Sign in to follow this  
Wink22

Newbie question...

Looking for help.  I purchased the Reality XP GTN750 and it seemed to download correctly (as well as the Garmin stand alone trainer).  The GTN 750 shows up only in my Carenado Citation S550 II aircraft.  It does not show up in any other aircraft.  However, when I say "shows up"......it is just the device itself and is BLACK.  It will NOT power up.  I have Un-Installed and Re-Installed several times to no avail.

Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Scott

Does the trainer power up when run by itself?

How did you install the GTN into the Citation?

If you ran the Carenado F1GTN750S550 exe, it would have installed the F1 GTN for you.

If that is the case, with the Citation loaded.. go to the P3D menu bar at the top of the screen.   The rightmost item should be add-ons.  (click to the right of Help).  Choose RXP GTN. That should give you an RXP window where you can choose to replace the F1 GTN by the RXP GTN.

Read the provided RXP documentation for details.

Edited by RXP
  • Like 1

Bert

Thanks for the response, Bert.  My responses are as follows:

1. The "trainer" only showed up once.  That was after my initial download for the 1st time.  I'm not sure where it went, or if it is vital to the operation.

2. After reviewing YouTube, I found a video that walked me through a process to find the Carenado Aircraft Folder (programs/flight simulator/simobjects/airplanes/carenado S550II). I saw the F1GTN750S550 icon in that folder.  I "right clicked" it and "run as administrator."  I agreed to the questions that popped up and hit "finish".  That being said, the F1GTN750S550 icon does NOT have .exe noted at the end of it.  So, I'm not sure if that makes a difference or not.

3. Not sure what you mean by the "installed F1 GTN".  Is there a step or process that I didn't execute after the download installation?

4. I am using Microsoft Flight Simulator - X and not P3D.  I would add that in my attempts to power up the GTN750 stack in the Citation VC, I pulled down the FSX pull down menu at top left to see if there was an "add-ons" icon.  There was not.  It just showed the FUSIP...or something of that nature.  I can't remember because I don't have the simulator open as I am at work.

5. I have read the operation manual several times, especially the "trouble shooting" section.  I am not computer literate and get frustrated easily with this process.  

Also, I checked the AIRCRAFT FOLDERS for all of my Carenado Add-Ons to see if the F1GTN icon was there.  It was NOT.  It only appears in the Citation S550II folder.

Thanks again for your attention and help!

Scott

Edited by RXP

OK, this could get tricky... but lets take it in small steps.

1.  Are you sure which GTN 750 gauge you installed initially?

There is the Reality XP version which we are talking about here, and another version from another vendor (F1) which the Carenado Citation is set up for.  The install should have put up a Users Guide on your desktop..

If in doubt, look in your C: drive for a RealityXP folder with some GTN keys or licences.

2. Assuming it is indeed the Reality XP version, you need to replace the F1 GTN definition which the Carenado exe that you ran installed for you, with the RXP version. Don't worry about the exe showing or not showing.

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

If you cannot get the Addon menu item to show in FSX, here is something you can try..

In the Citation aircraft folder which you found previously, find the panel folder.

In the panel folder there is a panel.cfg file.

Make a copy of it as a backup and then open it with Notepad.

You should find:

[Window01]
Background_color=0,0,0
size_mm=937,887
ident=14401
window_pos= 0.660, 0.420
window_size= 0.340, 0.580
zorder=99
gauge00=F1GTN!GTN750,  0,0,937,887,UNIT1.POP

and further down

[Vcockpit05]
Background_color=0,0,0
size_mm=1024,1024
visible=1
pixel_size=1024,1024
texture=$Panel_5

gauge00=F1GTN!GTN750VC,  0,0,667,794,UNIT1
gauge01=C2CAR!Toggle10400,     64,0, 512, 32

Those are the definitions for the F1 GTN.

Make two edits:

in Window01

gauge00=rxpGTN!GTN_750_1, 0, 0,937,887

in Vcockpit05

gauge00=rxpGTN!GTN_750_1, 0, 0,667,794,NO_BEZEL

Save and start up the Citation.

Edited by Bert Pieke
  • Like 1

Bert

Ok, I will try your solutions as soon as I get home this evening.  As a reminder, I am NOT computer literate and this stuff is very intimidating to me.  So, I have a couple of questions.

1. I'm pretty sure I installed the Reality XP version of the GTN 750 gauge.  I'm not sure what the "other version" is.  I printed out the Reality XP user's guide/manual and have studied it to no avail. I know that there is a "Reality XP Folder" on my C drive.  I do not recall seeing another vendor folder, but I will verify when I get home.

2. How do I replace the F1 GTN definition with the RXP version?

3. As it relates to the Addon menu in FSX, how do I open the panel.cfg file with Notepad?  I have never used or opened Notepad and don't know how it works.  That being said, you indicated that I should make (2) edits.  In Window01 and Vcockpit05.  Do I just re-type those characters you gave me to replace the characters that are already in there?

Sorry to be such a NOVICE at this.  But, my computer expert.....SON.......is away at college.  So, I'm on my own....LOL.

Thanks!

Scott

Edited by RXP

You may have to wait for your son to come back.. :unsure:

Correct.. you just need to replace the characters so that it reads like the text I referenced above.

Typically you right click on the panel.cfg file

Select Open with..

Choose Notepad.

Bert

I don't give up that easy.  Plus, he won't be home for a couple of months.  

Ok, I understand the process (I hope) for the NOTEPAD edits you suggested.

As for the other situation, HOW do I replace the F1 GTN definition with the RXP version?  I would venture to say that is the problem here, although not sure how it happened.

Thanks again!

Edited by RXP

Hopefully I can clear this up for you..

Carenado supports an F1 GTN 750 in the Citation panel. That is all they offer..

SO, that is what you get when you run their little installation program.

The "definition" is those two lines in the panel.cfg file.

Replacing those two lines is all it takes to have the panel call for the RXP GTN instead.

It would be simpler if Carenado offered RXP GTN integration in the first place, as some aircraft vendors do.. you can talk to them about that if you wish..  :wink:

The way forward is to either figure out how to run the RXP conversion routine, or do it by hand as we have detailed above..

Best of luck.. it should work :smile:

Bert

Ok, I opened up the Carenado Citation Folder and "panel.cfg".  However, there is NOT an option to open with NOTE PAD.  There is a long list of items but not the NOTE PAD option.

Sorry to be a nuisance.

56 minutes ago, Wink22 said:

Ok, I opened up the Carenado Citation Folder and "panel.cfg".  However, there is NOT an option to open with NOTE PAD.  There is a long list of items but not the NOTE PAD option.

Sorry to be a nuisance.

Any text editor will do... Wordpad?

Just make sure it is saved as a text file with the same name.

You should be able to find Notepad on your Windows start menu.  :wink:

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

Bert, none of that worked, so I took a new approach.  I did not realize that the Reality XP GTN 750 and the F1 GTN are (2) seperate products altogether.  That was part of my confusion.

Thanks!

Scott

Edited by RXP