Sign in to follow this  
FPStewy

ATC gives vectors to ILS

Ok this is probably my last (understanding) before buying.

Was the "ATC gives vectors to ILS" setting removed from Config-FltPlan or moved, is there a way to enable it ?

The reason I'm asking is because let's say I want to do a total dark cockpit flight without GPS or P2A screen. For example if I don't engage the GPS or don't look at the map can/will P2A Vector me all the way to the final active runway ?

or must we always do a <callsign> inbound at <current altitude> request radar vectors for <approach type> to runway <rwy>  from approach control.

Dave said in a previous post "If you don't check "ATC Gives Vectors to IF", then you would have to request vectors from approach control.  Otherwise, it is assumed you will only need clearance to the fix and you will navigate there yourself."

Which is fine but what if we want vectored approaches to be the default, is this still possible.

Ryzen 5 5600X - Noctua U12A, 32Gb Vengence, Sapphire Pulse 5700xt, WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD

I don't quite understand the question.  I assume you have filed an IFR plan and setup the sid/star/app as desired or left autoplan do it for you.

I have never seen the option you mention and I just looked. I always get vectors for the ils approach if the plan indicates this will be required (my quess).  I find this doesn't happen for approaches with a transition approach in place.  In general it doesn't matter where I go I get vectors so I guess it is just built in now.

Dave is probably the better person to answer but he is very ill at the moment and he is the author, support and wizard.

Sometimes things can trigger a bug and this can be by airport.

It will help others to help if you post the departure icao, route with sid/star, arrival icao and others might have a look see.

To be sure.  If it is a bug then Dave will fix it and if not he will explain.

We all hope he is recovering and will be back soon.

On 1/6/2019 at 3:16 PM, JeB1952 said:

I have never seen the option you mention and I just looked. I always get vectors for the ils approach if the plan indicates this will be required (my quess).  I find this doesn't happen for approaches with a transition approach in place.  In general it doesn't matter where I go I get vectors so I guess it is just built in now.

interesting,

I'll have to test more. I've just been putting in approaches and don't get any vectoring at all since it "assumes" that I will vector myself into the approach. If you look at Dave's posting here it seem that it was an option at one time in the FltPln config. What I'm thinking is that it's now the default that if you have an approach with transition that you will only get vectors if you request it.

Ryzen 5 5600X - Noctua U12A, 32Gb Vengence, Sapphire Pulse 5700xt, WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD

I always use autoplan and get flying.  Not being a real pilot this is much easier for me. Are you selecting vectors to in the transition for APPR that I have seen?  Kind of implies telling p2a to do something.

On 1/9/2019 at 6:26 AM, FPStewy said:

interesting,

I'll have to test more. I've just been putting in approaches and don't get any vectoring at all since it "assumes" that I will vector myself into the approach. If you look at Dave's posting here it seem that it was an option at one time in the FltPln config. What I'm thinking is that it's now the default that if you have an approach with transition that you will only get vectors if you request it.

Stewie - did you ever get an answer to this?   I've seen similar behavior on approaches.    Let me know.  Thanks

Vectors will be given when called for in the Approach Transition or if the final intercept angle is too aggressive.  Otherwise, when given clearance for the approach, the pilot is expected to intercept and fly the approach.

Dave

On 2/16/2019 at 9:19 AM, Dave-Pilot2ATC said:

Vectors will be given when called for in the Approach Transition or if the final intercept angle is too aggressive.  Otherwise, when given clearance for the approach, the pilot is expected to intercept and fly the approach.

Dave

Hi Dave, I have a somewhat related question. I just completed an IFR flight to KMSP (Minneapolis). My initial flight plan called for an RNAV approach to RWY 04 on arrival to KMSP. However enroute wind and visibility conditions changed such that an ILS approach to RWY 12R was the better choice. After being handed off from Center to KMSP Approach, I issued a request for radar vectors to the ILS approach for RWY 12R. I received no response from P2A, and it continued to direct me on the RNAV approach to RWY 04. I issued the same request several times with no luck.

This may be a consequence of my ATC config. I think maybe most relevantly, under Flt Plan/ATC Options I have the following checked:
Force Pilot Runway Selection
Match SIM Runway if Known (this works great for matching what XP has marked as the active departure runway)

I am still on XP10, and near as I can tell there is really no way to confirm in the sim which runway(s) XP has designated as active (other than listening to an ATIS report). So perhaps in the case described above XP was insisting on RWY 04 and P2A would not allow a pilot override under these circumstances. Or???
(notice that I am not talking about configuring preferred runways).

Perhaps you could just outline the best procedure for forcing a pilot-requested change to an alternate destination runway. It would even be kinda' nice to have the ability to issue such request prior to the approach transition phase; while perhaps not common practice, this would reduce tension/work load during the approach. Better yet, I think it would be helpful to have something like a "Force Active Runway" box somewhere on the main panel that allows the user/pilot to simply type in a valid runway number, hit "Apply," and P2A would thereafter just treat this runway as the active destination runway (unless of course a different value is subsequently entered). Ideally, one could do the same for the departure runway (i.e., without having to wait to change runways until issuing a taxi request -- this, in my view, is a bit awkward). 

Again general speaking, I find entering values in the middle panel of the "Say It" dialogue to be a bit clunky. As I understand, one must first click on a request (one that requires entering a value), enter a relevant value, then hit "Enter," and then press "Say It" (notice that I do not use PTT). I also notice that when a request which requires entering a value -- say for a runway -- the value box is auto-populated with the current active runway. So this requires first deleting that value, or highlighting and then over-typing the desired value. It would be helpful, in my view, to just leave the values box for such requests empty (unpopulated) -- that's why I am issuing the request -- to specify a different value. Anyway, just a friendly suggestion...

Hope that was all clear enough, and thanks in advance for your help,
Otto

Edited by Otto Pylott

If you can send me the log file for the flight with the runway change and ILS request, I'll have a look to see what happened.  Please send to admin@pilot2atc.com.

Log files are located in: 
C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Roaming\P2A_200\Logs 
where <UserName> is your PC user name. Portions of the path may be hidden by default, so be sure Windows Explorer has Show Hidden Items checked in the View tab.
A new one is created each time you start Pilot2ATC, so if you take the most recent one when you have the error, you should have the correct one.  

If you have Force Pilot Runway Selection checked, then requesting vectors to the ILS approach for a different runway should have had ATC give you vectors to the requested approach.  Otherwise, ATC will not honor such requests if they are for a runway different from the assigned runway.

Thanks,

Dave

Edited by Dave-Pilot2ATC
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Dave-Pilot2ATC said:

If you can send me the log file for the flight with the runway change and ILS request, I'll have a look to see what happened.  Please send to admin@pilot2atc.com.

Log files are located in: 
C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Roaming\P2A_200\Logs 
where <UserName> is your PC user name. Portions of the path may be hidden by default, so be sure Windows Explorer has Show Hidden Items checked in the View tab.
A new one is created each time you start Pilot2ATC, so if you take the most recent one when you have the error, you should have the correct one.  

If you have Force Pilot Runway Selection checked, then requesting vectors to the ILS approach for a different runway should have had ATC give you vectors to the requested approach.  Otherwise, ATC will not honor such requests if they are for a runway different from the assigned runway.

Thanks,

Dave

Thanks Dave. Log file is on its way...

I'm not having any issues but just wondered when and why P2ATC opts to vector rather than follow the full star?  I've noticed my last 3 or 4 flights have done this and it works brilliantly, but I was just wondering why it sometimes vectors and sometimes doesn't.   I'm just interested really!  I usually have atc options set to ATC assigns sids, stars and approaches by the way.

Generally, you will get vectors when the course from your route, or the end of  the STAR if you have a STAR, is too steep for a good intercept.  There are also some STARs where the last waypoint is of type "Manual Termination", in which case you will get vectors.

Dave