Sign in to follow this  
PopsBellNC

You May Not Realize You Do NOT Have v4.4 Installed...

Greetings All,

As many of you i am sure, I jumped on the 747 update as soon as i saw it was available. Download and install went great...but upon loading, I had blank screens and no landing gear(!).

Turns out I *thought* I had upgraded to P3Dv4.4 months ago, but it didn't 'take'. I still had v4.3.29.

Chris at PMDG walked me through it and provided this very helpful info:

"The proper way is to uninstall P3Dv4.3 client and install P3Dv4.4 client. If you try install on top it will not update. Check below forum post in LM forum.

I am up and running as we speak and all is well!
Bottom-line - before you update, when in P3D go to  Menus, Help, then About, to see if you really have updated to v4.4.

Thank you to Chris and PMDG!
Best,
Patrick

It was probably 4.3 that you had updated to months ago as 4.4 has only been available for just over 5 weeks now. With so many things to keep track of updating wise these days, it can be tough!

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

Patrick,

Thanks for this post.  Very classy of you- we appreciate it.

We are starting a GoFundMe to raise the $22M required to clone Chris...

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Only 22 million for a human clone now a days huh?    Send the link...  I'll throw some money at it....

2 hours ago, PopsBellNC said:

P3D go to  Menus, Help, then About, to see if you really have updated to v4.4.

Or just go to the control panel and check the version number there 🙂

• Like 1

Cheers Henrik K.

IT Student, future ATPL holder, Freight forwarder air cargo and thx to COVID no longer a Ramp Agent at EDDL/DUS+ | FS2Crew Beta tester (&Voice Actor) for the FSlabs and UGCX

Sim: Prepar3d V4.5 Rig: CPU R7-5800X | RAM: 32GB DDR4-3000 | GPU: GTX 3080 | TFT: DELL 3840x1600

ugcx_beta_team.png 3ePa8Yp.png

50 minutes ago, 30K said:

Or just go to the control panel and check the version number there 🙂

I'm assuming these won't ever be out of whack, but to my knowledge, the control panel will report whatever is in the registry. The version number in P3D might be read from there, or it could be embedded in some internal value. Either way - as someone who helped create the updater, I know that one of the ways to trick the updater into updating a product (even if it's actually the latest) is to re-write the value in the registry to an earlier version.

Also note that, occasionally, some people report that the updater "didn't work." For some of them, it actually did, but because it wasn't run as an admin, the registry didn't get updated. Looking at the FMC menus to show the version number, you'd see the proper number, but the reg still shows an older version.

Not precisely sure this is how P3D is set up, but just a caution that the CP might not be as accurate. If the client installer is run overtop, the reg might get updated, but the code might not. Unsure.

• Upvote 1

Kyle Rodgers

13 hours ago, scandinavian13 said:

the reg might get updated, but the code might not

I'd then assume that the version report in P3D itself would be "wrong" as well. 

You are right that the CP get it's version data from the Registry, but afaik you can't run the client installer before you uninstall the old one. By that logic, there could, at least theoretically, be no way that only the reg key is getting updated. On the other hand we all now that software sometimes does what it wants 😉

Cheers Henrik K.

IT Student, future ATPL holder, Freight forwarder air cargo and thx to COVID no longer a Ramp Agent at EDDL/DUS+ | FS2Crew Beta tester (&Voice Actor) for the FSlabs and UGCX

Sim: Prepar3d V4.5 Rig: CPU R7-5800X | RAM: 32GB DDR4-3000 | GPU: GTX 3080 | TFT: DELL 3840x1600

ugcx_beta_team.png 3ePa8Yp.png

24 minutes ago, 30K said:

You are right that the CP get it's version data from the Registry, but afaik you can't run the client installer before you uninstall the old one. By that logic, there could, at least theoretically, be no way that only the reg key is getting updated. On the other hand we all now that software sometimes does what it wants 😉

I think you can run the client installer on top and this is waht usually causing the issue. For me the best check is

Control Panel version

Actual Prepard3d.exe version

From inside the platform

If all three agree then you know all are OK

• Like 1

Chris Makris

PLEASE NOTE PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at http://forum.pmdg.com

Well i would go by what L.M are saying on there update and installation thread and that the way to check if you have the correct version is to go in the sim and menu help and about l.m and check Version there.I tend to upgrade the client,content,scenery only when they do a major upgrade like 4.4. just to be on the safe side.

Regards.

Zdenek  Cebis

6 hours ago, 30K said:

Please read my full post. I specifically address the fact that these items can get out of sync, and how. I know this is possible because I actually write software, and know how these items are stored and displayed.

...but to your final point: yes.

Kyle Rodgers

If there are any lessons to be learnt here it must surely be to keep ALL of your Flight Sim software up to date and always follow the software maker's advice and installation instructions to the letter for each update or new product you obtain.  Alternatively, if you are happy with what you already have then leave well alone, but don't expect to have the latest bells and whistles and (hopefully) a more stable and happier simulation experience. 

Occasionally, when I update my own software I end up discovering that pigs do fly, but fortunately I always have a previous backup - somewhere - when I can find it! 

On 1/7/2019 at 11:53 AM, berts said:

it must surely be to keep ALL of your Flight Sim software up to date

I prefer keeping my software *relatively* up to date unless there's a pressing need. As those of us on Windows 10 can tell you from the upgrade insanity over the last year, sometimes the newest version has problems, and it's better to let them get ironed out before you incur the headaches yourself. It was just a month or so ago that nVidia released drivers which screwed up the sim for some people. Day-1 updaters had to deal with it, and the rest of us didn't. 😉

12 minutes ago, eslader said:

I prefer keeping my software *relatively* up to date unless there's a pressing need. As those of us on Windows 10 can tell you from the upgrade insanity over the last year, sometimes the newest version has problems, and it's better to let them get ironed out before you incur the headaches yourself. It was just a month or so ago that nVidia released drivers which screwed up the sim for some people. Day-1 updaters had to deal with it, and the rest of us didn't. 😉

I'm with you. I usually hold off for a couple weeks, if I can.

Kyle Rodgers

27 minutes ago, eslader said:

I agree with you and Kyle on this issue and besides, I never said keep it all up to date from Day 1. 

The problem with updating the software on any PC (including even the normally less susceptible iPads which have had issues with the IOS 12.0 update) is the fact that there is no such thing as perfect software.  There are so many different hardware and software configurations for the likes of Microsoft and others to contend with that even if you do leave an important upgrade for a few months until you think all of the bugs have been found and ironed out, it is almost inevitable that it will still cause major headaches for some users.  That's why having a good Restore and Backup policy is always a sensible idea - ready for the time an upgrade disaster happens to you!