-down USB devices! :biggrin:  But, hey, whatever works for ya!

Greg

27 minutes ago, SunDevil56 said:

13 minutes ago, Manny Ortiz said:

You never know it worked for me, I tried everything from reinstalling to deleting files and nothing worked. weird but it worked

Sorry, my sense of humour 😉 I was meaning, I haven't got a clue!..... what does.... "USB selective suspend setting was tuned off and went up to 45 fps once I turned it back on"... mean? Can you explain, thanks.

Howard