Sign in to follow this  
birdguy

New Toy...

After spending the last couple weeks installing all the MAIW sceneries and AI for North America including Mexico and the Caribbean on FS2004 I am having quite a time exploring it all.

Oh, P3Dv4 still occupies the SSD and is frequently flown, but with the reinstall of FS2004 on my standard hard drive and all the MAIW stuff it's hard to resist flying those military aircraft out of the Air Force and Navy bases that abound even with the lack of Orbx eye candy and Pilot's mesh.  It presents a very nice alternative and performance wise matches P3D on a computer with specs that weren't available when I was flying FS2004 in the old days.

Next I will be collecting all the WOAI airliner flights to add to it.

Noel

• Like 1

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

4 hours ago, birdguy said:

After spending the last couple weeks installing all the MAIW sceneries and AI for North America including Mexico and the Caribbean on FS2004 I am having quite a time exploring it all.

Oh, P3Dv4 still occupies the SSD and is frequently flown, but with the reinstall of FS2004 on my standard hard drive and all the MAIW stuff it's hard to resist flying those military aircraft out of the Air Force and Navy bases that abound even with the lack of Orbx eye candy and Pilot's mesh.  It presents a very nice alternative and performance wise matches P3D on a computer with specs that weren't available when I was flying FS2004 in the old days.

Noel

Good for you.  My sim sweetspot was FS9 with WOAI, but it is lost and I do not have the drive space to get it back, until I get a 4TB External drive as a present around my next payday, rapidly approaching..

13 hours ago, birdguy said:

Noel

I've often been tempted to reinstall FS9 myself.  Never have though.  

Hi Folks,

Yeah - I was an FS9 diehard - only came over on P3Dv3 skipping FSX entirely - fully intending to keep FS9 around for some of my favorite aircraft - - - DA Cheyenne - Tin Mouse - Paul's 727 - Dreamfleet - - - LOL - I think I've launched FS9 a total of one time since installing P3D - - - for me - there is no going back... I should probably free up the disk space...

Regards,
Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Could be a fun little project to reinstall FS9 and see how good one can make it look. I remember it as the best SIM I've ever flown, but that is probably just my memory playing games with me 🙄

I would be very surprised if it turns out to be just as good as FSX, P3D or XP.

Well, it's definitely not just as good as FSX or P3D.  But it does have it's charm.  It has many more aircraft to fly and it provides those who like military aviation with a wealth of military ai and air force and naval bases to fly out of.  John Stinstrom provides many base sceneries for MAIW.

My all time favorite 'I feel the need for speed' is the Section 8 F-86.  A marvelous aircraft to fly and I have a soft spot in my heart for it because it was the first aircraft I worked on when I joined the Air Force.  

If the entire MAIW ai aircraft, flight plans, and military bases were available for either FSX or P3D I would go there.  But it doesn't, although there are some conversions.

For the things FS2004 provides that P3D doesn't it's a nice companion.

Noel 

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

I just installed all the MAIW stuff in P3D and fly it that way. They have all new installers for P3D.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

And FSEarthtiles can generate photoreal scenery for FS9, I've done it but it does take up more hard drive space than P3D or FSX, where it uses bgl's to store the images vs. bitmapped files in FS9.  That is why I used FSX more than FS9, and P3DV4.4 more than FSX, but I bounce back between P3D4.4 and Xplane11.30 because both support finely detailed photo scenery, and both now have aircraft with good flight models, it is almost impossible to find fault with either sim, although I like P3D's graphics options more and cloud and building shadows more, plus its seasons and smaller footprint than Xplane11.

John

Yeah, I'm also jumping back and forth between XP11 and P3D v4. Both of them do different things very well, so depending on what I'm in the mood for, that's the sim i choose.

A while back I did try to pick a favorite so I didn't have to maintain two sims (very costly), but I gave up and decided to just add addons at a slower rate on each sim and keep both. I'm very happy with my choice 😁

FS9 could be fun to try again, but I lost most of my addons and it would probably mostly be nostalgia that was the driver for it. So it will stay as a fond memory instead.

They have many ai aircraft installers for P3D and I have some.  But none for the over 60 Air Force Bases, Naval Air Stations, Army Air Field, and Marine Corps Air Station sceneries for North America.

Noel

Edited by birdguy