Sign in to follow this  
shamrockflyer

No Descent Via VNAV

1 minute ago, Ephedrin said:

fixed (low) fuel prices would be great too...

Fuel is already exempt of taxes. If there were taxes added then the fuel would be more pricey.

23 hours ago, scandinavian13 said:

Yeah.

CIs are variable. That's kind of the point of them, despite the common idea that each operator has this set value. Some do, sure, but having a fixed CI is about as effective as saying "we fly at FL320...always."

As my most favourite aircraft is the 747-400F in Atlas Air colours, all said and done amongst others, Kyle, you being in the 'live' game, so to speak, is there a website that one could source for different operators CIs

2 hours ago, vc10man said:

As my most favourite aircraft is the 747-400F in Atlas Air colours, all said and done amongst others, Kyle, you being in the 'live' game, so to speak, is there a website that one could source for different operators CIs

5Y CI’s vary depending on the flight.  

4 hours ago, vc10man said:

That's the point I was making: those websites are worthless.

What you're asking for is akin to asking "what flight level does Atlas use?"

The answer, as you know, is "depends on the flight, the time of day, the weather, the wind, the loadout," and so on.

CI is an extension of this concept: it is an adjustment based on input variables (the time of day, cost of fuel, need to be there faster rather than slower, etc). So, if you find a website with those values, the data will be good for the one flight that that person saw with that value, at that time, with that weather, for that aircraft type (for that engine type, if applicable), and so on.

• Like 1

Kyle Rodgers

As a rule of thumb, if the flight is on time, I would say 035-075 is typically what is used. If the flight is late and time is critical it’ll usually be planned at 600. But again, those are very general. 

Edited by Jetlinker

57 minutes ago, scandinavian13 said:

The answer, as you know, is "depends on the flight, the time of day, the weather, the wind, the loadout," and so on.

CI is an extension of this concept: it is an adjustment based on input variables (the time of day, cost of fuel, need to be there faster rather than slower, etc). So, if you find a website with those values, the data will be good for the one flight that that person saw with that value, at that time, with that weather, for that aircraft type (for that engine type, if applicable), and so on.

Thanks, Kyle, fully explained. Now I get it. A parameter that varies dependent on other varying factors.

3 hours ago, scandinavian13 said:

Kyle,

Am not arguing with you at all on this point but as a member of BA Virtual the guys that run it are very keen on details and CI of 20 for the A319-320 seems to be the figure to use all/most of the time.

BA Virtual is run to mirror BA ops as close as possible.

Perhaps airlines over here might be a bit different like the fuel topic. Ryanair use a CI of 6. Perhaps a Europe thing?

Edited by Nyxx

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

1 minute ago, Nyxx said:

Am not arguing with you at all on this point but as a member of BA Virtual the guys that run it are very keen on details and CI of 20 for the A319-320 seems to be the figure to use all/most of the time.

Perhaps airlines over here might be a bit different like the fuel topic. Ryanair use a CI of 6. Perhaps a Europe thing?

Likely a short segment thing. I'm betting their FLs are pretty routine, too. DC to NY, for example, will be between 17000 and FL210, just based on traffic.

You will always find some variation on a rule, but again: CI is meant to be variable. This idea that "X operator uses Y" misses the mark. Even if they use a set CI in a certain fleet (I'd argue either because they're lazy, or they've run the math and have determined the segments are so short that it really doesn't justify the work), it'll vary by plane.

...and this being the 744 part of the forum, I highly doubt any operators had a hard and fast rule on CIs. The segments are way too long to not take advantage of it.

Kyle Rodgers

Just looked it up Kyle,

Just for info and to add to the chat.

747-400 for BA are 53 and 0 can be used for USA east coast.

With the 319/320/321 yes you also get a FL for a given flight.

FL/CI/Real world flight number times etc. Even a know route on a lot of flights. If you get things wrong your not credited with the flight. It’s all very strict but that what you sign up for. The test exam  to join is not easy in the first place fail and you have to wait a month to try again. 🙂 

Edited by Nyxx

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

41 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

FL/CI/Real world flight number times etc. Even a know route on a lot of flights. If you get things wrong your not credited with the flight. It’s all very strict but that what you sign up for. The test exam  to join is not easy in the first place fail and you have to wait a month to try again. 🙂 

...and this is why I'm not a member of a single VA out there. This kind of stuff propagates because of VAs, and their assertions of what is, and isn't true, based on some random dispatch they, or their kid picked up off of a flight, or a friend, or something...or Bob, who used to work at BA, and is remarkably vague about what the position actually was.

This isn't always the case, but I'm curious as to the source...

The comment about the 747-400s, though, supports my point: it's variable, and dependent on the situation.

• Upvote 1

Kyle Rodgers

9 minutes ago, scandinavian13 said:

...and this is why I'm not a member of a single VA out there. This kind of stuff propagates because of VAs, and their assertions of what is, and isn't true, based on some random dispatch they, or their kid picked up off of a flight, or a friend, or something...or Bob, who used to work at BA, and is remarkably vague about what the position actually was.

This isn't always the case, but I'm curious as to the source...

The comment about the 747-400s, though, supports my point: it's variable, and dependent on the situation.

Hi Kyle

It's absolutely reasonable to be sceptical as there's definitely a lot of misinformation floating around! However, we are very lucky to have quite a number of active, current BA pilots on various fleets, as well as Flight Ops people and so on who who are kind enough to help us out based on proper info and not just a discarded Cirrus or two!

Of course, as you know things can change rapidly so I'd never totally guarantee that every iota of information is 100% up to date but I think the guys generally do a pretty good job of keeping us pretty close :)

• Like 1

It sure feels like that Simon, you guys do a great job.

I've tried a lot of VA's Nothing is run or comes close to how BAV is.

You was up 6 hours ago (3am)Simon, late night my friend :) 

Edited by Nyxx
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, skelsey said:

It's absolutely reasonable to be sceptical

I tried a VA once, (not BA) and decided to leave when I was told I couldn't fly an aircraft in which I had a type rating because I wasn't qualified. 🤣

Grace and Peace, 

• Upvote 1

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

3 hours ago, Bluestar said:

I tried a VA once, (not BA) and decided to leave when I was told I couldn't fly an aircraft in which I had a type rating because I wasn't qualified. 🤣

Well... whilst I can understand where you're coming from, I can also see the VA's point of view; most have some form of progression through the available aircraft, some just hours logged with the VA, others with more formal requirements, and by signing up to a large extent you are agreeing to 'play the game'. As an organisation, if you start making exceptions for one person then soon everybody else wants special treatment too ("hey, why can't I fly the 747, I've got a gazillion hours in it on VATSIM!") and it soon just descends in to chaos (especially when you consider the number of people who claim qualifications they don't have... my favourite recently was a 17 year old who claimed on his application to us that he was a real-world 777 Captain, or another who claimed to be a BA 787 Captain at having been inspired to take up aviation a year ago!).

Not saying that a sensible organisation shouldn't have some give occasionally otherwise you can end up in some genuinely ridiculous situations (obviously there's no point in me trying to tell a real A320 pilot how to operate the aircraft, for instance -- though I might learn something myself!), but overall I find the vast majority are very happy to follow the rules. After all, with a type rating I'm sure you'd have sailed through the test and probably been able to provide some pointers and assistance to improve it, right? 😉

10 hours ago, Nyxx said:

You was up 6 hours ago (3am)Simon, late night my friend 🙂

Haha - the delights of night shifts! Thanks for the kind words -- as I say, we do our best, there's always things which can be improved but we're very proud of the very special community that all our members (including yourself) are part of creating!

Aware we're going very off topic here though 🙂

Simon

1 hour ago, skelsey said:

probably been able to provide some pointers and assistance to improve it, right?

Simon,

From time to time  I try to post stuff that is specific to my type of flying and all I get is pushback from folks that can't even adjust the seat.  🤣

As for the VA I didn't make a fuss about it, just moved on.  🙂

Grace and Peace, 

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam