Sign in to follow this  
killairbus

What Year were these options introduced?

Hi,

What Years were the following options introduced for the 400 PAX? 

LCD displays

Engine Autostart

Aux Hyd 1

Updated fuel system

Thanks 

-Angelo Busato

16 hours ago, killairbus said:

What Years were the following options introduced for the 400 PAX

Whenever the operator decided to put them in.

Kyle Rodgers

13 hours ago, scandinavian13 said:

Whenever the operator decided to put them in.

I meant when were they first offered by Boeing

-Angelo Busato

On 1/1/2019 at 3:41 AM, killairbus said:

LCD displays

It looks like this was introduced around the time the -400ER came around, so around 2002 or 2003. Couldn't find any information about the rest.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

I’d agree that LCD displays were introduced as standard production in early 2000’s. I don’t think it was an option. I don’t know the exact date, but I would guess 2001. The 747 operator I was working with at that time told me their new 744s would have LCD DUs. 

I’m fairly sure aux hyd 1 has always been available as an option. BA had it on their -200 aircraft and would certainly have specified it on their -400s. 

Autostart has always been available AFAIK.

I have no idea when the updated fuel system was introduced. I don’t think it was before 2004. 

ki9cAAb.jpg

2 hours ago, kevinh said:

Autostart has always been available AFAIK. 

The first 744's came out with PW engines which initially didn't have autostart. I recall that even our first RB211-powered aircraft didn't have autostart, but were later retrofitted.I guess within a few years of 747-400 production.

2 hours ago, kevinh said:

I have no idea when the updated fuel system was introduced. I don’t think it was before 2004. 

It depends on what aspect of the new fuel system in PMDG. Hydromechanical scavenge pumps? New message logic? Automatic pump shutoff with pump low fuel pressure? The last one was somewhere between 2009 and 2011 (I have wiring diagrams dated 2009 without the updated logic and diagrams with the updated logic dated 2011). Hydromechanical scavenge pumps have been around much longer.

Aux Hyd 1

At least since August 1989. Qantas' first -400 had the #1 Aux pump.

Edited by Qavion2
  • Upvote 1

John H Watson (retired 744/767 Avionics engineer)

On 1/1/2019 at 12:41 AM, killairbus said:

Hi,

What Years were the following options introduced for the 400 PAX? 

LCD displays

Engine Autostart

Aux Hyd 1

Updated fuel system

Thanks 

-Angelo Busato

LCD: Intruduced and subsequently standard on L/N (Line Number) 1313 and on. 

The first -400ER (VH-OEF) 

ISFD: Introduced and subsequently standard on L/N (Line Number) 1313 and on. The first -400ER (VH-OEF). Skipping L/N 1314, the last -400 without the ISFD. 

Autostart: Offered as a customer option from day one. First aircraft delivered to Lufthansa, D-ABVB. L/N 700. The first 747-400 L/N 696 was delivered to Northwest, however NW did not option Autostart.

AUX Hyd 1: Offered as a customer option from day one. First optioned by BA on G-BLNA. L/N 727.

Updated fuel system: IIRC sometime around 2002/3. Via EIU IDS software update for existing aircraft and subsequent production aircraft. All stemming from FAA AD 2002–24–52.

Edited by calzonister
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, calzonister said:

Autostart: Offered as a customer option from day one. First aircraft delivered to Lufthansa, D-ABVB. L/N 700. The first 747-400 L/N 696 was delivered to Northwest, however NW did not option Autostart. 

It was engine dependent. Northwest had PW engines. I don't think PW engines had an autostart option until a few years later. PW simply didn't have the technology on their engines.

I stand corrected on the message logic (I amended my earlier message), but there were wiring modifications carried out to pump power relays somewhere after 2009 (I don't know if PMDG models these).

John H Watson (retired 744/767 Avionics engineer)