Sign in to follow this  
Nagmaal

My experience with Ryzen 2700x & P3d v4.4

I am using an AMD Ryzen 2700x. Along with a 1080ti 16 gig of 3000mhz ram and p3d on a 512mb NVME drive. 2560 x 1080 Ultrawide Monitor.

AMD calls their version of hyper threading, SMT Simultaneous multi-threading.  

When I 1st ran my system, the SMT was turned on by default. Frustrated after a week of tweaking I gave up, and figured I will wait for P3d V5 to arrive.

Somewhere, somehow something clicked and I deceived to switch it off.

A good example would be flying Flight 1’s Superking air B200 (for those who don’t know, this aircraft has a reputation of turning P3d into a slideshow when the Garmin G1000 gets turned on)  around ORBX San Diego with Active Sky & active sky cloud art. Eventex and Evenshade medium levels.

With SMT turned on I was getting 25fps max, but the frame rates were all over the place.

I even looked at overclocking but the heat was forcing my IAO water cooler to scream at full speed. I Live in South Africa so 35 to 40 degrees Celsius ambient temperature is normal in summer.)

Meanwhile my 1080ti is siting their twiddling its thumbs, waiting for something to do.

SMT Turned of, 30 to 40 fps constant. Still finding the balance but I have almost maxed all settings. I have yet to see a stutter and the CPU is running 20deg colder. Loading times changed from 12 to 13 minutes to 2 to 3 minutes.

Just thought I would share my experience with anybody in the same situation.

Or even someone frightened by Intel’s recent prices. The 2700x works for me, it might for you as well.

• Like 3

AMD CPU's and Radeon GPU's have never been contenders when it comes to FSX/P3D but I am sure all flight simmers would love to see a cat among the pigeons.

At some point we will need someone with deep pockets and the know how to build two rigs. One using the most powerful AMD CPU and Radeon GPU on the other withe most powerful Intel CPU and Nvidia GPU, then carry out an extensive apples to apples to apples comparison for P3D and XP11.

We'd need to know 2 things. The performance outright winner and the cost per frame.

If someone did that comparison today I'd shocked if AMD/Radeon was the performance outright winner but I guess they would be the cost per frame winner.

I love to see AMD/Radeon become the performance outright winner too.

If that happened it would take long before we would see 6 perhaps 7ghz processors.

Things only get better when there is competition.

I suspect those 6 or 7ghz processors already are and have been purring away in Intel's RND labs for sometime. But we aren't getting our hands on them until some else forces Intel to show their hand. 😁

3 hours ago, Avidean said:

At some point we will need someone with deep pockets and the know how to build two rigs. One using the most powerful AMD CPU and Radeon GPU on the other withe most powerful Intel CPU and Nvidia GPU, then carry out an extensive apples to apples to apples comparison for P3D and XP11.

That's not particularly interesting to me, since almost no one buys the top of the line systems for flight simulation. What's far more interesting is putting something together at the $250, $400 and $600 budgets for CPU/mobo/RAM and seeing who wins at each of those price points. I have no doubt that at the very top end Intel will likely win but not everyone has the ability to purchase at that level.

I suspect those 6 or 7ghz processors already are and have been purring away in Intel's RND labs for sometime. But we aren't getting our hands on them until some else forces Intel to show their hand. 😁

Unlikely. There is an insatiable demand for more CPU power but taking advantage of it has shifted away from fast single-core to wide multi-core. The world's moved on - they care about core count and power consumption, not single-core frequency or (less so) IPC.

Cheers!

• Like 3

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

I suspect those 6 or 7ghz processors already are and have been purring away in Intel's RND labs for sometime. But we aren't getting our hands on them until some else forces Intel to show their hand

Until one desnt need a liquid Nitrogen system or other exotic systems to super cool them. The problem is HEAT.

• Like 2

Thank you for this "review" 😉

• Like 1

12400F - 32GB DDR4 - RTX4070 - 1440p G-Sync UltraWide - Sennheiser GSX 1000 - O11 Air Mini - 1TB NVMe + 2TB SSD - Windows 11 Pro - Prepar3D 5.4 and MSFS

I have a Ryzen system... 1600x with a GeForce 1080, 16 gigs, Acer Predator 2560 x 1400 monitor. P3D is installed on on Samsung 500 gig SSD. I use Orbx, Evndir, PTA, Active Sky, TopoSim add ons.

I fly almost exclusively MilViz aircraft and achieve 30 - 40 FPS (avg close to 30) with my settings, which are (without getting into specifics) all dialed up towards high or max.

I was away from PC's and simming... for a very long time. Wanted an affordable platform and believed a lot of what I read about Ryzen although Intel does indeed dominate flight sim builds. I am very happy and will replace the 1600x with whatever comes out next that will work with my B350 motherboard.

• Like 2

ATP BE300 BE400 CE500 CE560XL DA20 MU300

I gave Ryzen a try, new build, I have a ton of add-ons, So far, it's the best performance I've had after 20yrs of this great hobby! Also, this motherboard will accept the Ryzen Thread Ripper CPU. Just waiting for the price to come down!!

Mike 

TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI)MOTHERBOARD 
AMD Ryzen 5 5900X CPU-LIQUID COOLED
AMD RADEON RX 6900 XT
32GB RAM G-SKILL TRIDENT Z
SAMSUNG SSD 980 PRO 2TB

12 hours ago, Luke said:

That's not particularly interesting to me, since almost no one buys the top of the line systems for flight simulation. What's far more interesting is putting something together at the $250, $400 and $600 budgets for CPU/mobo/RAM and seeing who wins at each of those price points. I have no doubt that at the very top end Intel will likely win but not everyone has the ability to purchase at that level.

A good example would be the 2700x vs the I5 7400 witch in my country once you include motherboard price etc. works out the same where I am from. The 2700x is 20 percent faster in single core operations. Even something as simple as "specials" and region specific pricing can turn everything upside down.

13 hours ago, Luke said:

Unlikely. There is an insatiable demand for more CPU power but taking advantage of it has shifted away from fast single-core to wide multi-core. The world's moved on - they care about core count and power consumption, not single-core frequency or (less so) IPC.

Cheers!

I think in a big part the heat and transistor issue has created a Megahertz barrier that is struggling to get overcome. So more cores seem to be the only solution. And I am starting to get the idea that Intel is puling out of the desktop CPU side. Witch is a bad thing no matter with team you are on. Healthy competition is what is pushing driving the technology forward.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Adrian123 said:

Until one desnt need a liquid Nitrogen system or other exotic systems to super cool them. The problem is HEAT.

I am all for "All In One" Liquid Nitrogen coolers. Haha , not gonna happen , but would be awesome.

5 hours ago, snpower said:

I have a Ryzen system... 1600x with a GeForce 1080, 16 gigs, Acer Predator 2560 x 1400 monitor. P3D is installed on on Samsung 500 gig SSD. I use Orbx, Evndir, PTA, Active Sky, TopoSim add ons.

I fly almost exclusively MilViz aircraft and achieve 30 - 40 FPS (avg close to 30) with my settings, which are (without getting into specifics) all dialed up towards high or max.

I was away from PC's and simming... for a very long time. Wanted an affordable platform and believed a lot of what I read about Ryzen although Intel does indeed dominate flight sim builds. I am very happy and will replace the 1600x with whatever comes out next that will work with my B350 motherboard.

2700x Should work with a your board, with a bios update. Depend on the exact board. But its only a 10 percent single core performance boost. Ryzen 3 rumors are sounding great right now.

Sony no it wont, Threadriper uses a completely different chip-set. Threadriper uses TH4 and Ryzen uses AM4. But not to wory, Ryzen 3 series CPU rumors are looking great right now, and that upgrade should work with a BIOS update.

9 hours ago, simaddict said:

I gave Ryzen a try, new build, I have a ton of add-ons, So far, it's the best performance I've had after 20yrs of this great hobby! Also, this motherboard will accept the Ryzen Thread Ripper CPU. Just waiting for the price to come down!!

Mike 

Sony no it wont, Threadriper uses a completely different chip-set. Threadriper uses TH4 and Ryzen uses AM4. But not to wory, Ryzen 3000 series CPU rumors are looking great right now, and that upgrade should work with a BIOS update

Sounds good!

Thanks,

Mike

TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI)MOTHERBOARD 
AMD Ryzen 5 5900X CPU-LIQUID COOLED
AMD RADEON RX 6900 XT
32GB RAM G-SKILL TRIDENT Z
SAMSUNG SSD 980 PRO 2TB

Does the 2700x overclocked work well with PMDG + Add-on traffic? I am considering taking the 2700x over the 8700k due to availability issues in my area. I am thinking of pairing the CPU with an RX 580 (1060 equivalent)

The 2700x seems quite promising based on your experience - very different from previous AMD cpu generations.

Unfortunately I don't use PMDG aircraft. But the Flight 1 King air I use, is heavy on the CPU. Switching on the Garmin G1000 in the thing will take you 15 to 20 frames down. From what I have read, PMDG aircraft seem to hit the CPU just as heard as the Flight 1 King air.

I don't use ad on traffic anymore because I don't fly the Tube liners. So I am no help their either. But I do know they put load on the CPU.

That being said the 8700k is about 10 percent faster in single threaded work loads. That makes it very tricky decision. The 9600k appears to perform the same at a much higher price. With the price difference between Ryzen 2700x & 8700k , you can maybe justify buying a 240 or eva a  360mm AIO cooler and letting Ryzen over clock itself. Given enough cooling they will over-clock themselves between 4 & 4.2 GHz.  Just remember to switch of SMT & play with affinity mask.

I don't know much about the RX580 but reviews say it performs the same. And you have the extra 2gigs of VRam. More Vram is always welcome in P3d.

Good luck and let us know how your PC runs.