Sign in to follow this  
Gabe777

Why is Active Sky Such a Hit on Framerates ????? - SOLVED !!

EDIT - Now Solved - see bottom post

Unless I all but take off ALL Anti Aliasing, my FPS drops to 10 or 15 FPS from 200  (!!!) ..... when in or going towards cloud.

I have an i7 7700 and a 1080 GTX. No slouch.

Pan away from the cloud - 200 fps in the Twotter….. pan towards he cloud or in the VC - less than 25 fps.....

I have cloud textures at lowest possible size and only 3 layers.

This program is a joke, and you need to start from scratch.

Simply unusable..... I hate to think what it's like with all the settings jazzed up.

Immediate uninstall for me.

Edited by Gabe777

Works just fine here.  What are you using for cloud textures?

Greg

Have at it...

Edited by newtie
sp

Have you contacted AS tech support? You are in a minority, many have no problem with performance. It is one of the best selling add-ons and if there were issues as you portray, it wouldn't be.

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

I've got a very modest i7700 / GTX 1070 system and AS hardly makes a dent in my FPS. Might want to broaden your investigation a little before you delete. Just my 2c...

Brian

• Upvote 1

Brian MacMillan

Intel i7-7700@3.6GHz-16GB /GTX 1070-8GB/MSI B250M Bazooka  

I used to get very poor frame rates with active sky and Rex force. I have an I7-7700K with GTX1070 and over Europe with Overcast conditions my system will grind to a halt.

1. I noticed if i tun down texture filtering all the way down to 2X or Trilinear it help a bit.

2. maybe also linked to option 1 above was my cloud textures where usually at 4096 HD. so i now use 512 or 1024 and it seems to help alot.

3. i reset all the mods i made on Nvidia Inspector.

4. i recently turn HT off as suggested by another forum and my system runs very well.

The only thing am battling with is slow loading of autogen at the destination airport. but i dont get any more low FPS in overcast conditions near EHAM or anywhere else. my current settings are

fxaa=off

AA=4XSSAA

Texture filtering= 8x

texture res = ultra 4096 [ cloud resolution 512 or 1024 from rexSF]

cloud draw distance = 80

cloud layers on Active sky= 5

all locked and smooth at 30FPS.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Gabe777 said:

Unless I all but take off ALL Anti Aliasing, my FPS drops to 10 or 15 FPS from 200  (!!!) ..... when in or going towards cloud.

I have an i7 7700 and a 1080 GTX. No slouch.

Pan away from the cloud - 200 fps in the Twotter….. pan towards he cloud or in the VC - less than 25 fps.....

I have cloud textures at lowest possible size and only 3 layers.

This program is a joke, and you need to start from scratch.

Simply unusable..... I hate to think what it's like with all the settings jazzed up.

In the mechanical world we call this operator error.

• Like 1

Matt Wilson

Guys - I have minimum ASCA settings 256k / but if overcast conditions prevail, it is literally reducing my FPS to 20 to 25 from as high as 200.

Just sat in PMDG VC and getting 60 fps smooth - with cirrus and stratus layer x2. Add in Cumulous and load an overcast weather condition scenario, and drops to 20.

Even reducing AA to 2xMSAA makes little effect - about 10% better, tops.

Even the Twotter at 200 fps, drops to 20.

Don't get it.

Perfect if I don't use Cumulous or skies are quite clear. Beautiful skies at dawn and dusk, but using real weather is just a non starter.

2 minutes ago, mpw8679 said:

In the mechanical world we call this operator error.

Yes well, I'm guessing your one of the 23 fps people - Locked !!!

Whatevs.

1 minute ago, Gabe777 said:

Guys - I have minimum ASCA settings 256k / but if overcast conditions prevail, it is literally reducing my FPS to 20 to 25 from as high as 200.

Just sat in PMDG VC and getting 60 fps smooth - with cirrus and stratus layer x2. Add in Cumulous and load an overcast weather condition scenario, and drops to 20.

Even reducing AA to 2xMSAA makes little effect - about 10% better, tops.

Even the Twotter at 200 fps, drops to 20.

Don't get it.

Perfect if I don't use Cumulous or skies are quite clear. Beautiful skies at dawn and dusk, but using real weather is just a non starter.

What is your GPU usage % when u have the frame rate issues?

Matt Wilson

Just now, Gabe777 said:

Yes well, I'm guessing your one of the 23 fps people - Locked !!!

Whatevs.

30 FPS

Matt Wilson

I can also confirm no real issues with it on my end, And I have a SLOOOOWWWW computer.

Im as far as you can get to understanding any coding etc that goes into making these programs but have you tried an uninstall re-install perhaps?

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

I had issues similar to yours and my fix was to reduce the cloud draw distance in AS to about 90 miles for some reason it was set to 180 miles and when ever I got into heavy stuff it would slow to a crawl.  Josh

CPU: Intel i9-11900K @5.2 / RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200 / GPU: 4080 16GB /

12 minutes ago, Gabe777 said:

Even switching off AA completely is not affecting it.

Well maybe that's a sign of the problem being elsewhere? Obviously adding clouds and cloud layers is going to hit performance but it shouldn't be as bad as you describe. I run with REX cloud textures (conservative ones, so I think 1024 for the low-level clouds and 512 for the cirrus).  Oh yes, and I have the Soft Clouds textures for low-level clouds. I have a target of 40fps and my performance is generally okay, which broadly speaking means varying between 20 and 40fps according to the weather specifics. That's with a three-screen viewgroup display on a GTX1070, flying the Twin Otter with an out-the-window view only. And I didn't do anything special to get that.

I don't know how ASCA works, but i my setup I can save the situation and then load up the same weather without AS running. If you can do this and the performance is better it might suggest AS is doing a whole bunch of something else behind the scenes.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro