Sign in to follow this  
neil0311

34 or 35 inch ultrawide 1440p gsync monitor

I've been using a 1600x1200 Dell 24" IPS monitor for years and am now upgrading my system with an i9-9900K cpu and a RTX2080TI graphics card.  I've been looking at the ultrawide monitors but it's very hard to get a clear picture of what's important with refresh rates, gsync, IPS vs TN or VA, 1440p vs 4K.  

Anyone have an opinion or recommendation?  Am I going down the wrong track with a 34 or 35" ultrawide?

Rather than limit yourself to 1440p you really should consider UHD which your system can handle with ease.

You are certainly limiting your choice by wanting an ultra-wide large monitor. I could only find one LG model with an eye-watering price.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/lg-34wk95u-34-5120x2160-nano-ips-5k2k-hdr600-professional-widescreen-led-monitor-black-mo-14v-lg.html

However, if you stick to 16:9 format you still have a limited choice as few are larger than 32" This may be suitable.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/philips-bdm4350uc-43-3840x2160-ips-4k-60hz-widescreen-led-monitor-black-3yr-warranty-mo-02b-ph.html

IPS are the best quality and can be viewed from any angle without image drop off. But if you sit directly in front of it as most of us do then VA panels are fine.

My BenQ has a 30Hz option as well as 60Hz. That is important if you want to lock your fps to the refresh rate for extra smoothness. That's done by choosing VSync / triple buffering and unlimited performance in P3D.

With such a powerful CPU/GPU you should be looking at a UHD display which that combo will make shine.

Edited by Ray Proudfoot

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

4 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

With such a powerful CPU/GPU you should be looking at a UHD display which that combo will make shine.

Any particular UHD monitors you would recommend?

1 minute ago, neil0311 said:

Any particular UHD monitors you would recommend?

My own BenQ PD3200U is excellent but not cheap. It has an IPS panel. https://www.benqdirect.com/pd3200u.html?fee=29&fep=1230

Alternatively this VA panel also by BenQ might be worthy of consideration...

https://www.benqdirect.com/monitors/32-monitors/ew3270u.html

Have you a budget?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I was trying to stay below 1000 USD. So if I'm getting this correctly, you're saying that g-sync and higher frame rates are not even a consideration with P3D? 

I have previously only used the older versions of FS such as FS8, FS9, FSX and am building this new rig to move to P3D v4. My current system is from 2011 and runs FSX well locked at 30 fps, so have never made the move. 7 years is enough.  With FSX I use a 24" Dell IPS monitor running at 1900x1200. 

My son is 22 years old and is recommending 1440p monitors (he's a gamer but not a simmer), but I'm open to better options based on folks who are using it in practice. If using a 4K panel would be better, then I can look into it, but the cost is more and I didn't think I'd get good fps.

I've no personal experience of GSync but as I understand it it helps fluidity and smoothness when frame rates are quite low. That isn't going to be a problem with your CPU / GPU.

A 144Hz monitor is wasted on P3D as even the most powerful GPUs couldn't generate enough power for 144fps. Instead look for monitors with 60Hz and also 30Hz refresh rates. If you enable VSync and triple buffering in P3D v4 the frame rates are locked very close to the refresh rate. I find my system can deliver 25-40 on the ground and 60 when airborne. So I could choose 30Hz but 60Hz is fine.

P3D now utilises the power of the GPU far more than FSX ever did. Hence the need for a powerful 1080Ti or 2080Ti card. Those would be wasted on FSX.

If the monitor is only going to be used for P3D then you have the power for UHD. The extra detail those displays provide makes a huge difference and you'll get even better performance than I do. Look at 32" UHD monitors from BenQ, LG and AOC.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

3 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I've no personal experience of GSync but as I understand it it helps fluidity and smoothness when frame rates are quite low. That isn't going to be a problem with your CPU / GPU..

Thinking this may be up my alley

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Predator-XB321HK-bmiphz-Widescreen/dp/B01A3N60A2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1546527776&sr=8-1&keywords=32+inch+4K+gsync

15 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

If the monitor is only going to be used for P3D then you have the power for UHD.

Would probably setup FSX as well, and probably some older combat sims. Not a shooter guy.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 minute ago, neil0311 said:

Would probably setup FSX as well, and probably some older combat sims. Not a shooter guy.

FSX? Really? You'll run out of memory as 32-bit programs have a 4Gb memory limit. A high resolution isn't feasible. And downscaling to 1920*1080 will affect PQ quite a bit.

Edited by Ray Proudfoot

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 minute ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

FSX? Really? Once you see P3D you'll find it awful. Older sims are fine as regards performance.

LOL...I say that now, but once I get P3D v4 setup I may change my mind. I'm aiming primarily for P3D. I'm an instrumented rated pilot, so I use the sim not only for fun VFR stuff but also for practice approaches to familiarize myself as well.

If you fly older aircraft with gauges the definition is brilliant. Every sub-division is visible.

Going back to monitors if you have the space a lot of people have bought UHD TVs for the immersion factor smaller monitors don't give. But there is a trade-off. 3840 pixels on a 32" compared to 3840 on a 40" or larger will lessen the fine detail. I only mention it incase you hadn't considered a TV.

They are also much cheaper but you need chroma 4:4:4 for fine text in Windows Explorer etc. TVs with HDR tend to ship with chroma 4:4:4.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

3 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I only mention it incase you hadn't considered a TV.

Yeah, I had looked at some Samsung QLED and other 40" and even 50" screens. I think they're just too big for a use case like this where I'll be a couple of feet away at most. Big is good, but neck straining big where I can see every pixel may be a bit too big. I'm thinking 32" is the sweet spot, but I guess it's hard to tell without trying.  You have a 32", so does it seem to be "big enough" for you?

I will be flying mostly (if not exclusively) the A2A single engine props. I owned the PMDG 737 for FSX but honestly never really used it much due to the complexity factor. 

I had a 32" Sony HD TV for 5 years and was happy with the size. I briefly dabbled with a 40" Samsung TV but space was too tight. I am more than happy with 32" viewed from around 2-3ft. You're right about huge TVs and neck strain.

If you find the 737 complex then I suppose you won't be interested in Concorde? :biggrin: I'm waiting patiently for the 64-bit version to arrive.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather