Sign in to follow this  

Canopy clipping in VR Prepar3D

I searched around a bit but I can't find a solution to this one. When flying the A2A spitfire or the Aerosoft Glider Discus X in Prepar3D V4.4 in VR with the Samsung Odyssey+, the canopy of the aircraft gets clipped when I look out to the wingtip. Big immersion killer! The canopy in both aircraft is quite tight. Anyone know the solutions to this problem?

Edited by Guest

You'll find that some aircraft were just never designed with VR in mind. Things that look perfectly fine in 2D, will suddenly jump out and say Boo in 3D, specifically flat textures that you never noticed on your monitor but stick out like a sore thumb in 3D.

Aerofly allows you to easily change the cockpit scale, and I believe that X-Plane allows you to do this as well, but the only way that I know to do it in p3d is via flyinside.

You could try adjusting your seat position.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

1 hour ago, HiFlyer said:

the only way that I know to do it in p3d is via flyinside.

Wait doesn't that mean there is a .cfg setting somewhere in P3D to control this?

You could try the following CFG setting. I don't remember if it works well in VR:

In the configuration file CAMERAS.CFG there is a setting Clipmode in the section for VC. Changing the default setings (=normal) to =minimum can solve this problem, but it causes flickering textures in some cases.

PC=9700K@5Ghz+RTX2070  VR=HP Reverb|   Software = Windows 10 | Flight SIms = P3D, CAP2, DCS World, IL-2,  Aerofly FS2

On 1/2/2019 at 10:46 PM, whitav8 said:

You could try the following CFG setting. I don't remember if it works well in VR:

In the configuration file CAMERAS.CFG there is a setting Clipmode in the section for VC. Changing the default setings (=normal) to =minimum can solve this problem, but it causes flickering textures in some cases.

Thanks, I'll give that a go.

Another thing I intend to try tomorrow is to turn on virtual cockpit was in the EZCA VC to see if that works. I'll give it a 50/50 chance.

A couple of days ago I got to spend some time in the Milviz F86 and I have to say it must be a close to flying the real thing as its possible to get. It also gave me a great sense of the size of the aircraft. The F86 appears to be much bigger than a spitfire and however bought Aircraft apparently have 11m wingspan.

I suspect the scaling of one of both aircraft is not optimized for VR since the F86 seems far bigger perhaps twice as big. But I don;t mind because there's no canopy clipping in the F86.

On 1/2/2019 at 10:46 PM, whitav8 said:

That definitely improved the situation. Also with adjusting the pilots eye's position in EZCA it is possible to eliminate the clipping in the Discus but it does require zooming in one notch on the mouse wheel and making the pilots just a bit to low in the VC. Couldn't live with that so it was a compromise between a slight low viewing position and some clipping in the periphery.

I haven't tried the spitfire yet but I am more optimistic that I can get ride of it completely in that aircraft.😁