Sign in to follow this  
paulyg123

Who Makes the Best Add-on airports?

There are so many choices for US airports scenery.

I have FlyTampa , FSDT,  Flightbeam and Drzewesky Seattle Airports.  I want to add Atlanta, Charlotte, Ohare and Las Vegas

I know KLAS will be out soon by FlyTampa., Charlotte is offered by FSDT and ImagineSim - I don't have any ImagineSim airports.  How do they rate?

I also see Drzew.... is doing Ohare and Chicago.  Is that the best choice for Ohare?

Is there a clear pecking order in terms of quality of these players?

Paul Gugliotta

To some extent it would depend on your criteria for 'best', as this could include a number of different priorities. Among these could be: Performance. Accuracy. Eye candy. Features. Customer service. Innovation. Compatibility. Price/Value. And so on. I would determine which of these criteria matter to you most, and filter that with any opinions you get.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Not certain about payware comparisons as few airports have been completed by more than one payware source.  The choice is more about which airports you are more interested in based on where you fly, and if they are priced satisfactorily for the quality they offer.  I, for one enthusiast, also compare freeware creations to payware creations to judge if the payware is worthy of the price.

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I am talking about Payware airports in the USA.   Detail and Quality is my criteria.  Who has the highest quality US major airports ? Any reviews on Imaginesim.  I don't have any of their airports.

Paul Gugliotta

1 hour ago, paulyg123 said:

I am talking about Payware airports in the USA.   Detail and Quality is my criteria.  Who has the highest quality US major airports ? Any reviews on Imaginesim.  I don't have any of their airports.

As has already been stated, Paul... much of the choice depends on where you like to fly.  I honestly don't care about the pro & cons with each vendor - their products are collectively better than the default airports they replace, so the immersion and enjoyment are enhanced,   I have 3 ImagineSim properties (KATL, KAUS, VIDP) and all are a pleasure to arrive at and depart from.  They have plenty of detail and the quality is acceptable.  If you like a particular destination, and vendor a,b,or c has a scenery, go for it.  You'll likely be glad you did.

Edited by dmiannay

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

If you want to fly somewhere there is no payware or maybe don't go to often enough to justify expense consider REX HD Airports which enhances all defaults.

Since PMDG QOTSIII I like to fly Atlas Air colors because of their variety of off the beaten path trips often from various military bases which I assume are personnel transport as well as cargo. Since these flights begin and end on cargo ramps I don't miss the payware textures as much.

• Upvote 1

Vic green

15 minutes ago, PATCO LCH said:

If you want to fly somewhere there is no payware or maybe don't go to often enough to justify expense consider REX HD Airports which enhances all defaults.

Since PMDG QOTSIII I like to fly Atlas Air colors because of their variety of off the beaten path trips often from various military bases which I assume are personnel transport as well as cargo. Since these flights begin and end on cargo ramps I don't miss the payware textures as much.

What a great idea, Vic. I also enjoy Atlas Air routes into out-of-the-way destinations, so look forward to seeing how those airports are improved with REX WWAHD.  Thanks for the tip!

• Like 1

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

3 hours ago, paulyg123 said:

Any reviews on Imaginesim. 

I have (4) Imaginesim airports and they are all good.  KATL, KCVG, KMCI, and KDEN.  Imaginesim burned a bridge with me several years ago when I purchased KATL and less than a month later they intro'd an update.  They refused at that time to provide any consideration for me to upgrade other than full price. My other three of their airports were I believe all purchased prior to that.  I have replaced KMCI with TropicalSim's version, and I have replaced KDEN with Flightbeam's version 2.0.  So KATL and KCVG are the only two I still use, and that because as far as I know Imaginesim is the only commercial offering for those two.

Many users complain about FS Dreamteam's use of coutil in Addon Manager.  I have three or four of their products and too often need to replenish those settings.

SunSkyJet provides a KPHL (Philadelphia) airport as freeware/donate ware that rivals any of my commercial payware airports.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

4 minutes ago, fppilot said:

So KATL and KCVG are the only two I still use, and that because as far as I know Imaginesim is the only commercial offering for those two.

For what it is worth, and this isn't a plug, FlyTampa is coming out with KATL in the not-too-distant future.

Doug Miannay

FlyTampa says KLAS is coming "real soon"  but what is "real soon "  Just like the 747 upgrade due by New Years.  - where is that?  

Anyway, I just wanted a pecking order of who makes the best airports in the US - ragardless of where it is.

My rating is:

FlyTampa A+

Drzewesky Design  A+

Flightbeam A

FSDT A-    But as someone said, use of coutil in Addon Manager. causes me nightmares.  One wrong move and you can wipe out all your scenery.

Paul Gugliotta