Sign in to follow this  
rafikihd

Changing Monitor

Hello Guys,

Happy New Year,

Well I’ve been thinking lately on changing my monitor but honestly I’m no expert when it comes to monitors, and refresh rate and G-Sync, V-Sync, FreeSync etc. So I thought I better ask the experts.

So Im currently using a Samsung T24D310NH a 24 inch Monitor with a1366x768 Resolution at 60Hz and a response time of 8ms.

And I found this new monitor a Samsung CJG50 a 27 Inch Monitor with a 2560x1440 Reoslution at 144hz and a response time of 4ms.

Now somewhere in the forums I’ve been reading both good and bad experiences.

What your recomendation would be if Im looking for a more immersive experience with P3D as well as performance improvement?

Thank you so much!

Best Regards!

Edited by rafikihd

SIM: P3DV5.3 CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.0GHz GPU: GTX1060 6GB  OS: Windows 10 64Bits RAM: XPG DDR3 1600 16GB (2x 8GB) Display: Samsung LC27JG50QQLXZX 27´

20 minutes ago, rafikihd said:

So Im currently using a Samsung T24D310NH a 24 inch Monitor with a1366x768 Resolution at 60Hz and a response time of 8ms.

And I found this new monitor a Samsung CJG50 a 27 Inch Monitor with a 2560x1440 Reoslution at 144hz and a response time of 3ms.

Now somewhere in the forums I’ve been reading both good and bad experiences.

What your recomendation would be if Im looking for a more immersive experience with P3D as well as performance improvement?

Thank you so much!

Best Regards!

Seems like a pretty good monitor for the money, WQHD resolution, high refresh rate, and excellent response time. I don't recall seeing anything really bad written about it....

Personally i'm not crazy about the curved screen, but that's more a matter of personal preference than anything else, and at least it retains a 16:9 aspect ratio versus the 21:9 ratio you see on many of the curved screen monitors.

the huge jump in resolution should provide a far more immersive experience on its own. but whereas previously I doubt your GPU was stressed at all; the new monitor could easily overwhelm the ability of a 1060 so you _might_ need to reduce some settings accordingly.
I have a curved monitor and never thought much of the tech until the monitor I wanted was only available curved - so I bought one. it didn't take long before I no longer noticed the curve. as to the benefits vs. flat... I can't really say... if you're overly conscious of things like light bleed then flat are likely to be superior. I don't worry about such things; when the sim is running it all looks great to me.

a GPU upgrade is in the cards though.
a 1080 will get you high settings in P3D and medium res textures in environmental add-ons.
a 2080 will get you highest settings in P3d but doesn't have the VRAM for all 4096 textures and...
a 2080ti should sweep the board (best).

Edited by jpf

9 minutes ago, jpf said:

the huge jump in resolution should provide a far more immersive experience on its own. but whereas previously I doubt your GPU was stressed at all; the new monitor could easily overwhelm the ability of a 1060 so you _might_ need to reduce some settings accordingly.
I have a curved monitor and never thought much of the tech until the monitor I wanted was only available curved - so I bought one. it didn't take long before I no longer noticed the curve. as to the benefits vs. flat... I can't really say... if you're overly conscious of things like light bleed then flat are likely to be superior. I don't worry about such things; when the sim is running it all looks great to me.

a 1080 will get you high settings in P3D and medium res textures in environmental add-ons.
a 2080 will get you highest settings in P3d but doesn't have the VRAM for all 4096 textures and...

Just wanted to add a 1080ti is still a very good choice.  If u can find one for a good price.  Similar performance to a 2080 but with more VRAM.

Matt Wilson

Oh, for your card, 4k not too good, but, maybe you will luck out .

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

Hi Guys,

Thank you all for your answers.

3 hours ago, jpf said:

Interesing info what you share here Jpf, would it stress my card as much as to burn it or something like that?

Honestly, due to price, I have no plans on changing my GPU (Yet). So what would your recommendation be, should I buy the Monitor?

SIM: P3DV5.3 CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.0GHz GPU: GTX1060 6GB  OS: Windows 10 64Bits RAM: XPG DDR3 1600 16GB (2x 8GB) Display: Samsung LC27JG50QQLXZX 27´

6 hours ago, rafikihd said:

I'm talking for me personally, before going to 144hz or 4K and because I have a dual computer setup, and that everything has a price to it.  I went for the wide first, a Dell U3417W 3440x1440 60Hz (HDMI/DP) in the middle and 2xDell U2412M (DVI-D) on left and right connected to two computers.

The biggest reason is that the Dell U34 has it's own built in KVM switch and I just use it to switch the monitor between Computer1/2 not the keyboard/mouse since I use Mouse without borders which is perfect for this setup.

So computer number 1 has the Dell U24 which is fixed on the left and the U34 in the middle and Computer Number 2 has the U34 in the middle and the other Dell U24 on the right.

Ryzen 5 5600X - Noctua U12A, 32Gb Vengence, Sapphire Pulse 5700xt, WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD

32 minutes ago, rafikihd said:

would it stress my card as much as to burn it or something like that?

no... nothing like that. I think it's quite possible to find a happy medium with your PC. you will be able to turn off FXAA in P3D settings with the monitor you're thinking about which will offset but in no way compensate completely for the demands the higher resolution places on CPU/GPU. but it is a step in the right direction and a huge improvement on your PC experience as long as your eyesight is good. (my old eyes find 1440 a bit of a strain).

Edited by jpf

3 hours ago, jpf said:

no... nothing like that. I think it's quite possible to find a happy medium with your PC. you will be able to turn off FXAA in P3D settings with the monitor you're thinking about which will offset but in no way compensate completely for the demands the higher resolution places on CPU/GPU. but it is a step in the right direction and a huge improvement on your PC experience as long as your eyesight is good. (my old eyes find 1440 a bit of a strain).

Great news! I could try, I`m digging this deep because I want the investment to be worth it.

3 hours ago, Buffy Foster said:

I have a 980Ti working just fine with my 2560x1440 Dell S2716DG monitor.  🙂

Hi Buffy,

Thanks for the info, I`ll keep digging and lets see what happens.