Sign in to follow this  
Cruachan

Vertx Diamond DA62 (Legibility of text in VC)

Hi,

Without doubt this is a fantastic creation! Indeed, to date one of the most enjoyable and immersive aircraft I’ve flown....ever. A real work of art in almost every sense of the word.

However, I do have one reservation and am hoping that there is a simple solution. I see numerous images on the net displaying this cockpit panel and, almost without exception, everything is pin sharp. Not so in my case as most of the text is fuzzy and hard to read unless I zoom in fairly close. Are all these images captured in 4K and could it be that the DA62 VC has been optimised for 4K? 

My monitor is 2K WQHD (2560 x 1440)

I note there is provision to download no-mipmap textures for use with SSAA. For performance I have found MSAAx8 to be an acceptable compromise and I don’t have any serious panel legibility issues in most of my other 3rd Party aircraft.

It’s a pity there has been no provision for popup gauges as this would help in the absence of another solution. Did I read somewhere that this feature is being considered by Sean?

Here’s hoping!

Regards,

Mike

You can try the no mipmap textures, but I have found that having texture resolution set to 4096 in P3D is sufficient.  Yes, you have to zoom in a bit from time to time, but that should do the trick..  My monitor is 1080p.

I do use 4xSSAA  :cool:

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

8 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

You can try the no mipmap textures, but I have found that having texture resolution set to 4096 in P3D is sufficient.  Yes, you have to zoom in a bit from time to time, but that should do the trick..  My monitor is 1080p.

Hi Bert,

Thanks very much for your suggestion. 

I have tried setting the texture resolution in-sim to 4096 but, sadly, it didn’t make a whole lot of difference.

The fact that Sean has offered the option to try the  no-mipmap textures suggests to me that he is aware of this potential issue. Somewhat surprised others have not commented about this. To be fair, I have not waded all the way through the thread that coincided with the release of the Vertx DA62 so I could be wrong about this.

Regards, 

Mike

26 minutes ago, Cruachan said:

Monitor is 2K WQHD (2560 x 1440)

Hello Mike,

do you realy have a Monitor that has a factory-resolution of 2560 x 1440? Or do you have a 4K Monitor and downsized the resolution to 2560 x 1440?

Because if you don't have the default factory-resolution adjusted, the Monitor must rendering the resolution and that causes a little blur!

Win 10 Pro | P3Dv4.5 | X-Plane 11 | MSFS 2020 | I5-9600K @ 4.8GHz | RTX 2070 8GB | 32GB RAM | SSD | T.16000M

Hi Mike I have a 2k monitor  and use 8xmsaa and I get this with the no mipmap textures

J3gLt8s.jpg

24 minutes ago, onebob said:

Hi Mike I have a 2k monitor  and use 8xmsaa and I get this with the no mipmap textures

J3gLt8s.jpg

Hi Bob,

That’s similar to what I’m seeing without having tried the no-mipmap textures. 

Look at these screenshots from the Vertx website:

https://vertxsim.com

I’ve checked my screen resolution and it is 2560x1440 (native), so that’s not the reason; but thanks, Ralf, for the suggestion.

Regards,

Mike

Hi Mike,

What I see with my 2K monitor is in a close up view of the PFD or MFD, the screens kind of fade and lose contrast.  If I go to the 'Pilot's' view, the screens darken again and when I go back to a closeup view the screens start to fade again.  The screens don't continue to fade, they just become a bit fuzzy.   Is this similar to what you are seeing?

Bill

Edit.  I should add that this obviously isn't a show stopper as the only aircraft that I am flying now is the Vertx DA62.  😊

Edited by Bill Griffith

Bill  N7IBG     

Sean also recommends turning off HDR in the sim.. try it as a comparison!

Bert

This is with HDR off ( click on image )

d8jnuI4.jpg

Edited by onebob

1 hour ago, Bert Pieke said:

Sean also recommends turning off HDR in the sim.. try it as a comparison!

Thanks Bert.  I missed that.  I will give it a try.

Bill

Bill  N7IBG     

4 minutes ago, Bill Griffith said:

Thanks Bert.  I missed that.  I will give it a try.

Bill

WoW!  Big difference.  I had read that paragraph in the manual but I was considering it from a FPS point of view and forgot the rest.  😋  Thanks for the refresh Bert.

Bill

Bill  N7IBG     

3 hours ago, Cruachan said:

It’s a pity there has been no provision for popup gauges as this would help in the absence of another solution. Did I read somewhere that this feature is being considered by Sean?

Mike,

a fundamental note regarding G1000 popups, were most user actions have to be performed.

To get a popup which is halfway crisp you would need abt 1000 pixel in width. It covers too much of my 1920 screen IMO, might also be too much for a 2560 screen you use. Popups makes sense for small gauges like standard GPSs or even a MCDU/FMS. But not necessarily for a G1000 with a big high resolution screen and buttons/knobs left/bottom/right, wich also have to be shown.

You easily can try that out. Have a look at the pre-defined cockpit view - G1000 PFD. Or create a second view to simulate a popup and try out how big it has to be.

Rudi 

Rüdiger ("Rudi") Heilig

My videos "Vertx DA62 - in detail - in a nutshell": https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYDO8_1njznTbsyJKEr3X2g

All my postings and other publications reflect my personal view only

16 minutes ago, rudi0310 said:

To get a popup which is halfway crisp you would need abt 1000 pixel in width. It covers too much of my 1920 screen IMO, might also be too much for a 2560 screen you use. Popups makes sense for small gauges like standard GPSs or even a MCDU/FMS. But not necessarily for a G1000 with a big high resolution screen and buttons/knobs left/bottom/right, wich also have to be shown.

Hi Rudi,

Ah, I hadn’t considered that. Hmm, both interesting and perhaps a little disappointing. Back to the drawing board!

Thanks.

Regards,

Mike

This seems to be the best I can do with 8xMSAA:

HDR-ON (4096).jpg
3G3xIax.jpg

HDR-OFF (4096).jpg
WTukZzO.jpg

Mike

6 hours ago, Bill Griffith said:

What I see with my 2K monitor is in a close up view of the PFD or MFD, the screens kind of fade and lose contrast.  If I go to the 'Pilot's' view, the screens darken again and when I go back to a closeup view the screens start to fade again.  The screens don't continue to fade, they just become a bit fuzzy.   Is this similar to what you are seeing?

Hi Bill,

Can't say that describes my experience. No obvious fading or darkening expect when I turn off HDR.

I much prefer HDR = ON. Not using a PTA preset at present, but will need HDR when that time comes (Matt manages to sort things out) - hopefully sooner than later! I know I could try it again now but prefer to wait.

Regards,

Mike