Sign in to follow this  
killairbus

Am I too conservative?

21 hours ago, paulyg123 said:

word not allowed Tbarker and Mace, I don't get your references about me.  I think I need to use the Google to find out what you are trying to say!  No fuel for you.

Yikes!  Don't send the boys after me.

I'll pay, I promise.

You know we were paying you a compliment, saying you were a tough Italian.  You won't find that in Google Translate.  I'm not sure what word-not-allowed is, but I'll assume it was hugs n kisses.  No fuel for me indeed.  My T7 is stuck in old Napoli with no hope of getting out!

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

I was beginning to really doubt myself there. But the subsequent actions of others have reminded me there are still nice people on the Internet 🙂 (you know who you are, my thanks to you)

Glad it turns out I've been doing it right all along, the info was passed to me by a friend who flies and instructs on the 737NG so it would've been slightly worrying if they'd turned out to be wrong!

Edited by ckyliu

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

Mace the word not allowed was D_A_M_N.    I can't believe that was filtered out.  Anyway, back to the fuel topic.  What is the best utility to figure out the correct fuel.  I wasn't kidding when I said I guessed on the fuel.  I also like to do short flights (< 1 hour) with my PMDG 747 but I like to  take off very heavy to feel the weight.  Then when I level off, I reduce the fuel to 10%. 

Paul Gugliotta

@paulyg123 Simbrief is good and it's free. It generates a full OFP though which might be more than you want to sift through if you just want some fuel figures. 

If you just want to rough it you can use a rule of thumb that says X kg for the first hour and then X kg for subsequent hours. The X varies for each aircraft type. Obviously it does rely on you knowing an approximate flight duration. 

Edited by ckyliu

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 8:24 AM, ckyliu said:

Thank you forum police, you will note my full name is in my signature where it has been for the last 5+ years and 1000+ posts. Do you need to see the rest of my papers?

In  fairness  to  Dan  maybe  he  didn't  see  your  signature   since  some  signatures  you need  a magnifying  glass  to  see  them,   and  did  you need  to  say  to him his  a forum  police and  need  to see  rest  of  my  papers uncalled  for.  You would  have been  more better off being more  polite  in  your  response(Dan  my  signature  is there if you  would  take  a  closer  look)   and  you  might  have  gotten a  apology From  Dan

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

26 minutes ago, pete_auau said:

and  you  might  have  gotten a  apology From  Dan

Haha. ..highly doubt that.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Nyxx said:

I use PFPX and when in Euro use EURO ops and add 30 mins.

Works well.

I'd be careful with this. As far as I'm aware, the fuel rules you use would be based on where the airline itself is from. So if you're flying, say, a United flight, you'd want to be following the FAA fuel regulations, even when you're in Europe. Of course, if you're flying a European based carrier anyway, then this point is moot since you're in Europe already operating under European fuel regulations. It just wasn't clear based on your wording what exactly you were doing.

3 hours ago, paulyg123 said:

What is the best utility to figure out the correct fuel.  I wasn't kidding when I said I guessed on the fuel.

Two options I can think of off the top of my head. Simbrief being one and PFPX being the other. Simbrief is free, PFPX you have to pay for.

3 hours ago, paulyg123 said:

I also like to do short flights (< 1 hour) with my PMDG 747 but I like to  take off very heavy to feel the weight.  Then when I level off, I reduce the fuel to 10%. 

So do you go ahead and do a fuel dump or are you just going into the FMC and reducing the fuel load. I'm just curious.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

On 1/2/2019 at 6:03 PM, VHOJT said:

In addition, most fuel policies (EASA, CASA, FAA Domestic, ICAO) permit a plan to be filed without an alternate, with various restrictions as to when you need an alternate and when you don't.  In fact I think FAA Flag is the only major set of rules that specifically requires an alternate.

In Australia, for example, flights are not routinely planned with an alternate unless weather is below certain minima in relation the airport, crosswind limits, airport is isolated etc.  This applies to international flights as well, with certain variations for some countries.  Holding fuel for WX/published ATC delays is required, however.  For example, if you're destination was forecasting TEMPO thunderstorms, you would be required to carry either an alternate, or 60 minutes holding fuel, but not both.

A lot of other regulators allow alternates not to be planned under certain conditions, however, from what I can see, most airlines do anyway.

Cheers,
Rudy

I can’t recall flag rules offhand, but 121 supplemental always requires an alternate with the exception of operating a flight releases under island reserves. No complaints by me because on a nice day I get extra gas. And to the points made earlier about airline policy, my airline (FAA 121 Supplemental) gives the following guidance:

Fleet planned landing

-757: 9,000 lb

-767: 12,000 lb

Fleet minimum landing for both aircraft: 7,000 lb

The long and the short of it is that I can land below 9 or 12,000 lb but I better be evaluating my options. Below 7,000 and it’s paperwork and probably a carpet dance in the chief pilot’s office. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Captain Kevin said:

I'd be careful with this. As far as I'm aware, the fuel rules you use would be based on where the airline itself is from. So if you're flying, say, a United flight, you'd want to be following the FAA fuel regulations, even when you're in Europe. Of course, if you're flying a European based carrier anyway, then this point is moot since you're in Europe already operating under European fuel regulations. It just wasn't clear based on your wording what exactly you were doing.

I only fly European carriers in Europe. Kevin. Sorry, that was not clear.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

10 hours ago, pete_auau said:

In  fairness  to  Dan  maybe  he  didn't  see  your  signature   since  some  signatures  you need  a magnifying  glass  to  see  them,   and  did  you need  to  say  to him his  a forum  police and  need  to see  rest  of  my  papers uncalled  for.  You would  have been  more better off being more  polite  in  your  response(Dan  my  signature  is there if you  would  take  a  closer  look)   and  you  might  have  gotten a  apology From  Dan

Perhaps... but the dogmatic claim that Chris's suggestions were not just mistaken but "absolutely false" was neither polite nor in keeping with the usually respectful tone on this forum. That Dan was subsequently shown to be incorrect probably didn't help his mood. Throwing in an off topic comment regarding a forum etiquette breach to a regular poster on a thread where the moderator had been actively involved would have been neither constructive nor helpful at the best of times, but not bothering to take the three seconds or less required to check if Chris was actually in breach (I know his name is Chris because it says so in his signature block) pushed the post into the area of being rude and showed Dan making at least two significant mistakes in one short post. I am pretty sure that Dan is aware that he was out of line but I am not sure what you think Chris could have said that would have elicited an apology if one was not already forth coming. I personally thought Chris's reaction was not unreasonable and you must admit it was certainly politer then mine would have been.

Edited by Paul_Smith
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

@pete_auau Politeness is a two way street, I merely replied in the manner I was spoken to; I don't care for the way I was falsely accused of breaking rules by non-staff, and immediately afterwards knowledge I shared derided as "absolutely false". Dan's been here long enough to know how names appear in signatures and that with my post count any intentional absence would be unlikely, but he has not been here long enough for me to just roll over and accept being talked down to uncivilly.

I have not asked for an apology and let bygones be bygones. But whether one appears may reflect on someone's character in the eyes of others.

Edited by ckyliu
  • Like 1

support1.jpg

5 hours ago, swood721 said:

I can’t recall flag rules offhand, but 121 supplemental always requires an alternate with the exception of operating a flight releases under island reserves.

Trip fuel, 10% trip time,  holding fuel at destination,fuel to alternate (alternate required), holding fuel at alternate, and fuel to hold at 1,500 feet for 30 minutes, if I remember this all correctly. Domestic fuel requirements, on the other hand, only require an alternate if the weather is bad enough or if the flight time is more than six hours.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

Just now, ckyliu said:

@pete_auau Politeness is a two way street, I merely replied in the manner I was spoken to; I don't care for the way I was falsely accused of breaking rules by non-staff, and immediately afterwards my knowledge derided as "absolutely false". Dan's been here long enough to know how names appear in signatures and that with my post count any such absence would be unlikely, but he has not been here long enough for me to just roll over and accept being talked down to.

I have not asked for an apology, I let bygones be bygones. Others may make judgements based on whether one appears.

No  worries point  taken by  the  way  what is  your  name😀

• Like 2

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

10 hours ago, Captain Kevin said:

Two options I can think of off the top of my head. Simbrief being one and PFPX being the other. Simbrief is free, PFPX you have to pay for.

So do you go ahead and do a fuel dump or are you just going into the FMC and reducing the fuel load. I'm just curious.

No, I won't waste time dumping 100,000 lbs of fuel.  I just go the the FMC and change the fuel there.  Who has time for a 14 hour flight?  But these are the cool things I love.  Now I wish I could cool my brakes mid air.  If you roast your brakes on takeoff (after taxiing for a bit) for a short flight, you are stuck.  But that is a rare occurence.

Paul Gugliotta

1 hour ago, paulyg123 said:

Now I wish I could cool my brakes mid air.

Don't raise the gear. 🙂

Grace and Peace, 

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam