Sign in to follow this  
Deltaair1212

LearJet 35A approach speed feel

Sorry I am late to the game, but I just picked up the Lear 35A on sale and it’s a really nifty aircraft. I’ve done about 5 flights so far and I can tell it’s one of those aircraft that treat you well if you treat her well. Anyways, with every flight I have done, I seem like I’m missing something when on approach/final. The aircraft flies like a hamburger. It feels as though one of my wing tips is about to bank over sending me into a spin. I have my approach speeds correct but idk... something doesn’t feel right. Unless this is how the aircraft really flies in the real world. In that case bravo to the devs for simulating such a complex handling aircraft but I just wanted confirmation that it’s not just me. I always check to make sure my spoilers are stowed btw...

28 minutes ago, Deltaair1212 said:

The aircraft flies like a hamburger.

Hi, welcome to the Forum.

I'm sorry, but I have no idea what the above means, so it is hard to comment. What are you using for comparison?

I think it is fair to say most here find the L35 flies pretty well, including a number of RW pilots. On final approach with gear down and flaps 40, what is your typical IAS, VS, and N1 setting? When do you reduce power to idle? Are you hand flying the approach, or using the AP until about minimums? There are a lot of experienced L35 users here to help, but it is hard to do so without more useful information.

Al

Edited by ark

what I mean is whenever my speed dips below 180, I have to trim the nose way up because it feels as though I’m about to stall when I know I still have a lot of airspeed left. My final approach speed is usually at 125 and whenever I get that slow the aircraft just acts really funky like it’s about to drop out of the sky. I even have the “Don’t sink” warning going off. My VS is usually 300-500fpm as well. So yeah I’m not sure if it’s because I have those massive tip tanks and that’s how the aircraft normally does, or if it’s because I’m not flying it right. I have read stories of how unforgiving the Lear 35 is in real life...

11 hours ago, Deltaair1212 said:

Sorry I am late to the game, but I just picked up the Lear 35A on sale and it’s a really nifty aircraft. I’ve done about 5 flights so far and I can tell it’s one of those aircraft that treat you well if you treat her well. Anyways, with every flight I have done, I seem like I’m missing something when on approach/final. The aircraft flies like a hamburger. It feels as though one of my wing tips is about to bank over sending me into a spin. I have my approach speeds correct but idk... something doesn’t feel right. Unless this is how the aircraft really flies in the real world. In that case bravo to the devs for simulating such a complex handling aircraft but I just wanted confirmation that it’s not just me. I always check to make sure my spoilers are stowed btw...

Is your fuel load evenly distributed port and starboard? Is your c/g correctly located?

Thanks for the responses guys. I’m pretty sure it’s just something I have to get used to. Previously I was flying the Carenado S550 which after Bert Pieke’s modifications was quite a fun bird. But the S550 was more forgiving as well lol. This Learjet is more of a pilots airplane and I’m just now realizing that. But I like the challenge. Flying the Citaiton, I really wasn’t being challenged at all. And while I’m here, can anyone tell me what time the clock displays in the cockpit? It’s not military time, so I’m thinking it’s Zulu but if I have the time correct in P3D it still doesn’t display the correct time even for Zulu. It should be -4 I believe from military time but it displays -8. If that makes sense....