Sign in to follow this  
Treetops45

Vertigo Studios - All product on Sale?

2 hours ago, rooitou said:

And if you ask them nicely on their support page (after having purchased the original of course) , they might send you a free demo version of a Stearman duster they've been working on - it is brilliant!

The demo version is also available in the Sim Outhouse library: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?catid=219&linkid=25032

Greetings
Tim

My files in the Avsim File Library | Flightsim.to

i5 12600K | 32Gb | RTX 4080

Thanks to keithb77 for the link to the sale at Flightstore. The boxed set of DVDs arrived in the post today (four aircraft: F9F, F8F, SDB and P36, for a grand total of £5.95 including the P&P), Can't argue with that price. 🙂

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Just now, Chock said:

Thanks to keithb77 for the link to the sale at Flightstore. The boxed set of DVDs arrived in the post today (four aircraft: F9F, F8F, SDB and P36, for a grand total of £5.95 including the P&P), Can't argue with that price. 🙂

You guys are so lucky. It takes 4 to 6 months for normal mail to arrive here in South Africa nowadays, that is if it arrives at all and don't get looted. To get anything here safely and in good time, we have to use a courier at great expense. That same DVD set would have probably cost £15, just for shipping!

i7-12700KF, RTX 3080 12GB, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, ASUS PG348Q 34" ultra-wide monitor, Track IR 5, HP Reverb G2, Windows 10 64-bit

6 minutes ago, rooitou said:

You guys are so lucky. It takes 4 to 6 months for normal mail to arrive here in South Africa nowadays, that is if it arrives at all and don't get looted. To get anything here safely and in good time, we have to use a courier at great expense. That same DVD set would have probably cost £15, just for shipping!

Well, that's the advantage of digital downloads these days I suppose. Like most people I suppose, I've pretty much stopped buying software on physical media these days, but for that kind of price it was hard to say no. Will check them out later, but not before I've got to go and work on the real things at the airport for a few hours (real life can be so annoying sometimes lol)

Alan Bradbury

Yep, digital downloads certainly saved the day for us.

By the way, I have almost all of the Vertigo Studio aircraft and while the majority are hard-locked on installing into FSX folder only (ie folder selection greyed out), a few don't have that limitation and can be installed into FSX Steam and P3D. It seems aircraft created after mid-2011 don't have the limitation. They are the Stearman (16 Dec 2011), Vans RV8 (12 Dec 2011), TBM Avenger (16 Jul 2011) and Spad VII (28 Nov 2014).

Edited by rooitou

i7-12700KF, RTX 3080 12GB, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, ASUS PG348Q 34" ultra-wide monitor, Track IR 5, HP Reverb G2, Windows 10 64-bit

I've just flown the Vans and Stearman in P3Dv4 and they do work OK, unchanged from the DVD install.

The Stearman has no cockpit sounds anyway (just that big engine, and the whistle of wind in the wires 🙂 )

The Vans uses a DeadPixl custom gauge for cockpit sound, this is 32-bit and doesn't work.
If you want cockpit sounds, then the Virtavia Islander also uses that gauge and there is a fix here https://www.simforums.com/forums/islander-in-p3dv4_topic60395.html that may also work for the RV-7.

If you are installing into Windows 10, then some older DVDs used copy protection that isn't supported by W10.
Hopefully this isn't the case for the SBD etc, but if it is then I think the only option is to install to Windows 7 and copy the files.

Cheers
Keith

11 hours ago, keithb77 said:

If you are installing into Windows 10, then some older DVDs used copy protection that isn't supported by W10.
Hopefully this isn't the case for the SBD etc, but if it is then I think the only option is to install to Windows 7 and copy the files.

I was able to use the DVDs no problem on Windows 10. The DVDs look for your FSX folder on your system and you cannot change that installation path in the installer, but you could use a dummy FSX folder to do this if you did not have FSX installed (I installed it into the Steam version of FSX). It was then simply a case of copying the folders from FSX to P3D V4.4 to get them working just fine in the newer sim.

Here they all are, sat on the ramp in P3D 4.4:

ax0XLGZ.png

They all fly well in P3D, sounds work etc and are actually pretty nice simulations. Not all the switches in the VC do stuff, but most of the ones you would want to work, do actually do something. So considering that (if I don't include postage costs) they cost me literally fifty pence each, this is a good bargain. I'm pretty pleased to actually have an Douglas SBD Dauntless/A24 Banshee and a Curtiss Hawk 75/P36. Wanted both those in my sim for ages, and it's a nice bonus to have got the F9F and the F8F too.

Anyway, here's some fun facts about these aeroplanes which you might not know...

The Curtiss Hawk 75 (aka the P36 in US service) was actually a fairly advanced fighter for its day, although because it tended to come up against Luftwaffe pilots with more combat experience when it fought in 1939 and 1940, this has somewhat marred its reputation with some, but not everyone: It was initially suggested by Air Intelligence staff in the UK that when RAF pilots operating over France in 1941 began reporting that they were coming up against an impressive radial-engined fighter flown by the Luftwaffe, that what they were seeing was captured Hawk 75s in Luftwaffe service (and it is true that the Luftwaffe did indeed use some of them), but on this occasion they they were not often those captured Hawk 75s, but rather the then- new Focke-Wulf 190A, about which the Allies new surprisingly little until it started showing up in combat.

The SBD Dauntless is often regarded as purely a dive bomber, but of course its designation stood for Scout Bomber Douglas, indicating that it had a role as a scouting aircraft too. Being that it had good armor, four machine guns and was very manueverable, as well as being able to shoot backwards at anything pursuing it, it often did surprisingly well against lightweight and lightly-armoured Japanese fighters. It wasn't as fast as contemporary fighters, but if flown aggressively, it often demonstrated that it could actually hold its own against the Japanese Mitsubishi A6M, most famously on one occasion by US Navy aviator, Lt (JG) Stanley W. Vejtasa, who managed to destroy three Mitsubishi A6Ms in his SBD, shooting down two of them and smashing the wing off a third A6M when his SDB collided with it on a head on firing pass. Needless to say, he was transferred to fighters after that performance and went on to shoot down seven more enemy aircraft, all of them in one day! among the numerous decorations he was awarded, he is the only WW2 carrier-based aviator to be awarded the Navy Cross for actions as both bomber pilot and as a fighter pilot.

The F8F Bearcat had a fairly unique feature for an aeroplane: Its outer wingtips were deliberately designed to break off if the airframe exceeded 7.5Gs; the theory behind this was that if the aeroplane was overstressed in combat, rather than it bending and being almost impossible to repair whilst at sea on a carrier, it could instead have new wintips put on easily. Unfortunately, whilst it sounded like a good idea in theory, in practice the stresses put on it when making carrier landings and the less than brilliant tolerances of a wartime-manufatured aeroplane meant that it was more likely for one wingtip to break off rather than both of them, which would lead to dangerous control difficulties. Engineers tried to correct this by fitting an explosive bolt system which would blow off both wingtips at the detection of 7.5 Gs, but since this was dangerous for personnel working on the aircraft, the idea was completely abandoned and later versions just had beefed-up outer wings instead.

Although not an especially celebrated aeroplane, often being eclipsed by the much more photogenic and sleeker F-86 Sabre, the F9F Panther was a good combat aeroplane and it nevertheless has a few interesting claims to fame: Navy aviator Lt. Royce Williams managed to battle six MiG-15s single-handedly in his F9F, after he lost contact with his wingman whilst on a bombing mission over North Korea. Williams managed to destroy four of the MiGs before he was forced to withdraw, whereupon he successfully returned to his carrier. His F9F had sustained over 260 cannon hits and was deemed to be beyond economical repair, but it had nevertheless got him back to his ship. The F9F was also the combat mount of two of the most famous US aviators of all - Neil Armstrong and fellow astronaut John Glenn.

Edited by Chock
  • Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

deleted dual post

Edited by Chock
lag, dual post

Alan Bradbury

Ok

So when my discs arrive I'll need to dig out the old drive with FSX on it & let the PC find that , then copy over to P3D.

Have done that with several FSX only aircraft & it works.

T45

Bought the Vertigo Stearman soon after moving to FSX and have really enjoyed flying it over the years. It is a great aircraft for low and slow flying and has the added advantage of a very low VAS footprint which is great for flying over resource intensive addon scenery in FSX without having to worry about OOM issues. This as well as quite a number of other boxed products for FSX and FS9 are available for just £2 at Flightstore UK with some great bargains to be found in both aircraft and scenery for anyone  interested.

At just £2 each for the boxed versions at Flightstore UK, I couldn’t resist ordering the the Hellcat, Bearcat, SBD, Avenger and Vans at the Flightstore (total £13.95 including postage) and look forward to a few hours of cheap flying in a few new types when these arrive.

Bill

For anyone purchasing Vertigo products from Flightstore UK, be aware that Vertigo have a message on their support forum page that they no longer support boxed products purchased from that store as they are "old stock". I discovered this after finding that the SBD on loading has an engine fire (even if loaded with the engine off!) but I cannot find a way to get rid of this engine fire effect and support from Vertigo is non-existent. Poor show by Vertigo but I guess they don't want to see their sale prices (£15.99, which IMHO they are not worth) undercut by the £2 boxed versions from Flightstore UK.

Bill

14 hours ago, scianoir said:

For anyone purchasing Vertigo products from Flightstore UK, be aware that Vertigo have a message on their support forum page that they no longer support boxed products purchased from that store as they are "old stock". I discovered this after finding that the SBD on loading has an engine fire (even if loaded with the engine off!) but I cannot find a way to get rid of this engine fire effect and support from Vertigo is non-existent. Poor show by Vertigo but I guess they don't want to see their sale prices (£15.99, which IMHO they are not worth) undercut by the £2 boxed versions from Flightstore UK.

Bill

Perhaps try a message over on a SOH FSX Military forum - there are some bright technical folk there who like a coding challenge.

Had a similar problem with a Beaver & the answer was to make sure the Carb Cooling was on at start up, or as soon as possible after that, If not flame & sparks shot down the exhaust.

Still waiting for my discs. Dispatched 10 Jan'19 to East Coast USA. 9 days today. 

T45

• Upvote 1

Bill

Any joy re the SBD engine fire?

My discs arrived. The Stearman flies well, though the sound is a bit harsh.

The SBD replicates your engine fire. Prefer not to fly it with smoke pouring out the back!, although it does seem to go ok under those circumstances.🤨

T45

Further to my above post. i think I have solved the engine fire issue. I had a hunch that the fire was an "effect".

When the SBD is installed you are told to copy 13 files from SBD 'Effects' folder into the P3D 'Effect' folder. [or FSX if you are using FSX]

Among them are:

fx_VSSBD_fstage1.fx and fstage2.fx

I renamed them in the P3D 'Effects' folder & the fire has gone.

There is exhaust smoke on start up that comes from:

fx_SBD-EngStart.fx

but that clears as you take off.

Hope this helps

T45

• Upvote 1