Sign in to follow this  
jlm06

Incorrect VFR pattern direction

Hi,

I love P2A. It is a wonderfull software !

But in VFR for some airport runways, the pattern direction (right hand / left hand) is not correct regarding the VAC of SIA in France.

I can see the "pattern direction" in the Info Panel but is possible to modify it ? Is it coming from the scenery (Air flows) or from navadata ? 

Thank you very much,

If you would provide the flight plan here then maybe others can answer your query.  Just go with the flow I guess. LOL

For example: LFMD RW35 should be accessed with right pattern direction. In P2A it is left direction.

I modified the flow in the scenary with wed to specify the right pattern direction without succes.

I am not a pilot but I think that all this information comes from the navigation airac in my case navigraph.  I am not a chart reader but it does look like a right pattern is used.

When I look in p2atc APPR for rw35 I see two possibilities right and left.  I doubt that p2atc imagined this.  If you don't care for p2atc choice which is another of p2atc features to enable you to make it yours, then in the Config FLT PLN you can

disable ATC Assigns "whichever you wish to perform yourself."  

and

enable Force Pilot runway selection.

Now you can make your route exactly as you would like to see it.

Thank you for the answer !

When you go to the panel "info" in pilot2atc, do you see "right" as value for "pattern direction" for the RW35 ?

First I will remind you that this configuration information can be found in the manual.

With P2ATC started and LFMD waypoint added twice to make it a valid plan.  LFMD to LFMD

To see the possible approaches click the button labelled APPR.  In the map displayed you will see two approaches with rw35 possible.

To control what you would like to do involves changes to the flight plan options of p2atc which will force it to do your bidding.

Click the Config button on the right and then the FLT PLN tab.

There are many options here to configure how p2atc behaves during filing and autoplan.

You may disabled ATC Assign's SID and/or STAR and/or Approaches.   This allows you to choose and load your procedures and p2atc will not touch.

The other option that is useful is when you would like to use a different runway and that is Enable Force Pilot Runway selection.  This will remove p2atc changing the arrival due to changing wind conditions during the flight.

There are many options here that to me are fairly obvious and clarified in the manual.  Did I say that again. lol

I hope this clarifies it better for you. 

Happy flying.

You are right, the user manuel is very good and I do not count the times I read it since I use P2A. It s very useful.

You may have the feeling that I ask an easy question when it is well describe in the manual and it is obvious. You are maybe right and if it is the case I am sorry for that. But be sure I really tried to find the answer by my own (manual, forum). I even tried to modify scenary with wed adding flow and pattern direction.

I fly LFML -> LFMD. When I arrive for an entry in the pattern, the controller propose to enter downwind left hand. And I was asking if he could propose the right hand. I saw in Info panel the left pattern direction. I guess that it is information used by P2A controller and I wanted to understand his origin. Nothing important or blocking.

I agree that I can make my own FP approch and force it but it is not really my question.

Thank you and again sorry if my question is meaningless. I am not a pilot, just an enthusiast that try to undestand.

15 hours ago, jlm06 said:

I forgot: in the tab "runways and gates"

I may have misinterpreted this statement and was trying to provide more information to maybe enable you to make p2atc do what you desire.  Nothing else implied other than to possibly help you.  It can also be a bug.

I do not fly VFR so I am not familiar with the terms or procedures.   Maybe someone with VFR experience can answer.

Sounds like this one may be a bug.

No idea ? If I knew the origin of this value, I guess I could find a solution.

Unfortunately, the AIRAC data does not include Pattern Direction, so P2A must make a guess as to what it might be.

I have added an item to future enhancements to allow the user to control this value in Taxi Mnt.  

Sorry for not answering earlier....still recovering.

Dave

Hi Dave, Hi jlm06,
great ... I just searched for an option to give P2A a hint for VFR pattern direction, too.
For instance, the Jeppesen VFR Manual for EDGS (Siegerland) is showing a left hand pattern for RWY 31 and a rigt hand pattern for RWY 13. Thus, e.g. doing some pattern work, I am restricted to RWY 31 because P2A doesn't have VFR pattern direction info and always takes LH ...
Taxi Mnt PatternDirection would be a very useful enhancement, but it's only fully applicable when LH/RH can be set for each RWY direction individually.
Henrik

Hi HBE,

Yes, I fully agree with you: It should be a direction by Runway.

I am happy to see I was not the only one on that point ! 🙂