Sign in to follow this  
jgoggi

Rain effect disappearing: realistic or not?

15 hours ago, Captain Kevin said:

Funny you mention this. Read about this on another forum, and apparently there isn't one, although there was one pilot who, for whatever reason, decided it was a good idea to try to turn the wiper on at cruise altitude. Needless to say the wiper departed the aircraft very quickly.

Explain this to your boss 😂 

oooh boss you know there were high flying goose that pooped on the plane and I just had to get rid of that... sooo sorry the wiper stucks in a roof now... 

23 hours ago, Rob Ainscough said:

I'm glad PMDG added the feature.

Oh, I am definitely very glad, too. To not get missunderstood:  It is really VERY nicely done and gives a great feeling - when sitting on the apron and while taxiing. And all this is not about complaining,  its just that this  wonderfull  aircraft  simulation deserves the best possible rain effect...

And exactly for this reason it is a bit disappointing to not have the slightest sign of rain and visibility obscuration even in the heaviest rain from lets say 80-90 knots upward. There is enough evidence for everybody to see that this is not  really realistic...

So, if this could get improved, that would be something..... :)

I wish it would rain harder in P3D. Heavy rain looks like a drizzle to me. But then again, I live in South Florida....

5 hours ago, Ephedrin said:

Explain this to your boss 😂 

oooh boss you know there were high flying goose that pooped on the plane and I just had to get rid of that... sooo sorry the wiper stucks in a roof now... 

Plot twist: It was a chief pilot that did this.

• Like 1

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

2 hours ago, Captain Kevin said:

Plot twist: It was a chief pilot that did this.

Kevin, side note: Do you sim on a laptop when you are on the road?

12 minutes ago, MattS said:

Kevin, side note: Do you sim on a laptop when you are on the road?

Only if I have time, although I've been running American Truck Simulator lately. A little hard to fly the 747 for very long given the limited time I have. With American Truck Simulator, I can just save wherever. That said, laptop has been acting up for a while now. I do eventually plan on getting a new laptop, so I can run P3D V4.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

PMDG, please, increase the speed at which the rain streaks are still visible! I was yesterday in cockpit in a real flight and, even if it was not a 747, at around 150 knots I could clearly see them... Robert, ok that you have thousand of hours in the 744, but the video I posted at the beginning of this post speaks clearly (from min. 3:59 onwards), at around 150 knots they are well visible...

James Goggi

2 hours ago, jgoggi said:

PMDG, please, increase the speed at which the rain streaks are still visible! I was yesterday in cockpit in a real flight and, even if it was not a 747, at around 150 knots I could clearly see them... Robert, ok that you have thousand of hours in the 744, but the video I posted at the beginning of this post speaks clearly (from min. 3:59 onwards), at around 150 knots they are well visible...

Have you submitted a support ticket?

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

No, I will now...

Edited by jgoggi

James Goggi

I actually have a great idea for this ongoing solution. If any of the dev team is watching, is it possible to put some sort of option in the FMC or OC to change the speed of which the streaks show? Definitely keep what Rob, or all that you guys think is correct as default but to put it as an option, I believe it would finally put this ongoing topic to rest and everyone would be happy. 

Remember, I have absolutely NO experience in rain effects of any sort so I wouldn't know if that was even possible but just a thought.

Thanks guys!

Brian McCumiskey

P3D V4.5, i9-9900K, RTX 2070, 16 GB 2666GHz RAM, Windows 10

Perhaps everyone should just accept what the 1000s of hours commercial pilot has said and move on? Why keep beating on about this?

People here seem to want realism, until they want eye candy... 😞

James W

Banner_FS2Crew_Supporter.jpg

I really cant see the slightest reason why videos showing clearly that rain is visible on an aircrafts windshield even when travelling with more than 130 knots or whatwever should not count as full evidence, not even speaking about personal experience of people which - even though they might not be real word pilots  - they do live in the real world ad saw it with their own eyes for example on a jump seat ride...

so, of course the decision to what simulate and what not is completely up to the devs, and that is to be accepted and is OK. But another thing is to doubt facts...

2 hours ago, severniae said:

People here seem to want realism, until they want eye candy... 😞

Wrong!

James Goggi

On 1/7/2019 at 6:33 AM, rsrandazzo said:

Yes, yes, I know how you love to latch onto specific topics and pound them away- so it is important to note that the characteristics of the window surface, it's maintenance, along with the speed of the airplane, angle of attack, intensity of precipitation, size of the precipitation and temperature of the droplets all play a role here- but by-and-large as you accelerate you are going to see only a slight blurring effect from the motion of water impacting the windscreen and being removed by the boundary layer air.  At what speed that will happen will depend **mostly** on droplet size and temperature.  The larger/colder the droplet the more likely it is to be visible.  These are not discriminators that we can poll for in the sim- so we settled on what we feel (based on MY actual observations in operation) are valid for most experiences- and went with those.

Note the above - surely that should end the discussion. I have no idea why the mods let discussions like this carry on.. Time to lock.

James W

Banner_FS2Crew_Supporter.jpg