Hello!

I bought on Ebay (for a few Euros) this Airbus Seatbelt and No smoking sign. I want to use it as deco with an simple On/Off switch. But I have to wire it the right way and dont want to destroy it on the first trie.

I have basic layman experience when it comes to electrics, but I have motivation - if that counts 😁 

Look at the following link to take a look at the sign. It has three contacts, marked with 1+ 2- 3+ and it has 5 LEDs where 3 are lighting the seatbelt sign and 2 the no smoking sign And yes, it is still somewhat dirty as it is a used part.

https://imgur.com/a/EQ693oo

Any help appreciated, Thank you very much!.

Klaus Schmitzer

i7-14700KF 5.6GHz Water Cooled /// ZOTAC RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB /// 32GB RAM DDR5 /// Win11 /// SSDs only

DCS - XP12 - MSFS2020

5 Volts for the LEDs... so why not just use a USB port and cable for the voltage?

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

I also thought so... But i am not sure how to wire the 3 contacts. 

Klaus Schmitzer

i7-14700KF 5.6GHz Water Cooled /// ZOTAC RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB /// 32GB RAM DDR5 /// Win11 /// SSDs only

DCS - XP12 - MSFS2020

9 hours ago, Rhinozherous said:

... i am not sure how to wire the 3 contacts. 

From the info on the back of the unit it looks to me like it works off of 28v at 132mA. If so, I would expect each of the terminals marked + get connected to the +28v side of the voltage source to light 'their respective' signs, and the middle terminal is common to to both signs and gets connected to the -28v side of the voltage source.  To test you could get three 9v batteries and try voltage combinations from 9 to 27 volts by hooking the batteries in series if necessary.  Hook + on battery one to - on battery two to connect two batteries in series, and so on for three batteries in series. Start by trying a singe battery at 9v, then if necessary two in series for 14 volts, and finally 3 in series for 27 volts. From the picture, it looks like the middle bulb in the group of three may be burned out. My initial guess is the unit does not use LEDs unless there is circuitry (at least a resistor) inside the unit to limit the current and reduce the 28v to a more compatible LED voltage of about 5v).

Al

Edited by ark

19 minutes ago, ark said:

From the info on the back of the unit it looks to me like it works off of 28v at 132mA. If so, I would expect each of the terminals marked + get connected to the +28v side of the voltage source to light 'their respective' signs, and the middle terminal is common to to both signs and gets connected to the -28v side of the voltage source.  To test you could get three 9v batteries and try voltage combinations from 9 to 27 volts by hooking the batteries in series if necessary.  Hook + on battery one to - on battery two to connect two batteries in series, and so on for three batteries in series. Start by trying a singe battery at 9v, then if necessary two in series for 14 volts, and finally 3 in series for 27 volts. From the picture, it looks like the middle bulb in the group of three may be burned out. My initial guess is the unit does not use LEDs unless there is circuitry (at least a resistor) inside the unit to reduce the 28v to about 5v).

Al

Yes, they are tiny bulbs, not LEDs, and the one seems really burnt out.

Thank you very much! I will trie what you mentioned. But more out of interest on how it works...

For the actual thing I think I will just use the cover with the signs on it and combine it with a little LED stripe. I can buy them with wiring and power source already mounted. 

Klaus Schmitzer

DCS - XP12 - MSFS2020