Sign in to follow this  
neil0311

34 or 35 inch ultrawide 1440p gsync monitor

3 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

All tongue-in-cheek of course but it does show the immense power of my CPU and GPU. 

Ray, so at the risk of saying/asking the same thing again, I'm a little paralyzed making this decision because I have no way to compare or review before pulling the trigger on either. I would love the additional immersion of 4K but am concerned that I'll be back in the days when FSX first came out and everything ran at 19 fps, despite top of the line hardware. 

So I'm still unsure if the performance difference between QHD and UHD will be significant or not with my new setup. I don't want to have to sacrifice slider quality just to get useable frame rates.  Am I overthinking it?

Neil,

Do you intend to push all sliders to the right? If so, and depending on what area you fly in, what the weather is, how many Ai are present and the complexity of your 3rd party aircraft you might find fps drop into the 20s in a worst case scenario.

That is an extreme scenario because I don’t know what you plan to add to P3D. But if you’re sensible about not pushing all sliders to the right your proposed CPU / GPU is about as good as it gets. Why not buy the PC first and add the monitor later.

That would allow you to test with your existing monitor. Then deduct 15% and that’s what you should get with UHD. But in all honesty I do think you’re overthinking it. You’ll be fine.

Do you plan on overclocking the 9900K?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

9 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Do you plan on overclocking the 9900K?

Yes. Liquid cooling and hoping for 5Ghz on all cores.

30 minutes ago, neil0311 said:

Yes. Liquid cooling and hoping for 5Ghz on all cores.

Good, same as mine. There is a huge difference between how FSX and P3D v4.x works. FSX was 80% CPU and only 20% GPU. Hence the need for a powerful processor. But even then only 1 or 2 cores were utilised. The rest were unused.

But with P3D v4.4 all the cores are utilised and a much great greater % of the visuals are done by the GPU. So the chance of you getting 19fps is absolute zero.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

On 1/4/2019 at 7:07 AM, Ray Proudfoot said:

But I do stand by my comment that a 1080Ti or greater can run in UHD with sensible settings.

Certainly agree with that - in fact I have been running FSX/P3D at UHD with “sensible settings” using  a 980ti for a couple of years.  Before that it was a 770 (with FSX) IMHO the gpu requirements for 4K are greatly exaggerated.

Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

After much looking at reviews and comparing features and prices, I pulled the trigger on the Acer 32" 4ms IPS 4K monitor.  It's hard without being able to actually see the picture, but the combination of features and price made it the best option. 

Thanks for all of the help as I waffled.  

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Predator-XB321HK-bmiphz-Widescreen/dp/B01A3N60A2/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1546662559&sr=1-1&keywords=acer+predator+xb321hk

Edited by neil0311