Sign in to follow this  
neil0311

Best terrain mesh for P3D

As long as you place the TOSIM entries below the ORBX stuff, you won't have any problems.

ORBX Regions bring their own mesh AFAIK. But the LCs don't.

Santiago de Larminat

@spilok Yes, you would benefit greatly from mesh except in full Orbx regions which already include mesh (Global, LC, Vector etc do not have any mesh included).

You don't need to spend any money, FreeMeshX has global coverage and is completely free. From that starting point you may wish to purchase extremely detailed mesh for mountainous areas you often frequent, but for most users FreeMeshX is fine at LOD10-38m resolution in most of the world, with an optional upgrade to LOD12-10m in USA.

Here's some screenshots that show the difference going from FreeMeshX at LOD10-38m up to something higher in a mountainous area:
https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/547654-interested-in-the-difference-3rd-party-mesh-makes-to-p3d/?page=2&tab=comments#comment-3950220

For comparison default mesh is 38m in USA, 76m in most of Europe and then anything down to LOD7-306m in the Northern hemisphere with some remoter areas in the Southern hemisphere being as poor as LOD6-612m. Technically you can make mesh down to 1m resolution but the simulator wouldn't draw that until you got very close it would generally be pointless except immediately around or within an airport (and as we know, airports have to be flat in P3D). Do remember that mesh is dependent on the quality of the source data too, so for FreemeshX they use 30m SRTM3

Edited by ckyliu

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

IMHO the Toposim mesh is better than the ORBX in the regions. Freemesh comes in third.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Hi Vic,

So am I right in thinking you place the Toposim Mesh above the default ''Base'' scenery, but below Orbx Base and LC regions.

MSFS2020 ,P3D V5, Ryzen 3600 4.2GHZ, 32GB 3000 Ram, Nvidia GTX 1600 Super 6GB, 22 inch 75 hz Monitor , Windows 10 204, Toposim,   Orbx Global, Vector, Europe  N & S California LC, England Regions,  England, PMDG 737, 777, Majestic Q400 and Aerosoft Airbus A318-20.

I have mine above ORBX because I prefer the Toposim mesh. If you want the ORBX mesh, put the entries below the regions. You'll get ORBX wher they have coverage and Toposim elsewhere.

Vic

• Upvote 1

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Downloaded Toposim.  Seems there are 7 folders in the North America download.  Each one, however, looks identical with (1) Toposim folder (2) Continents folder (3)North America folder (4)Scenery folder, and then different BGLs in each.

Little confused after reading docs as to how to install in P3d.

Do I create one North America Folder, let's say in my Addon scenery folder,  and put all the BGLs in the Scenery folder, and then load into Scenery Library?  Would like a step by step on this so I do it right.  If you can help, I would appreciate.

Stan

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, spilok said:

Do I create one North America Folder, let's say in my Addon scenery folder,  and put all the BGLs in the Scenery folder, and then load into Scenery Library?  Would like a step by step on this so I do it right.  If you can help, I would appreciate.

Stan

Did you get just North America or other regions/continents...??

Just North America this time.  Includes 7 downloads from the East coast to the West coast. 

57 minutes ago, spilok said:

Just North America this time.  Includes 7 downloads from the East coast to the West coast. 

OK Stan, then my suggestion would be to make a "Toposim North America" folder, put it wherever you want, ie. add on scenery folder if that's what you prefer, I personally just made a "Toposim North America" folder in the main P3D scenery folder, and then a "scenery" sub-folder under that, and put all the Toposim North America BGL's in that folder, then activate it in the P3D scenery library in the usual manner.... 

Hope this helps... 🙂

Edited by SunDevil56
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

If you use Lorby's P4AO you can create an addon.xml file and place the layer where you want.

Vic

Sun Devil,

Your suggestion worked perfectly.  Added North America to my Addon Scenery folder and installed it into the Scenery Library.   Just flew a short flight from KLAX to KLAS and the mountains I saw were beautiful, and certainly not there before. Absolutely stunning seeing the peaks above the clouds.  Looking forward to some other adventures tomorrow.

I will probably get Toposim for parts of Europe that I fly frequently.

Thanks for your help.

Stan

• Upvote 1

Has Toposim  been changed since the Fsgenesis days, I have a large amount of Fsgenesis which I am not using, been using the free mesh which looks fine to me but just wondering if the Fsgenesis will work with P3dv 4

Peter

Downloaded Toposom Europe Region and was blown away.

Also didnt get the BOGOF offer, submitted a support query on their forum and Justin already responded and is going to add the free scenery to my account.

Great product and with support like that you cannot go wrong.

I found extracting the 4 areas into a folder and adding the scenery using Lorby's Addon Manager, moved the scenery to above Orlando  and added to my Europe group worked perfectly with Orbx LC etc.

Looking forward to adding the USA region ASAP.

MSFS2020 ,P3D V5, Ryzen 3600 4.2GHZ, 32GB 3000 Ram, Nvidia GTX 1600 Super 6GB, 22 inch 75 hz Monitor , Windows 10 204, Toposim,   Orbx Global, Vector, Europe  N & S California LC, England Regions,  England, PMDG 737, 777, Majestic Q400 and Aerosoft Airbus A318-20.

11 hours ago, spilok said:

Sun Devil,

Your suggestion worked perfectly.  Added North America to my Addon Scenery folder and installed it into the Scenery Library.   Just flew a short flight from KLAX to KLAS and the mountains I saw were beautiful, and certainly not there before. Absolutely stunning seeing the peaks above the clouds.  Looking forward to some other adventures tomorrow.

I will probably get Toposim for parts of Europe that I fly frequently.

Thanks for your help.

Stan

No worries Stan, glad I could help..🙂

By all means, get the Europe package as well, the alps are beautiful in P3D with Toposim installed, you won't be disappointed.