Sign in to follow this  
pedrotrindade

AS DC-8 Cargo model released

Along the new update (2.0) we finally got the cargo model of this beautiful (and very well simulated) old bird. A great product IMHO.

Quote from AS forum

"HISTORY

Added cargo model and associated liveries: United, Fine Air, LAC, AIA.
    Added gsx.cfg files for passenger and cargo versions in the DC-8_50 folder. You must rename the files to switch to the cargo version.
    Updated paint kit for cargo version.
    Further improved tank selection initiation.
    Fixed reverser animation so they will not animate when engine not running.
    Connected takeoff warning to engine three throttles in addition to engine one.
    Corrected fuel pressure gauges so boost pumps don't create pressure from empty tanks.
    Fixed fuel flow gauges to not show fuel flow before valves turned on during start.
    Added pop-up for control of external air, external electrical power, and cargo doors. "Shift 5" to access.
    Updated loader pop-up to accommodate both passenger and cargo variants.
    Changed clocks from local time to GMT.
    Changed heading select coding to allow external nav apps to control aircraft heading.
    Fixed bug causing hydraulic problems when cold and dark flight saved.
    Corrected animation of PT probe heaters switch and associated text on overhead.

Now supported by Aerosoft Updater"

https://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/142142-aerosoft-dc-8-updated-to-version-2000/

I just bought it on sale. Very much looking forward to trying it out. Any tips or videos that might be recommended for newbies?

- Aaron

Hi Aaron,

good choice, this is an extremely rewarding airplane once you have mastered it. However, you need to be prepared to study it since it is a complex simulation of 1960s technology. I found the following video,

to be fairly accurately following the amplified checklist.

Peter

This plane is kicking my butt during climb. There is no IAS hold only "V/S" hold which really just manipulates the pitch trim. I'm finding if the plane is not perfectly trimmed you get wild oscillations that don't match the v/s wheel. I've engaged autopilot during climb and ended up in 4000 fpm dives. Having a hard time with this. I've flown the fslabs Concorde and it's similar to that only even less advanced.

Also trying to get my Saitek panels to work and it's not been easy. The fsuipc controls and display values seem to work. But some things are using a combination of LVARs and there's no explanation of them to be found. So I am using trial and error. Once I figure it all out I'll post the Spad.next profile.

Edited by JasonPC

Thanks Peter for the link, much appreciated. Also appreciate the share of the Spad.next profile Jason, that would help me as well.

- Aaron

I, too, have been having some difficulty mastering the autopilot. I am able to fly it so long as I am ready to tweak the trim wheel to prevent the occasional drops or climbs. It's definitely a plane that requires flying rather than plugging the numbers.

To be frank, I've struggled with this plane initially as well, it is not easy to fly. However, after a couple of flights I managed to get a grip. 

@Jason: I have never experienced these oscillations, and climbing works nicely if several points are considered:

- Most importantly, calculate ESP power rates using the performance tables provided in the documentation and set the ESP bugs accordingly. For instance, the plane may have a max power setting of 1.87 during start and 1.63 during climb and cruise. 

- When you start, set power to 1.87, accelerate to 230 Kts and set flaps to zero when you are above 210Kts or so.

- Adjust V/S so that you stay below 250 Kts. Reduce power to 1.63 (and reset the bugs, just as a reminder) and adjust V/S on the autopilot accordingly.

- Accelerate above 10,000' to 280 Kts. Monitor speed while you are climbing and adjust V/S so that the speed never drops below 250Kts, or better 270Kts. I typically climb at 2000'/min until about 20,000' and then reduce V/S gradually to 800'/min.

- I haven't flown the plane at a cruise level higher than 34,000' yet. The higher you fly, the more important it is to keep an eye on the weight. 

Peter

I think the problem I had was an issue with the calibration of flaps. Even though I had my lever at flaps up, the plane still had flaps at 10 degrees. This obviously was causing problems with the nose dropping. As far as setting EPR at climb, no problem there. I am using the values from the table (trying to make a spreadsheet with lookup functions) and they seem to be spot on, especially at cruise.

14 minutes ago, JasonPC said:

Even though I had my lever at flaps up, the plane still had flaps at 10 degrees. 

Interesting. I have the same problem, not just with the DC-8 but with other planes as well. I think my Saitek throttle quadrant is badly calibrated (I mapped the flaps lever to one of the three axes). However, I also mapped the flaps to one of the buttons and use that to make sure flaps are all up. Maybe I should try to actually resolve this problem rather than work around it 🙂

Peter

I have posted a SPAD.next profile. It's not perfect and it's somewhat catered to what I like, but it's definitely usable. I have seen some glitches with enabling/disabling autopilot, but for the most part it works. It's uploaded on the SPAD.next profiles list as Aerosoft DC-8 by JasonPC.

I also made a performance spreadsheet for quick EPR values, Stabilizer value, V speeds, and landing speeds. It's not perfect but it gets the job done. https://1drv.ms/x/s!ArV4Aynhk6Ck6A_JiWPrsMgM6Wg_

I should add that I am starting to get thing hang of this plane and it's tons of fun to fly.

Edited by JasonPC

The dev worked really hard to get the EPR climb/cruise values per the performance tables.  And I have to say, it flies by the numbers, pretty accurately.  The INS is really neat too, once you figure out how to use it, and re-calibrate it on long flights.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB