Deltaair1212

Possible flashlight for VC use in 4.4?

Thank you very much Oliver. Now I can see my GPU switch in the Vertex DA62 🙂.

Peter

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

has anyone tested to see if this works with an A2A accusim aircraft walkaround? say the Commanche or 182, etc?

This is brilliant! Just what I was looking for

Fred Ziker

Hi Oliver,

is it possible, that the settings be remembered? Every time i make a new start of P3D, the settings go back to default!

Thanks for your Flashlight and best regards
Raller

@Lorby_SI,

Sorry to redirect this thread - thanks for the flashlight! 

Any chance that your scratchpad app would work in VR? We desperately need at least one window for kneeboard help!

Thanks much  - you are certainly a talented developer!

Dave W.

Oliver,

Once again you come through with another GREAT, FREE tool. Thank you so much for all the value-added you have given to the community!

Kind Regards,

4 hours ago, Raller said:

is it possible, that the settings be remembered?

Which ones?

Autoconnect, Autominimize, Avatar mode should all be remembered. 

Best regards

4 hours ago, whitav8 said:

Any chance that your scratchpad app would work in VR

Question: which part doesn't work in VR? The presentation layer is out of my control, SimConnect message window and the Kneeboard window are both P3D native. You can display the contents of the scratchpad in the kneeboard too, there is a button on the kneeboard editor for that.

Best regards

This is so great, now I will be able to fly my planes locally in the evening again. Thank you so much for this tool.

One observation: I initially struggled to get the flashlight to work. It shortly appeared when I switched it on but then moved somewhere in the downwards direction; changing the viewpoint didn't bring it back. I tried it with a variety of airplanes, including default planes. When I wanted to test it with the Avatar, I realized that I had the Avatar mode switched off. After I changed that, went into Avatar mode and back, the flashlight worked well in all airplanes. Could it be that it requires the Avatar mode to be enabled?

Thanks again,

Peter

7 minutes ago, qqwertzde said:

This is so great, now I will be able to fly my planes locally in the evening again. Thank you so much for this tool.

One observation: I initially struggled to get the flashlight to work. It shortly appeared when I switched it on but then moved somewhere in the downwards direction; changing the viewpoint didn't bring it back. I tried it with a variety of airplanes, including default planes. When I wanted to test it with the Avatar, I realized that I had the Avatar mode switched off. After I changed that, went into Avatar mode and back, the flashlight worked well in all airplanes. Could it be that it requires the Avatar mode to be enabled?

Thanks again,

Peter

Hello Peter,

if the Avatar mode is disabled in P3D, it must be disabled in the Flashlight app too. That I why I added the corresponding menu option in Lorby Flashlight.

This seems to be a bug in the simulator variables (there is a thread in the P3D forums to that effect). If the Avatar is disabled for your aircraft in P3D, the variable transmits the value as if the Avatar mode was actually active. So the app tries to create the flashlight for an Avatar which doesn't exist. I will continue to try to smooth this out, but I couldn't find a solution yesterday.

Best regards

Edited by Lorby_SI

Thanks for the explanation, Oliver. If you continue to work on the Avatar problem, please don't do that just because of me. I can't even remember why I switched the Avatar off (I think I did some tests a while ago) and I am perfectly happy to keep it on.

Peter

50 minutes ago, qqwertzde said:

Thanks for the explanation, Oliver. If you continue to work on the Avatar problem, please don't do that just because of me. I can't even remember why I switched the Avatar off (I think I did some tests a while ago) and I am perfectly happy to keep it on.

Peter

Hello Peter,

no worries, there must be a better solution, I just need to find it. I hope to have improved things a little with the build b06 though

Best regards

UPDATE

Hello @ll,

I have updated the flashlight to build b06

• Both lights can be switched from white to red
  • The app now has my custom hotkey logic, so you can assign joystick buttons or other keyboard combos to the flashlight actions
  • It has a proper manual now
  • The app remembers the last state of your light configuration
  • I hope to have impoved Avatar mode compatibility (but the option to turn it off is still there)

Best regards

Edited by Lorby_SI
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Lorby_SI said:

• I hope to have impoved Avatar mode compatibility (but the option to turn it off is still there)

There is functionality within the PDK to allow notification when an avatar is attached or detached.  I will investigate this to see if it is any more reliable than SimConnect.

Doug

25 minutes ago, ddawson said:

There is functionality within the PDK to allow notification when an avatar is attached or detached.  I will investigate this to see if it is any more reliable than SimConnect.

Doug

Hello Doug,

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=122196

I assumed that the issue has been resolved since then, but it doesn't seem that way (or I just misunderstand what the variable does).

But this is not really my problem. What I am trying to do goes a lot deeper than just knowing that the Avatar mode is active. No worries though, I think that I have covered it. Just need more data from people using it in different circumstances.

Best regards

2 hours ago, Lorby_SI said:

I have updated the flashlight to build b06

• The app remembers the last state of your light configuration

I didn't made myself clear, that's what i meant.

Thank you very much for the update...

@Lorby_SI  b06:  Just AWESOME. Thanks!

This is a game changer for night flight in P3Dv4,4. I am going to look for some of your products to buy

Bruce

1 hour ago, bbuckley said:

@Lorby_SI  b06:  Just AWESOME. Thanks!

This is a game changer for night flight in P3Dv4,4. I am going to look for some of your products to buy

Bruce

WMA is awesome

I honestly don't get what's all that flashlight thing is about; we never needed one when entering a dark airplane. Either the lightning in P3D isn't realistic, or I don't know why you'd need one in the first place.

56 minutes ago, 30K said:

I honestly don't get what's all that flashlight thing is about; we never needed one when entering a dark airplane. Either the lightning in P3D isn't realistic, or I don't know why you'd need one in the first place.

I guess for a real airplane at a well-lit airport such as EDDL, there is indeed no need. And yes, the problem has to do with P3D v4 in particular: LM introduced dynamic lights and leaves the environment pitch black. You can actually manage without a flashlight if an airport has dynamic lights installed, but most older addons do not. Instead, they simply use textures for their buildings that are bright during night, but these textures do not cast light into the airplane.

Peter

Glad to have Lorby's flashlight at a small airfield in the middle of Podunk Kansas on a Moonless night. 🙂

Edited by Adrian123
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Oliver, my man.

You gotta start chargin' for things like this.

We need guys like you! 😎

Cheers,

Mark