Sign in to follow this  
helberger

Syestem upgrade questions

Hi,

Have a 4th Generation (6yr) old system, time to upgrade.

CPU : Would like to stay with latest Intel 9700K processor, anyone using one yet and seen temp problems???

Motherboard:  Open to recommendations for decent (not highest priced) Z390 or 370 ASUS board.

Ram:   DDR4 3000, fasted speed I can afford??

Video card:    Keeping my EVGA SC GTX 1070 for the time being.

I have an H80 CPU cooler on my current system, not sure If it will be enough.

Have a full size Cooler Master Case, with plenty of huge fans.

I use my PC for FS only, no other Gaming and run P3D V4.4

MB is my biggest dilemma, there is a myriad of different brands out there, so which would get the job. Have always used Asus.

Thanks all for your insight.

My System: Intel 9700K 4.7Gz, ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming, 32 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200MHZ, Evga 3070TI  8GB, Noctua NH-D15S, Gigabyte 27" Monitor, Windows 10 64bit, 2xSamsung 500GB SSD, 1x Samsung 120GB, 1x Samsung 970, 1TB, 1TB H/D for Storage.

Helmut Berger

I, too, have used ASUS ROG almost exclusively.  Never really had a bad board, so no reason to switch.  Currently on their Maximus X Hero board and am very pleased with it.  Very detailed BIOS with all the O/C goodies one could need.  Not saying ASUS is the absolute best, but they are definitely on par with all the other MB manufacturers out there.

I believe you'll have to go with the Z390 to get the most out of the 9000 series processors... but I could be mistaken about that.  Here's a link to the Z390 version of the MB I currently use.

Edited by dmiannay

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

3 hours ago, helberger said:

Hi,

Have a 4th Generation (6yr) old system, time to upgrade.

CPU : Would like to stay with latest Intel 9700K processor, anyone using one yet and seen temp problems???

Motherboard:  Open to recommendations for decent (not highest priced) Z390 or 370 ASUS board.

Ram:   DDR4 3000, fasted speed I can afford??

Video card:    Keeping my EVGA SC GTX 1070 for the time being.

I have an H80 CPU cooler on my current system, not sure If it will be enough.

Have a full size Cooler Master Case, with plenty of huge fans.

I use my PC for FS only, no other Gaming and run P3D V4.4

MB is my biggest dilemma, there is a myriad of different brands out there, so which would get the job. Have always used Asus.

Thanks all for your insight.

I was a pretty big Asus guy and I went with a Gigabyte Pro z390 for my 9700K build.  No regrets so far.  5.1Ghz with a H110 cooler.  Temps are toasty if your not careful.  Using P3D they are usually in the mid 70 to mid 80 range.  Stress testing in Prime95 is way hot for my comfort.  I am about 1.34 Vcore though.

Matt Wilson

3 hours ago, mpw8679 said:

Temps are toasty if your not careful.  Using P3D they are usually in the mid 70 to mid 80 range.  Stress testing in Prime95 is way hot for my comfort.  I am about 1.34 Vcore though.

I wasn't happy with averaging the high 70s with peaks into the high 80s with my stable 5.0GHz O/C (1.34 Vcore), so I tried the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility (IETU) to test a "core voltage offset" of -0.100.  It worked very well and lowered my average temps to the mid 60s with spikes no higher than 75C, all the while maintaining the stable 5.0GHz O/C. Testing -0.105 right now and all is stable with an additional 1-2C lower.  Since this is working so well, I need to find the exact same BIOS setting for applying this voltage offset so I can quit the IETU.

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

1 hour ago, dmiannay said:

I wasn't happy with averaging the high 70s with peaks into the high 80s with my stable 5.0GHz O/C (1.34 Vcore), so I tried the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility (IETU) to test a "core voltage offset" of -0.100.  It worked very well and lowered my average temps to the mid 60s with spikes no higher than 75C, all the while maintaining the stable 5.0GHz O/C. Testing -0.105 right now and all is stable with an additional 1-2C lower.  Since this is working so well, I need to find the exact same BIOS setting for applying this voltage offset so I can quit the IETU.

Thanks for the info! 

Matt Wilson

Intel XF CPUs due to launch soon i9 without the integrated Graphics which you do not need, they may come in a bit cheaper than the X WITH UHD. Testers should soon be trying them to see how they perform some think they may be cooler at stock without UHD. 

Edited by rjfry

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Hi all,

Thanks for all the above answers, I have decided on on an Asus Rog Strix Z390 MB, either the H or the E board, and with

the 9700K staying at or below 4.8GH, temps should be OK, I hope. It is winter where I live.

Not sure yet about RAM.

My System: Intel 9700K 4.7Gz, ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming, 32 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200MHZ, Evga 3070TI  8GB, Noctua NH-D15S, Gigabyte 27" Monitor, Windows 10 64bit, 2xSamsung 500GB SSD, 1x Samsung 120GB, 1x Samsung 970, 1TB, 1TB H/D for Storage.

Helmut Berger

2 hours ago, helberger said:

I have decided on on an Asus Rog Strix Z390 MB, either the H or the E board, and with the 9700K staying at or below 4.8GH, temps should be OK, I hope. It is winter where I live. Not sure yet about RAM.

Good choice, Helmut.  Remember the "core voltage offset" tweak I mentioned above using the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility (free download).  Once you have a stable O/C, I am confident you can get substantially lower CPU Package temps with that little tweak and still maintain a stable O/C/

As for RAM, I'd recommend you go with a minimum of 16GB... and G-Skill has some excellent selections out there.  Aim for a matched set at 3000MHz or higher.

Doug Miannay