Sign in to follow this  
kevinfirth

Maybe I was the only one to miss this?

That is some great news! I hope more developers will follow suit. 

Is it done yet? When will it be released? Will it be freeware or payware? How much will it cost? Any updates on the progress? Will it work for Xbox? Can I be a beta tester? How's the performance in VR?

This is something that I've basically done already.  My Orbx hasn't been in my P3Dv4 folder for quite some time.  I have it on a completely different drive.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, signmanbob said:

This is something that I've basically done already.  My Orbx hasn't been in my P3Dv4 folder for quite some time.  I have it on a completely different drive.

I assume you are symlinking...but Orbx puts files every else in the sim - including the Scenery/world directories....pretty much owns the sim.  I have always wanted all third - every single file outside the sim.  So when updates to the sim come, sim gets updated and doesn't break sceneries.  I am quite a pro with symlink and Lorby's tool immensely helps.  

Finally Orbx is moving to the new method; they do have giant library of addons.

• Like 1

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

I’d love to join the discussion on this however someone “helpfully” removed the link in the OPs initial post so I’ve absolutely no idea where to go to read more about what this topic is supposed to be discussing… 🙄

Wills

14 hours ago, SunDevil56 said:

Thanks.

Sounds simple enough..😎

I recently did a clean reinstall of v4.4 and ORBX (FTX, Vectors, All available landclass, All North American regions, All European Regions, Australia and NZ plus all the many airports for all the previously mentioned regions. Easy? Well yes FTX Central managed all downloads but it took a hell of a long time to get it all installed. Ideally perhaps Orbx ought to create ready made editable xmls  so that we can transfer all the files out of the sim without having to re-download everything.

regards

8 hours ago, Skywolf said:

I assume you are symlinking...but Orbx puts files every else in the sim - including the Scenery/world directories....pretty much owns the sim.  I have always wanted all third - every single file outside the sim.  So when updates to the sim come, sim gets updated and doesn't break sceneries.  I am quite a pro with symlink and Lorby's tool immensely helps.  

Finally Orbx is moving to the new method; they do have giant library of addons.

And so modest as well......

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bigt said:

And so modest as well......

Lol...ya.....I should have put some emojis in the thread.  It is hard to interject emotions into the thread....have a great day

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

Can someone pm me the link to the orbx thread ? I cant see any threads related to an announcement regarding the move to addon.xml ? This is a very welcome announcement, and the only remaining scenery that is still in the root P3D folder.

Silly question but that's never stopped me before...what exactly is the advantage to installing addons outside the sim using xml? Does this affect performance? Thanks!

Brian

Brian MacMillan

Intel i7-7700@3.6GHz-16GB /GTX 1070-8GB/MSI B250M Bazooka  

2 hours ago, ninerwhiskey9W said:

Can someone pm me the link to the orbx thread ? I cant see any threads related to an announcement regarding the move to addon.xml ? This is a very welcome announcement, and the only remaining scenery that is still in the root P3D folder.

I'd appreciate this link too. Thanks,  Robert

2 hours ago, Starlifter60 said:

Silly question but that's never stopped me before...what exactly is the advantage to installing addons outside the sim using xml? Does this affect performance? Thanks!

Brian

1) Reduces the chance of breaking an add-on every time you update P3D.  2) Keeps your sim install nice and tidy.  You will want it that way if you ever troubleshoot an add-on.  If you never do that, you must not fly P3D  :)     As for performance, short answer is my opinion of "no, it will not impact performance" given today's era of SSD's and fast cpu's and file ops -- the sim is already pegging files all across its own folder structure anyway. 

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

If it takes a reinstall, as I assume it would for existing installations, I'll wait until I really need to do that for some other pressing reason. A reinstall so that you can configure it so you don't have to reinstall seems like a poor reason to do it without another motivation.

- Aaron

I was thinking yesterday how Orbx did a grand Twitch presentation of their 2019 product roadmap and no mention whatsoever of updating Orbx Central to handle xml installs. Today we get the news that handling xml is coming.

It can't arrive too soon as I'm sick of the symlink juggling needed to fool Central into think it has complete control of the P3D folder.